Trickle charging through cigarette li... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Trickle charging through cigarette lighters? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, 20 October, 2016 - 06:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like to put my cars on maintenance chargers if they sit for more than a week or so.

I have a power socket hanging from the ceiling in my garage, and have previously charged my MGB through it's cigarette lighter with a DIY attachment. It's easy as I just switch off the power and pull out the lighter plug when I'm ready to start it, instead of fumbling with battery terminal clips.

I was thinking of trying the same with SRH23650 via the left rear cigarette lighter socket, as the rear door is almost directly below my mains outlet and would be much more convenient than through the trunk. Are the lighter sockets in the doors always live?

Anyone tried this or see any reason it wouldn't work? One way diodes maybe?

Just asking out of laziness (but we'll call it convenience for now).

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Thursday, 20 October, 2016 - 06:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It will work fine :-)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Friday, 21 October, 2016 - 07:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

I would only trickle charge through the lighter socket keeping the amperage around 6 amps or less to avoid possible overheating of the socket and associated wiring.

The use of the lighter involves a higher current for a short period of time so overheating is not normally a problem. A similar current over a longer period may result in heating of the socket/wiring with the temperature induced by the heating depending on the current, charging time and ambient temperature.

If you experience the Shadow "flat battery" syndrome when your car is not driven weekly for 30/45 minutes or more, I suggest you consider installing a battery isolation switch on the boot lining next to the battery plus the installation of a high-amperage charger connection.

Solves two problems at once......

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul and David.

The maintenance charger I have is just that, with a max output of 1.5A.

I have been driving my car at least once a week for 30min, so it's not a problem yet, I just find that as in life, if I make the solution easier, I will naturally use it more.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff
Thats exactly what I do during off road periods ok
Just make sure it's a good fit, I think the RR/B sockets are a bit bigger than standard ok
Mike

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 02:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks

Here's my tuppence worth. I isolate my car electrics every time I park it at home in the garage. Takes about 20 seconds - lift the boot and flick the isolator switch. It protects against the risk of an electrical fire in the 40 year old wiring. I know this risk is very small, but it is of high consequence. A fire in the garage will not only take out the car, but the house as well.

So for me personally, I will continue with using clips on the battery terminals with the car electrics isolated. It takes less than a minute to connect up the charger.

Geoff

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 04:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 12 volt caravan socket in the boot of my cars, whereby I can put the battery switch off, but the socket remains live. The socket is connected direct to the battery, with a line fuse very close to the positive terminal. The charger then just plugs in. I always put the battery switch off when the cars are not being used, after a friend's Landrover self ignited one night due to a faulty switch in the dashboard.
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 05:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark

That's a great system. David alluded to it above. I did check out sockets online however could not find anything specific for cars. I will check out caravan sockets instead. Maybe this is where I will find something suitable. I like the idea of this upgrade as it saves pulling off the battery cover every time I want to charge the battery. Not a big deal I know, but the socket will give things a more professional feel.

Geoff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 06:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have a look at magnetic connectors. NICE and easy. Ring do some.

Unless a cigar lighter socket is something you will use as an outlet to.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 07:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I isolate my battery with the switch provided in the boot.

A simple socket and plug combo will do for charging. 1/4 audio jacks will take 10amps.

my rear cigar lighters are disconnected because of children.

safety tip.

when working on car electrics if the negative or positive terminal is connected to the battery with crocodile clips and a line fuse in series this will protect the electrics in the car should one short out something. use say a 10 amp or less fuse. if the starter is engaged the fuse will blow.

magnetic connectors are good for this application.

Charge rate by rule of thumb is 10% OF AMP HOUR RATING. 75ah = 7.5 amps MAX.

I have 3 battery chargers a big 160 / 25 amp starter charger and a cheap 3amp and an expensive 7.5amp 3 stage charger. I use the cheap 3 amp jobbie for maintenance charging.

Absaar do good robust chargers from approx £30 to 200.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 599
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As Geoff rightly says, I isolate my car everytime I put it away.
However I usually drive my car at least 1 or 2 hours whenever I get into it based on where I live.
My car has a Lucas isolation switch with a Lucas mini charging port. Looks like a tiny cigarette lighterr.

The charger is an electronic charger that will switch on and off automatically.

I've never needed to use the charger since owning the car.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 05:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm with Pat, Geoff and others on this- isolate the battery when not in use. You'll always sleep better and thieves will have another obstacle to overcome.

These are old cars- wires vibrate/chaff/perish and can short out. Things do go bump in the night!.

As for the clock?- one should never be in a hurry or watching time when cruising in a double-R!.

Harry Heuchan
Frequent User
Username: harry_heuchan

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, 08 September, 2018 - 06:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I post here my particular solution to this issue in case fellow SY and derivative owners are interested

Pic 01

Attached permanently across the battery I have wired a voltmeter so I can ascertain the battery’s charge condition. Further, I have wired in a switch to the Negative (Earth/Chassis) side of the battery. When turning off (if the car is not to be driven for a long time) the battery switch disconnects all but the voltmeter and the battery external charge circuit.

Pic 02h

I have found this charger to be good value.

Pic 03h

I have fitted a Hi-Intensity Red coloured LED to the boot lid catch that operates in parallel with the existing (LED) Boot lamp. This boot catch LED is in case of a night-time FTP and shines with considerable brightness with the boot lid up. The light also doubles as an indicator as to the status of the battery On/Off switch.

pic 04h

The battery external charge circuit is via the drop down side door and is wired across the battery (and importantly fused on both the negative and positive sides)

Pic 05h

The side door too has a micro switch attached, with a buzzer alarm in case I forget to close the door when starting the car. The charge cable folds inside the jacking point when not in use. The arrangement does not interfere with the normal functions of the jack.

All circuits are appropriately fused.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Sunday, 09 September, 2018 - 04:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A very neat and well thought out modification which only adds value to your car Harry.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: