Whitworth hand tools Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Whitworth hand tools « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Beech
Experienced User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, 25 November, 2016 - 02:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I gather Tootsie is equipped with Whitworth fasteners. Are they 'all' Whitworth, or are they mixed, e.g. with some being Whitworth and others being SAE and/or metric?

Anyway, while I have a decent selection of hand tools in both SAE and metric, I have zero in the way of Whitworth hand tools. Poking around on eBay leads me to find these surprisingly inexpensive tools tools:

1. 7pc socket set, 3/8" drive: 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16",3/8", 7/16", 1/2" for ~£10

2. 7pc DEEP well socket set, 3/8" drive: 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16",3/8", 7/16", 1/2" for ~£13

3. 23pc tap & die kit ~£15

4. 8pc combination (open/box) wrench set: 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2" and 9/16" for ~£15

5. 51-blade Whitworth/Metric screw pitch gauge: ~£5

6. Britool WhitWorth & S pipe spanner 221 7/16WW1/2BS- 3/8WW7/16BS for ~£5 (but with an atrocious quote of ~£20 for P&P to the US)

Questions:
1. Am I missing any obvious sizes or wrenches I should make extra effort to obtain, e.g. offset box wrenches? Or flare wrenches as for rigid brake lines? Speaking of which, are these Whitworth, or SAE - and is SAE and Imperial the same thing?

2. I see mention of BS tools - what are these? Or are they the same as BSF - British Standard Fine?

3. Are BA wrenches used just for electrical?

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, 25 November, 2016 - 03:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

I don't think there are any Whitworth fasteners on an SYI. I say "think" because I had an SYII, but I can't imagine they changed something like that between the two.

You will need BA wrenches. Not just for electric, but also for the dashboard screws, door handle hardware, etc.

SAE and Imperial are the same as regards wrenches. (You'll also sometimes hear AF for "across flats", which is again the same.)

Flare wrenches are definitely a plus on the brake system and the power steering. As are 3/8" drive wobble extensions for hard-to-reach places. (I can't recall ever needing any 1/2" wobble extensions, but that might just be poor memory.)

Note that an inexpensive tap is something you plug a hole with (after it breaks). I'd never buy anything but HSS taps, dear as they are.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Friday, 25 November, 2016 - 04:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John

I have never had any problem using SAE wrenches on my SY1.

I agree with Jeff that a set of BA wrenches would be very useful for the smaller setscrews and nuts that crop up all over the car. I have found the most common size is 2BA. The closest SAE is 11/32 but a 2BA wrench is much to be prefered.

Geoff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Friday, 25 November, 2016 - 04:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As above, A/F tools are fine and if you have metric tools already you will pretty much cover everything. 11/32 and 8mm will be useful to.

Watch 2BA tools - some are not 11/32 as used on our cars. Also some 2BA bolts have 8mm AF heads, just to keep it interesting :-)

15/16 & inch spanners are useful to.

Have fun :-)

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 370
Posted on Friday, 25 November, 2016 - 05:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Only BSF I have come across is grease plug on top of upper ball joints which I have replaced with nipples on my Shadow1 and SZ Bentleys.
Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: