Direction Signals Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Direction Signals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Mangan
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 184.15.181.40
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2016 - 03:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yesterday I drove my car for the first time in a couple of weeks. Making a turn, I hit the signal, there was no clicking as there usually is , and the little green arrows didn't appear. Help ! LRA 14501 1972 LWB}

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2016 - 07:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael,

First thing I would check is battery voltage when the engine is running above 1000rpm with the headlights on full beam, the voltage should be 13.5V or higher. If not, the battery connections and alternator drive belt tension should be checked, adjusted as necessary and the test repeated. If the voltage is still low, have the alternator output checked by an auto electrician if you do not have the equipment and experience to do it yourself.

If the battery voltage is above 13.5 volts, the first item to check is the indicator flasher module. Remove the module, clean the contacts with electrical contact cleaner/isopropyl alcohol, replace the module and see if this fixes the problem. if this does not fix the problem, remove, clean and reconnect the cable connector[s] for the fuse board [check all the fuses for continuity and corrosion at this time - replace if suspect].

If this has not fixed the problem, check the indicator module base connectors for voltage with the ignition on. No voltage means a wiring problem. If there is voltage, replace the module with a known working module.

The most common causes of your problem in order of likelihood is:

1. Low battery voltage

2. Poor electrical connections/blown fuse

3. Faulty/failed indicator module.

Good luck in finding and fixing the problem.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2016 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This happened to me and it was simply that the flasher unit had become dislodged.

Open the fuse box under the dashboard and check that the flasher unit is plugged in properly.

Michael Mangan
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 184.14.216.127
Posted on Saturday, 29 October, 2016 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David , Bob, thank you for your suggestions.. I went under the dash and sure enough the flasher unit was loose. Problem solved !

(Message approved by david_gore)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 614
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 05:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Always good to read about a quick and easy solution

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 09:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

if one requires the click to be louder simply attach the flasher unit to a piece of aluminium which will amplify the click.

This feature is fitted to many cars and some simply use the flasher unit mounting bracket.

Modern stuff use an electronic flasher unit which flashes regardless of load.
So should one desire LED bulbs then an electronic unit is required.

LED bulbs work well as turn signals because the are faster than normal bulbs and go full brightness fast like a strobe.

Originally I scoffed at LED bulbs but having played with them I recommended them as a up grade.

Since then I have fitted LED front side light bulbs and the difference is amazing, white and crisp

especially hard to get at bulbs like dash lighting. Bulbs are available in green and they dim when panel lights are dimmed.

Incidentally I never turn the dash lights off or dim them. l like the green glow.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2016 - 01:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"David , Bob, thank you for your suggestions.. I went under the dash and sure enough the flasher unit was loose. Problem solved !"

BINGO! That saved 2 days of electrical fault-finding, voltage measuring, and head scratching!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: