Lubrication of pesky little linkages Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Lubrication of pesky little linkages « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, 20 October, 2016 - 06:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So my standard method of oiling all the little linkages (throttle, HVAC flaps, locking actuators etc) has been rather crude, simply dipping a coathanger wire into ATF and letting it drip/wick off as required.

I was going through a bunch of old stuff my mother gave me from spring cleaning (she's a nurse), and found some 3-5cc syringes and disposable hypodermic needles.

I had a rare brainwave moment and thought I would see if ATF was thin enough to get through it needle. Turns out it was, and offers great control dispensing single drops of oil where required.

I stored it taped upright to the wall with the needle cover on ready for next use.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 601
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 03:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice idea Jeff.
Great ingenuity.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Wednesday, 26 October, 2016 - 05:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

maintenance sprays with the small red straw extension thingy.

WD40 is only 40 days so use a different make such as 3 in 1 oil for sewing machines and push bikes.

ATF or engine oil both good for general oil it jobs. Westco pump squirty oil can does most things.

The seals in medical syringes usually rots out with oil.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Wednesday, 26 October, 2016 - 06:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The name WD40 has absolutely nothing to do with a lifespan of the lubricant component being only 40 days. See WD40's own history webpage.

Although the lubricating properties of WD40 are on the light end of the spectrum, the stuff does hang around. It's not my favorite general purpose lubricant but it does have its purposes in that arena. It's got lots of purposes in general.

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 608
Posted on Wednesday, 26 October, 2016 - 07:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
I use 140 weight Nulon transmission oil for all linkages on my 25 Chev.
All brake, hand brake, (emergency brake in the Chev book) clutch rods & crossover linkages, throttle, carby, choke, hand throttle and mechanical advance linkages.
I do this once a year, and really don't need to do it as the linkages are still very oily after 1000 miles and 12 months.
It also does not drip on the floor if applied properly.
This plus greasing roughly 30 Alamite grease nipples takes me a solid 2 hours.
I do this while the sump drains.
I also use the 140 in the transmission for slowing the gears for a smoother shift into first, plus easy double clutch gear shifts.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Wednesday, 26 October, 2016 - 07:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have found Inox MX3 to be more suitable than WD40 as it does not dry out and has good penetrating and surface adhesion properties. The only problem is you have to use a solvent degreaser if you have to subsequently paint a surface that has been affected by over-spray if Inox has been applied by a trigger pack sprayer.

http://www.inoxmx.com/

Their MX4 lanolin lubricant is excellent for arduous climatic conditions and/or severe industrial/mining applications.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: