Alternator output at idle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Alternator output at idle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 05:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having learnt the intricacy of choke operation, I have another newbie owner question as I try to determine a baseline for what's normal running.

Sitting in some rather heavy traffic today with the aircon running nicely, I noticed a slight discharge reading on the ammeter (in Drive with foot on brake), but only 1-2 amps at most.

I put it into Neutral and released the brakes and the ammeter jumped back to it's usual 1-2amp +ve reading. As soon as any throttle was applied, the ammeter showed a healthy charging system.

I tried this scenario again, this time with the headlamps on, and this time, the ammeter showed a higher -ve reading, around 10amps discharge at idle. Again, 'normal' expected readings as soon as I pulled away (higher +ve reading to replenish the battery, then back to +1-2amps to maintain).

Battery volts at idle tested at 14.4v and the GEN warning lamp never came on.

My first thought was that due to the low warm idle in Drive, the alternator was not spinning fast enough to keep up, supported somewhat by shifting to Neutral slightly raising the idle (and amps).

Thoughts or insights?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 05:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As long as the battery voltage is not dropping then I wooud not worry.

A slightly low idle is better for the drive train.

Check belt condition and tightness as well though.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 05:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff

Your alternator sounds fine. As Paul mentioned- check belts and idle speed. Compared to Bosch and Japanese alternators, I've found these CAV units to be a little on the lazy side at idle RPMs.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: