Rear Window Lift Chain Rail Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Rear Window Lift Chain Rail « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2016 - 02:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Odd question! What holds the top of the rear window lift chain rail (on a 78 Shadow) to the door? I can't find a bracket or any attachment points on the rail itself or on the door!

Thanks!

Richard

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2016 - 03:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard

You should see a two vertical slots adjacent to small holes for self tapping screws. The chain rail is held by a leather strap. The picture below is from the front door of a 74 SY1, but I believe the rear door is the same.

strap

How did you secure the gear wheel to the spindle?

Geoff

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2016 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Geoff. As always, perfect!

I haven't worked on the securing the gear wheel/spindle. Hopefully, I will have an answer this coming week. I will definitely update.

Richard

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, 14 September, 2016 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Today, I had a machine shop drill a hole through the gear wheel and spindale. They then put in a self-tapping screw in which the head of the screw fitted flush with the spindle. They also flared the other end so it absolutely would not
come out.

I used a new strip of leather to attach the chain rail to the frame (as you suggested).

After getting everything back in, the glass moved up/down very smoothly but very slowly. Thinking about your "window brake solenoid" comments in another thread, I removed the solenoid completely. The glass now goes up/down extremely fast with no resistance whatsoever. I am now thinking I should remove the brake solenoids on the other windows! What a dramatic change! The window now is as fast as a new 2016!

Thanks again for your awesome help!

Now, to the next project which seems like a big one: getting the front seats to work!

Richard

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: