Easiest way through firewall for gaug... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Easiest way through firewall for gauge wiring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So the first thing on my to-do list for SRH23650 is to install a water temp gauge.

My problem is that these cars are so well built, I'm struggling to find a nicely located grommet to thread the sender wire through the firewall.

The best/only one readily accessible is the steering column blanking plug, but that's on the left side, quite far away from the thermostat housing. (I'm using a thermocouple washer style sender to put under one of the thermostat housing bolts)

Anyone have any insights or advice?

Jeff.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 01:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are usually spare pins in the multi connectors you can use. No need to drill or puncture.

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 01:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul; you have me intrigued. By what you're saying, I'm guessing there are connectors that go through the firewall with multi plugs on the engine and cabin side? I've never heard of this, but it sure makes sense for ease of service.

I was just hoping to find where a wire/loom goes through the firewall and stuff the sensor wire through with the others...

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 01:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Below the blower motors Jeff.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 05:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff

I fitted a temp gauge to my car and it is the best thing I have done. Being able to monitor the engine temperature in these cars is an absolute must.

I found a grommet on the bulkhead that was already carrying a wire so pushed the wire for my sender unit through it. I later discovered that some idiot previous owner had run a wire from the ignition/starter switch in the car directly to the starter motor solenoid switch, by-passing the starter relay which presumably had failed at some point. It's an idiotic thing to do as it loads the ignition switch terminals with a much higher current than they are designed for. needless to say I have replaced the starter relay, as should have been done in the first place. One of the problems of owning these 40 year old cars is you come across these bodges, all to save but a few bucks. Anyway, here's a pic of my wire, for what it's worth, albeit through a grommet which I now realize should not have been punctured in the first place. Paul's is a much better way if you can locate a wire, as it will be better concealed and just plain neater.

wire

As a point of interest I fitted my sender unit right up close to the cylinder liners. If you remove the U shaped air duct from the left side carb you can see a small rectangular plate against the engine crankcase. I removed this plate and used it to fit the sender unit for my car.

gauge

Here's a link to the fitting of my gauge. It is a discussion with many other members of the forum which led to my particular solution.

Where are you fitting the gauge?

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 05:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/18164.html?1440447646

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 08:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I decided to do some digging this afternoon and found that Geoff's blank grommet (into the fresh air intake, then another from there into the cabin) was the easiest way to route the sender.

The gauge I am using is a pre-wired all-in-one gauge I had, which uses a CHT washer style sender.
It's company is "Engine Watchdog" if anyone is interested. Also has a peak memory and custom warning buzzer.

I bent up a 3in x 6in piece of scrap aluminium to 'clip' over the little trim piece under the speed control and Velcro'd the gauge to that.

The sender I just attached under one of the thermostat housing bolts. It reads 8*c low compared to an IR thermometer, but it is a consistent 8*c low reading, so I just mentally adjust for that. I think the airflow from the fan may be affecting the reading.

Gauge1Gauge2Gauge3

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2016 - 03:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff

I like your solution. It's quick to implement and requires no permanent modification to the car (other than poking a hole in the grommet). The 6 degree low reading is also of no real consequence as it's temperature difference from the norm that's important here, not actual temperature.

Thanks for reporting back. Not only is it interesting to read it is also useful for future readers.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2016 - 07:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
I thought in this age of technology and hi tech wireless solutions to almost everything, I searched long and hard for a Bluetooth coolant sensor that would simply report to your smartphone screen.
Sadly I can't find anything.
The thought was to simply fit a sensor somewhere in the cooling system (which many were mentioned in Geoff's link) and connect to your phone. No worry about wiring or gauges to disturb originality.
Maybe a good thing for someone to design? Ross????????

What I did find was a multitude of Bluetooth digital readers that connect to modern a CAN-BUS diagnostic port which then talks to your smartphone.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-ELM327-Wireless-Blue-tooth-OBD2-OBDII-For-Smartphone-/232097003540?hash=item360a0f3814:g:AdgAAOSw-itXqU-g

You can get Bluetooth reverse cameras that simply hook up to the reverse lights in the boot wiring that then show the pic on your smartphone (or tablet) screen. You can even get a rear view mirror that has the screen already in it that will also get the Bluetooth image.

Anyone got any ideas to design an app for Bluetooth engine temp?
Just need to build a Bluetooth sender

My car does not have a gauge, however I randomly use the laser temp gauge I keep in the boot.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: