Remote Control Solenoid Switch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Remote Control Solenoid Switch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Beech
Experienced User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, 25 November, 2016 - 02:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The red leather bound owner's manual that came with Tootsie has an addendum pasted in the front, and #1 refers to Remote Control Solenoid Switch. I suspect this is within the engine compartment, but I cannot find it. Help would be appreciated.

Owner's Manual Addendum #1: Remote Control Solenoid Switch
- Owner's Manual Addendum #1: Remote Control Solenoid Switch

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Friday, 25 November, 2016 - 03:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John

How great to have a manual button on the starter solenoid. Sounds like the starter solenoid is separate to the starter motor on your car. On mine the solenoid is part of the starter motor unit.

My car is a 1974 model, so unfortunately does not have this button. It is very useful as there is a lot of wiring between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid, all of which can cause a break in the circuit in these 40 year old cars. This button "short circuits" all this wiring. I nearly got stranded once with a fault that turned out to be a faulty starter relay. After about 15 mins of trying, the engine eventually cranked and started. How useful this button would have been.

According to the manual the switch is bolted to the accelerator bracket. If not it will almost certainly be in that area of the engine bay, as this is closest to the starter motor below.

Safety Tip: Make sure the gear selector is in P before pressing the button - lol.

Geoff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Friday, 25 November, 2016 - 04:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unless your gar was VERY early it will not have this feature. It is a rubber cover on the end of the starter solenoid next to the accelerator linkage bracket.

You can cross the large terminals with a spanner or similar (does the same job as the button.)

Make sure that the large connectors are insulated and that the handbrake cable is free and adjusted . . . the two like to warm things up if they ever get to meet!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: