Choke operation for a newbie owner Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Choke operation for a newbie owner « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 08:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having owned SRH23650 (standard/no smog equipment) for all of two days now, I'm still confused as to how to start the car.

I have read some of the following from various sources.
- Just turn the key and don't touch the throttle, the choke will set itself
- Fully depress the throttle once to 'set' the choke prior to starting

Twice today on a semi warm engine (50*c water temp), it started and went into a high idle (enough to jolt into gear). I tried tapping the pedal to disengage the high idle to no avail, and I thought, "Great, I've already broken it!"
But once on the road I went full throttle to get into traffic, and after that, she returned to her normal low tickover.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 09:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff,

Down and off to set the choke is right.

Try tapping the pedal with a little more gusto. Fast taps but enough to rev the engine up very briefly.

Also check that the fast idle cam is not sticking. They like to do that and then lots of kicks are needed.

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 09:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Paul, I think you nailed it with the fast idle cam. Playing it with the linkage just now, I can see how at full throttle, there's another 'tongue' that manually pushes the fast idle cam home, which I'm guessing is what happened earlier today, when it just needed one big hearty kick.
Worst case I can just poke it home with something...

Is there a preferred method of lubrication for the fast idle cam? It seems to ride on a pointy screw, which I imagine can't be great for wear compared to a round end...

There sure are a lot of little linkages and adjustments; I'm mighty glad I cut my teeth on an MGB first...

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff,

Dont't lube the cam face , just the pivot point / shaft.

It relies on friction on the point as well as spring tension. Wear is not a problem.

Cheers, Paul.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 05:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff

A little off-topic but great to hear you've bought a Shadow- well done. You might remember we exchanged a message or two while you were still looking?.

Any chance of a few photos?.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 548
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 06:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nick,
Check towards the bottom of this thread for a pic of Jeff's Shadow.
http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/22098.html?1475366743

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 06:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nick,
I do remember our brief exchanges, with your advice proving to be very helpful when looking for a car.

Here are a few pictures, the color is hard to capture as it's a bronze-ish metallic rather than a flat brown. It's had a repaint from 15yrs ago, but the original color was 'Walnut' so it wasn't really a color change.

Walnut1Walnut2

It's tight, but I managed to clear enough space for both cars for now, although there's not much room to work on them.
(I feel this last pic captures the bronze best, as the light hits the metallic around the curvy bits)
Walnut3

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 550
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 08:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great pics Jeff
Thanks for posting them.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 08:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

Your real problem is which car to take in the morning. If it's raining I guess it would be an easy call.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: