Groaning power steering Silver Shadow II Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Groaning power steering Silver Shadow II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Grieve
Experienced User
Username: john116

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 03:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having recently (after 5 years) returned SRH40222 to the road, having done much work on it, I notice the power steering 'groans' somewhat, mostly parking, although it's just noticeable as well at driving speeds. Apart from replacing fluid and hoses, I haven't done any other work to the steering. It feels OK, just complains a little! Any suggestions in terms of fixing the noise, or were they just like that?

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 427
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 07:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John...
Check and replace the filter in the power steering reservoir. I had a similar issue on SRX2541. When the filter is not passing sufficient fluid, even though the level is proper, it results in a slight cavitation which causes the groaning...same as if the fluid level were to be low. New filter resolved my issue and hopefully will address yours as well. If you do not have a filter readily available, or while awaiting its delivery, you may be able to buy some time by removing and solvent washing the old filter and that may reduce the plugging of the element from "too much" to "a bit less". Again, that temporary workaround worked in my case. Good luck.

John Grieve
Experienced User
Username: john116

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 07:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't think the IIs had a filter......but thanks for the suggestion.

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 08:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's still probably air in the system. Jack the front of the car up and turn the wheels from full lock to full lock and see if the fluid level goes down any (or raises up and becomes foamy).

If the later, you'll need to wait for the foam to settle and add more fluid. Then run from lock to lock again, but shut off the engine as soon as foam re-appears. Wait for the foam to settle, and re-top-up. If there's a lot of air in the rack, you may need to do this several times.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: