Seats belts: late to early Silver Sha... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Seats belts: late to early Silver Shadow? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Beech
Experienced User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 05:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone transplanted late model Silver Shadow seat belts into an early car? My definition of early is Tootsie, SRX6816, a 1969 model. Her shoulder straps are separate from her lap belts and fixed. E.g. not especially convenient and thus, I find myself just using the shoulder belts. This will be a problem if I'm involved in an accident.

More modern 3-point systems, with a reel at floor level, would be a nice enhancement in my view. Anyway, I'm thinking the holes and reinforcement plates are there, and Crew likely used same for later version of the automobiles. Thus, while I'm a purist in terms of making irrevocable changes, this only holds true up to the point where safety enters the equation. Since I place a rather high value on my fat ass, I'm wondering if anyone may have information to shed light on the latest Silver Shadow from which I can reasonably expect to find suitable donor seat belts that would be a bolt in?

Alan Dibley
Experienced User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 08:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The reels on the shoulder belts on SBH10630 are bolted to the rear shelf using the bolts that should be used on your vehicle, I think?? Any later belts should fit, therefore (again with a couple of question marks)??

Alan D.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 09:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, Are you talking about front or rear belts?

Can you post a couple of pictures please.

From memory even the early shadows had inertia reel mountings (in the sill) for front belts so if that is what you are trying to achieve it should be possible.

Reproduction coloured period webbing and chrome buckles are also available with modern inertia reel fittings. Much prettier and in keeping for the older cars.

Feel free to give me a shout if you'd like more details. I will also have used shadow sets in stock if that is the way you'd prefer to go.

John Beech
Frequent User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 03:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul and Alan,

Many thanks for making time to respond, I appreciate it. I should have been more clear in my initial post. My interest is in both front and rear safety belts - but principally the front as I cannot remember the last time I carried back seat passengers other than a child safety seat, which is secured perfectly with only a lap belt.

Tootsie's front seats have an inertia-reel for the lap and 'feature' old fashioned fixed belts for the shoulders. Yes, two separate and distinct systems to fasten and release each time I enter and exit the car (pain in the hind quarters).
Two separate and distinct safety belt systems - hmmm!
- Two separate and distinct safety belt systems - rubbish!

Frankly, using these separate systems is something of a nuisance and it would be a 'great' enhancement in my view to replace the upper belt with a turnaround loop such that a single reel in the sill with a belt rising vertically to the loop from the sill would serve - as they do in today's cars - thus securing the user across both the lap and shoulder with one motion. I have seen drawings and photos of these for the front of the later vintage Silver Shadow, perhaps late Shadow II?

As for the rear, it would be great to also use a similar inertia-reel system (versus the lap-only set up) however, presently there are three lap-only safety belts - none on reels - installed in the car. And nothing already existing at the parcel shelf for the shoulder attach points. Thus, I rather suspect these won't happen (or not easily) but first, let's see what develops.

Finally, Paul, in terms of used belt sets, I would be perfectly happy if they're functional. I had intended to initially contact wrecking yards stateside, and Flying Spares offer used bits, too, but first I need to determine which model year may have the greatest likelihood of offering a functional donor. This, before contacting someone like Quick Fit SBS with an inquiry for reproductions. That said, I'd be quite pleased to deal with a fellow forum member in the alternative. Thanks for your kind offer!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 713
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 06:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WOW,

I can see why that is a pain.

Mine has factory fitted retractable front belts, with great hide trimmed stalk covers emanating from the tail shaft hump.

Rear belts were fitted later I think.

I do have this plate under the bonnet.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have never seen belts like that fitted. I think it must have been owned by a couple - one hating shoulders belts, the other insisting on one.

You will need to strip back the carpet at the bottom of the B post to see what is there.

Hopefully a plate held down with about 10 x 7/16 bolts.

You will need to remove the plate and check inside the sill cavity for brackets etc.

I'm pretty sure that they were very similar right the way through the Shadows.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: