Dash board Light Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Dash board Light « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Gardner
Experienced User
Username: bobg

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have an amber/ yellow light illuminated just below the amps gauge.
LRA13020

What is it ??

Thanks Bob

Robert Gardner
Experienced User
Username: bobg

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hand Brake Light, Thanks

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 480
Posted on Sunday, 04 September, 2016 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Correct
You got it.

Martin Taylor
Experienced User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, 04 September, 2016 - 07:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also brake light failure on the early cars if it only illuminates when the pedal is pressed

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, 06 September, 2016 - 07:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good post Martin,
I completely forgot about the brake light globe failure feature of these cars.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, 06 September, 2016 - 09:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert can test by simply pulling the handbrake out and if the yellow/amber light comes on...bingo, that's it...or conversly pushing the handbrake lever in if the light is illuminated, and if light goes out...again, bingo. The mirco switch may be set (as it is on mine) to illuminate the light with just the first 1/4" or so of travel...too sensitive for my liking, but there it is.
Also, the brake warning lights are red, not yellow.
In photo below, the yellow arrow is the handbrake light. The red arrow indicates the brake pressure lights. The red light to the immediate right of the handbrake light is the warning flashers, but that is obvious as it is labeled as such.

MPW Dash left

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, 06 September, 2016 - 09:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Cristian.

Martin is referring to the amber light that illuminates when the brake pedal is depressed that indicates a rear brake light globe failure.
This is also the handbrake warning light when the handbrake is applied as you correctly stated.
Not brake fail lights

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2016 - 05:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrik...Oh, now I get it. Never realized that same dash indicator has two functions. Fine print in the manual!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2016 - 08:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did read that many years ago Christian, however I did forget this at the start of this thread

Luckily Martin is on the ball.

Saying that, I have always wanted to test this function on my car.
I guess, break a globe, whack it in and try it??

BTW Christian,
Can we see more images of your MPW interior, the dash looks stunning.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2016 - 09:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Or just take the bulb out. :-)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2016 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul,

Ill give it a go.

I ran my fuel tank down & emptied my header tank to confirm correct operation of those lights. All was good with them.

The fuel tank was particularly interesting when the tank sloshed so di the light.

Martin Taylor
Experienced User

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2016 - 04:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Modern cars have a delay unit on both the low coolant and low fuel circuits, input has to be on for three seconds before the light is triggered. Did you check your fuel light dims when you turn the side lights on?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 493
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2016 - 09:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Martin.
Can't say I noticed that, the fuel light was quite bright and full on, but it was also going on and off as I was traversing a driveway.

You seem to have seen this before?

Martin Taylor
Frequent User

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2016 - 09:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I see my fuel light all the time, these cars use an unbelievable amount of fuel!, the dimmer circuit for the the low fuel light consists of a resistor and a relay so the light doesn't light up the interior at night, could be a little overkill from the RR electrical department.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 494
Posted on Thursday, 08 September, 2016 - 08:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martin,
Trust Rolls Royce to come up with a light that stays on all the time, but dims it when not required. (I hope I understood this correctly)
The wonders of their electrical systems never cease to amaze me. Do you remember Christians issues with seat electrics OMG

I will need to check the light in the pitch black garage one night!!1

Mike Mangan
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 184.14.216.127
Posted on Saturday, 29 October, 2016 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I need to replace a couple of bulbs, and I have almost no light on the dashboard. The bulbs from the tool kit were duds. Now I'm thinking of a total LED upgrade. I found all the bulbs on the web. Is it worth upgrading or is it kosher ?
Mike.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 05:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

You have 2 options:

1. Replace the standard 2W bulbs with 5W bulbs - some improvement but nothing to get excited about.

2. Replace with LED bulbs 5W equivalent or stronger if available - buy one of each wattage available and test to find the best one for your requirements before ordering a full set of replacements plus a few spares just in case.

Changing to higher wattage LED bulbs is the best solution.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 613
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 05:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents
I have seen some LED upgrades, and the bright white light isn't to my liking.
I seem to remember someone saying painting them or a rubber covering will bring them back to the original green hue works well.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2280
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 08:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

The LED's are now becoming available in 3 tones, warm white, daylight and cool white.

I suspect the ones you saw may have been cool white as this has a distinct blue tinge which, to my eyes, appears to make the light brighter.

Martin Taylor
Frequent User

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do not change the alternator warning light to LED, this bulb needs to pass current in both directions to function correctly, an LED will not do this. The rest of the bulbs you can get in many colours, Best to do all or none as they will be different.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2016 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike

Fitting LED lights in my car has transformed the dash illumination.

I had great success in painting the LED bulbs with enamel paint. This is useful if any of the blue filters in the gauges are missing, or are so opaque they have to be prized out.

As Martin says, do not change the alternator warning bulb. In fact I would not change any of the warning lights as some of the systems depend upon seeing a standard bulb. The coolant level warning system is an example. I have found the illumination of the warning lights is adequate in any case. The problem is with dash panel and gauge illumination.

You will lose the panel light dimming facility if you fit LEDs. LEDs of this flavor are either on or off. Hardly a problem on these cars.

The following thread has some pics of my painted LEDs should you not be able to find colored ones.

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17002/18929.html

Geoff

Michael Mangan
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 50.110.84.84
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2016 - 04:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A lot of sage advice . Thank you. The photographs were a huge help , I'm not mechanical , so pictures really help. I think I forgot to say thank you for the video of the wiper control.

(Message approved by david_gore)

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2016 - 07:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

THE WAY I ALWAYS TESTED THESE BULB FUNCTIONS ON SERVICE WAS:

1. TURN ON IGNITION-DO NOT START ENGINE- MOVE SELECTOR TO REVERSE OR DRIVE.

2. HOLD KEY OVER TO ENGINE CRANK POSITION, IT WILL NOT CRANK AS IN REVERSE OR DRIVE.

3. BULBS WILL ILLUMINATE.

4. TURN ON SIDE LIGHTS, FUEL LOW BULB SHOULD DIM, SHOWING CORRECT OPERATION.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: