Hydramatic 4 Speed auto in Bentley T1 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Hydramatic 4 Speed auto in Bentley T1 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Tomlinson
Experienced User
Username: mark_tomlinson

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 18 November, 2003 - 08:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a keen interest in the result of any repairs you may have had done as my own 66 srh 2524 may as well not have a second gear as it slips from first through second into third so quickly I don't see the point of having it.
Also it seems to almost slip into neutral allowing the motor to rev momentarily before slamming into gear if taking off quickly, I have less than zero experience with any auto box let alone this mechanical nightmare.
Any help much appreciated.

Richard Treacy
Prolific User
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, 19 November, 2003 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like pressure loss: it needs testing urgently.

Many things can cause low pressure, like a worn or shot front pump-to-servo whitemetal bearing (I had that once with the same symptoms as yours), or a ruptured feed pipe. On rebuilding, if too little clearance is left in the bearing it is known to sieze and then rip all the whitemetal out. That happened to me and also to another Hydramatic I know of.

If either are at fault, usually there is so much turbulence that an oil level reading when hot is almost impossible as the dipstick gets sprayed all over with fluid. Unlike on Clouds and Dawns etc, it is unlikely to be a shot servo or shot clutch piston "bucket" seals as the SS 4 speed transmisson starts on the mechanical sprag clutches unless you select "L" (ie 2nd gear held). Does it hold in second when you select "L" ?

RT.

Mark Tomlinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 21 November, 2003 - 04:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I ran the car after selecting 2 and it ran perfectly up to 60 kmh and did not miss a beat, I am begining to think it may have something to do with the throttle adjustment cable?? linkage? as suggested by Mr R Chapman.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, 21 November, 2003 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Everyone
I have a direct RR contact who is willing to assist, finding information or an RR expert who can be consulted.
He needs the chassie number before he will proceed.

Have a great day.
whunter
RROC, Lake Michigan, Motor and Ohio region.
ASE Master Mechanic
Bloomfield Eurotech
45671 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
Work Phone 248-334-6400 Fax 248-334-2363
asemastermechanic@juno.com

Mark Tomlinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, 22 November, 2003 - 06:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Whunter, VIN/Chassis number is SRH2524 1966/67 with engine number SY 1607 6233cc.Thank you for the help.

Jon Rothwell (203.10.1.27)
Posted on Wednesday, 17 April, 2002 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My T1 is fitted with the alloy cased hydramatic 4 speed auto box. The box appears to have been recently rebuilt, and the fluid is clear with no sign of burning or band/clutch deterioration. However, I am missing second gear. Driving the car normally the box misses second on the upshift, but you would be hard pushed to notice as the change is so smooth. Manually downshifting from third to second reveals that second is missing, the engine will rev freely until first third or fourth is selected. When floored from a standing start the box seems to be slipping, but when driving the car normally it drives very well. Reverse seems to be ok under hard load. I have not had any experience with this type of box and have no service information. Before I start pulling things apart can anyone suggest a possible cause for my problem, or a source of information on this gearbox. The closest person who claims they can repair it is 1600 kilometers away, so I would like to sort the problem out myself as I have had some pretty bad experiences when sending parts 1600 kms for rebuilding. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill Coburn
Posted on Friday, 07 March, 2003 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jon/

Sorry just noticed your post - by now you will have the answer I hope. We can help but otherwise can we know the result?

Jon Rothwell
Posted on Thursday, 17 April, 2003 - 09:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I changed all the fluid to the correct type, but with no result. Both second and fourth are missing when the box is cold but return when the car warms up properly. However, despite living in the top end of Australia it is almost impossible to warm the car up. You can idle it half the day, or take it out on the highway, but it really takes it some time to get warm. Next step will be to look at the thermostat, which I suspect is missing or stuck open. According to the technical manuals I have the missing 2nd and fourth are probably related and the problem may be as simple as a leak between the valve body and the box. I have followed all the standard set up's so far, so next will be looking further at internal leaks. As a matter of interest I got full service manuals for Silver Shadow 1 and 2 plus technical manuals for the 4 speed box off ebay for a very reasonable price.
I will be looking further into this when I get more time, and any suggestions or info would be much appreciated.