SY2 Scuttle Drains - Where do they en... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » SY2 Scuttle Drains - Where do they end "down below"? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 07:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,

I have decided to at least try to get "back in the saddle" and start working on SRH33576 again. One of the things that needs to be replaced is the scuttle intake filter, so I popped the intake grate off yesterday.

Here's what I found:

Right Side Drain - Runs Free

Left Side Drain - Very Slow/Clogged

[BTW, that white thing you see is the washer fluid hose. I don't know who installed this originally, but it's what came with the car.]

The right side drain runs freely and when I dump water in that side it immediately splashes out below. So quickly, in fact, that I can't make it to the ground quickly enough to catch the end of stream.

The left drain is virtually clogged. It does drain, glacially slowly, but such that I can't really tell where the end of it is down below. I have already gently run a plastic snake down the tube in case the blockage was in there, but it appears it is not.

I recall in one issue of Tee-One Topics that the end of these drains has a "check valve" of sorts that is sort of like a pair of rubber "lips" that sometimes stick shut, but I believe this was on the SY1 and that there was a single drain (but I could be mistaken).

In any case, does anyone happen to know or, even better, have a photograph of where these things terminate near the firewall, so that I know what I'm looking for when I get her up on ramps?

Brian

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 08:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian, I have a rust problem at the bottom of the wheel arch/forward section of the sill just behind the passenger side front wheel. I was poking at the area the other day and could see the end of the drain tube virtually resting on the bottom of the wheel arch/sill. I think it should drain out through the drain hole at the forward end of the sill. When I cut out the rusty metal and have new metal welded in I think I'll leave a hole in the replacement section and extend the drain tube out through it as it appears that water gathers in this area, Larry

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 08:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

Interesting. My right side one drains far closer to the center of the automobile. It seems like it must come down somewhere near the transmission bell housing.

Brian

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 09:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, It's possible that my left hand drain pipe is not in the original intended location, I'm not sure but I know that somebody previously did a botched rust repair to the front outer sill between the A post and the rear of the wheel arch and it's possible that the drain pipe on my car (SRH37125) was moved at that time, Larry

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 09:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Correct Brian.

The end is round with a rubber slit in it black in colour.

The weight of water in the drain forces the lips apart and the water dribbles out. Muck and shite can block the lips.

These are fitted to many cars and I have seen them removed for better water flow with no ill effects but have no experience of a shadow so modified. So I would check that they are clean and water dribbles out and leave them as crewe intended.

Air con drain is similar and in a SS1 central over the bell housing.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian

There's a photo in tee-one topics, vol25 page 349. The article is about hydraulics but Bill does arrow one of the drain pipes in the accompanying photo and references it in the caption.

Geoff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian , the 'frogs mouths' are reachable from the engine bay.

One will be tucked behind the gearbox dip stick tube. About 6"down and next to the blower motor. Slightly inboard.
The left one is easier to get to on a RHD. . .not sure about LHD.

You should be able to wiggle a hand down to them and stick a finger in the mouths to open the lips and finger any dirt or blockage out.

You can also use a cable tie from the scuttle side to loosen any impacted dirt.

Be gentle and do not pull the valve off the hose.

Good luck with them.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 638
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 07:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry I also found the same rubber hose as you did on the nearside lower wheel arch, and the same rust, I will have a look and try to find the one that Paul says is there, (thanks for that Paul).

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 639
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 07:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a thought would the hose on the near side have anything to do with the air conditioning.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 531
Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2016 - 05:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good luck with the drains Brian.

Mate,
Where did you get the filter sponge from?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 03:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

If by "filter sponge" you mean the scuttle filter that's generally made of open cell sponge-like material, I stopped using those several years ago. They don't do a great job of filtering and if/when they do begin to break down it tends to be in "large" bits that get sucked into the system and blown out at you. I had bits of these things blowing out at me from SRH33576 for several years after I first got her.

What I have been using instead, and it offers better filtration, is non-woven filter fabric, also frequently sold as weed mat:

Weed Mat from distance

Weed Mat close up

Weed Mat ultra close up

that is very similar to this - http://www.homedepot.com/p/6-ft-x-300-ft-Black-Polypropylene-Non-Woven-Filter-Fabric-35-6-300/204268187. Of course I did not buy a bolt nearly this large for this job.

Another option I've considered, but have been too lazy to follow up on, is fine nylon mesh that's intended for air filtration. Below are some photos of a waffle-weave version of this that's used on my dehumidifier at home (including some very fine dust on it from my parrot, who creates dust far finer than our cars need to filter).

Nylon Filter Mesh from distance

Nylon Filter Mesh close up

Both have much better staying power than the open-cell foam, both filter better without causing the fans to be overworked, and both are commonly available. I'm actually cutting a new piece of the non-woven filter fabric when I finish up with the drain unclogging exercise, since it's due for a change.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 04:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian

A Parrot!!! You never told us you've got a parrot. That's cute.

I like your idea of the home aircon filter. However is it really necessary to have a filter at all? My car hasn't got one and I've never felt the need to fit one. I usually drive with the window down anyway.

I am missing something here?

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 05:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Parrots. I have four.

Three here at home: Jack, a blue and gold macaw, Tater Tot, a Senegal parrot, and Pepper, an African gray/grey.

One at my partner, Jim's, studio: Chili, a yellow-naped Amazon.

Back to the filter. Mine didn't have one when I acquired it, but the scuttle openings are so large that way too much detritus can simply fall in to clog up the drains. Even with the hardware cloth shelf I built to hold the filter (the Crewe original piece was already gone on SRH33576) it's too open if you live near a water oak (and I do). I think the filter is mostly about the drains, not the climate control system. It's certainly nothing like the modern cabin filters which look for all the world like the air filter cartridges but a different shape.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 06:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian

I was missing something! You've just explained the importance of the filters, or at least making sure the drains are clear. I've never checked mine.

Although I never choose to go out in the Rolls if it's raining, there is always the possibility of being caught in a deluge after you've gone out. That would be a bad time to find the drains were blocked.

Thanks for the info. It's on my todo list.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 535
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 07:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great info gents,
I will start to look elsewhere for something more robust.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 536
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 07:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,
There is nothing better than driving a Shadow on a good day with the window down that's for sure.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 07:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Spirits progressed to fine metal mesh and no foam and abandoned the expanded metal mesh.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 537
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 07:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info Paul,
It does seem that the filter was more for filtering debris rather than anything else?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 08:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the filter fitted to the shadow were intended to last the life of the car. Modern cars as Mr Vogel stated are just like engine air filters and are easy to change and part of a big service.

If the filter is missing then i would replace it with something to catch the bigger stuff like leaves because it turns to mud other wise. A piece of PLASTIC sacking will do, such is found on the bottom of cheap sofas black in colour.

I cleaned my valves out about 10 years ago and they were clear and working fine so now I dont bother no sign of water so assume ok.

Some of these modern cabin air filters are quite expensive like £30 for Volvo T5. i used to avoid changing them on police cars to save money but the baby policemen complained the they might get chest infections, arr diddums, bless them. On private cars I gave them a choice blow out or new filter or nothing at all most went for the free nothing option. as long as air came out of vents at a good rate then every bodies happy.

So cabin air filters only really need checking if its blocked and for its actual presence, some nasty engineers like me have been known just to remove the blocked ones.

Cleaning the rubber valves out is easy locate squeeze and stick a pinky in and wiggle it around a bit

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 538
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 08:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great insight Robert,

Mine only needs replacing as it is starting to break down. Little holes are opening up in it.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 06:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, the scuttle filters are a service item, available from FS. Likewise the Spirit series.I find they last about 2 years before they self destruct.
Mark

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 542
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2016 - 06:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark,

I will check them out.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2016 - 07:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I didn't realize FS supplied them:

http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/air-intake-pollen-filter-ub19273.html

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 543
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2016 - 07:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For once an affordable part Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 592
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
SY scuttle filter supplied by Richard at Spur Parts in Mascot.
$16.23 + GST
Got mine today.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: