Cheap "Road Warrior" Shadow I on cars... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Cheap "Road Warrior" Shadow I on carsales « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Adlam
Frequent User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, 12 November, 2016 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Morning Gents

Just bumped into this Shadow I on Carsales. $12000

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-1971/SSE-AD-4367970/?Cr=7

Sure, she is somewhat tired in the cosmetics but the seller sounds legit and knowledgeable. Maintenance sounds reasonably current and correct. During my search I found that cars in this price bracket to be utter basket cases, even some that were $5K-$10K more. This one might actually be worth saving and enjoying.

Any thoughts?.

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, 12 November, 2016 - 01:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the word all the kids are using these days is 'patina'.

There's a saying in the vintage watch world to 'buy the seller before you buy the watch', and the seller sounds honest enough.

You can't keep running a Shadow continuously for 30 years on bod4ges and half measures. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there are unoriginal/aftermarket fixes and solutions to otherwise expensive problems.

I would have seriously considered this car if I hadn't purchased my SRH23650.
At the asking price, as long as nothing major comes up, I couldn't see losing much money on it if/when the buyer decides to sell.

I quite like the red, you don't see it often.

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, 12 November, 2016 - 02:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What put it into perspective for me (and earned my respect) was actually working out the numbers.

The seller bought a then 15 year old RR and ran it continuously for 30 years; albeit occasionally in recent times; no storage or restoration.

The modern equivalent would be buying a Seraph/Arnage today and keeping it until 2056; at which I would be 60 years old.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, 12 November, 2016 - 07:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff

It sounds like the seller has tried to do the right thing by the old girl and knows his RR's. Preferable to buying from the blissfully ignorant "poser" who couldn't give a hoot, except for that shiny grille and admiring glances- from the opposite sex of course!.

I did some crunching and it's *possible* to have this car in *reasonable* all-round driver condition for $20K- assuming you're mech minded, and good on the tools. If you fall in love with her, you could carry out more serious rejuvenation in stages over time.

Lets assume the car is as-described and there's no serious rust or driving/braking issues evident.

* Offer $10K, chances are you'll get it, especially if you're interstate.
* $2K-$3K - Service, tune and checkover. Essential/roadworthy repairs. If the mechanic calls "basket case" then at least you'll be able to stop work, offload and easily move on.
* $2K - Essential rust and paint touch-ups, good cut and polish. Mobile paint guys are MUCH cheaper than panel shops and do surprisingly reasonable work. Remember, this is a driver car.
* $1500- Rego and insurance.
* $1000-$1500- Summer is coming, so AC repairs (Recond compressor, new TX valve and Drier + gas, labour and maybe a leaking joint or two). I did exactly that, plus replaced both hoses and all O-rings. Total cost $1K, although I did ALL the donkey work myself. The AC guy simply checked my work then gassed it.
* $1500 - Door cappings or the dash refinished. Leave the other for another day- I've seen worse woodwork than this on $25K cars. If you love the summer heat, leave the AC repair and get it all done. You could even do it all yourself.
* $500- Various bits and bobs you'll need (floor mats, cleaning stuff, etc etc.)

The rest you can do yourself while having fun- minor adjustments, cleaning, scrubbing, painting, tweaking, etc etc.

You'll now have a Shadow that owes approx $20K and has been serviced, tuned and essentially repaired.

One thing I found is that even nice $30K cars need a few grand spent to bring up to snuff. There's always *something*.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, 13 November, 2016 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Grubby driver's door card puts me off as it implies that the owner/mechanic didn't care a lot. Check the condition of the trunk/boot carpet, if it's dirty and worn that might substantiate my opinion. Body looks OK in the photos but thoroughly check underneath. Rust spots that have been present for years signifies that the owner couldn't be bothered attending to them. Engine bay looks reasonably tidy but may have been recently steam cleaned. If you're interested bring along an advisor who really knows these cars and what pitfalls to look out for.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, 13 November, 2016 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a saying that "buyers are liars" which I have found to actually be more typical of sellers. Only difference between sellers is that a dealer will lie outright whereas the private party is more prone to simply lie out of ignorance.

I don't believe the 30,000 or so mileage for a car that was a daily driver for 5 years, then less so for the next several years, unless that "daily drive" was only out to the curb to check the mailbox. More likely 130,000.

I just saying.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 652
Posted on Sunday, 13 November, 2016 - 04:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents.
Corrimal is about 1 hour from me.
If anyone wants me to go run an eye over the car and drive it.
Just let me know.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 653
Posted on Sunday, 13 November, 2016 - 07:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is another interesting one gents.

Factory sunroof is unusual.
Looks pretty honest for a 67 model.
Would like some under bonnet images.
A bit pricey though.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-/272441287477?hash=item3f6ec42335:g:keMAAOSwB09YIHDd

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 06:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pat, thanks for the kind offer.

I have a friend who's been inspired by my Shadow but on a fairly tight budget- not good for RR ownership, but crazier things happen in this world. I've passed all of this onto him and will get back if he's interested.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 658
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 07:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nick,

It would be a good excuse to take a look myself.

I hate the sheepskin covers, and would be very interested to see the colour and condition of the seats.

The blue may look better if fully seen with the covers off.

Let me know what I can do.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 659
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 07:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nick,
I'd start him at $8k

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 08:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat, I'm always loathe to take advantage of someone's misfortune but it sounds like the seller is very keen to move the car on. If you snagged it for $8K and it's close to it's description, you can't go wrong. If a basket case, simply resell- possibly for a profit.

If she was beyond hope, I'd simply "scrub and tub" in car dealer talk, have some fun tinkering, then move on and put it down to experience.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 660
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 09:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agree 100% there with you mate.

Any of the old ones are interesting to look at.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: