Stuck hydraulic lifter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Stuck hydraulic lifter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Lacey
Frequent User
Username: dlacey

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, 12 October, 2016 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,
A friend is resurrecting a '62 cloudII with an early V8. It's running but has two very noisy tappets, with the cam cover off I can feel two rockers have 1-2mm of clearance, I assume the hydraulic lifters are not operating properly. Today we try the muscle car V8 trick of adding ATF to the engine oil to try to clean up the lifters...desperation...
Any other suggestions on actions to free a stuck lifter.??

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, 12 October, 2016 - 01:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David...
I have had success with "Jones Motor Purr Tune Up" in similar circumstances. www.motorpurr.com

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 07:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you checked for bent push rods?

David Lacey
Frequent User

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 08:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
Yes, and have already replaced 2. But not on these cylinders..these cyls checked as straight.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

:-(

Probably be best to take them out, strip and clean them.

In general they do clear up slowly by themselves in most cases and tend to get better with use (months sometimes), but they usually improve early on so if they are not quieting down at all I would start to worry.

Good luck .

David Lacey
Frequent User

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 05:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, the ATF treatment didn't work...looks like we may need to dig in and service those followers.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 07:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David...
Before you give up entirely on the "quick fix" plan, do get a bottle of the Motor Purr. Probably about $12 plus shipping on EBay in case your local (Malaysia?) parts stores do not stock. It is designed to quickly address "sticky" issues.
When I got my Shadow, the engine had an ominous knock (tappets, or otherwise unknown, but noisy) on cold start up that eventualy quieted down. The product was recommended by the local RR/B service facility. Upon installation the next morning, the problem, whatever it was, went away and has never reoccured. Needless to say, I was very relieved.
Your results may vary, but it is not pricey and gives prompt results if the nature of the problem is one that an additive treatment can affect. It evaporates from the oil within 24-48 hours so is not latent.
On the other hand, your problem may be something more serious than simply sticky oil lifters that no "quick fix additive" will improve or resolve. All I can say is that it did the trick in my instance, thus the suggestion.

John Beech
Experienced User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 04:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

No resolution or follow up since October? What did you do, tear it down, or . . . ? Inquiring minds want to know what you discovered.

John, still kicking himself for not purchasing a nice 1959 Cloud when the opportunity presented itself.

David Lacey
Frequent User

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, 08 June, 2017 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The problem continues, unchanged after the various witches brew treatments...the car is now waiting for some cam follower surgery

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, 09 June, 2017 - 01:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SURE I REMEMBER READING IN W/SHOP MANUAL, CLOUD2/3 OR EARLY SHADOW THAT IT CAN TAKE TAKE UP TO 20-30 MILES ON ROAD TO BLEED AND BECOME QUIET. tHEY USED TH RATTLE LIKE HELL ON START UP AFTER TOP END WORK, AND THEN GRADUALLY QUIET DOWN OVER HALF HOUR RUNNING. THAT SAID, LAST CLOUD 3 WE HAD AS DEALER, WE HAD TO STRIP AND REPLACE SOME WHEN BRAND NEW -MY INTRODUCTION TO R-R!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Friday, 09 June, 2017 - 07:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I remember a lot of mechanics forgot to bleed the lifters before fitting, this can cause some real issues.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: