Side View Mirrors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Side View Mirrors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Gardner
Experienced User
Username: bobg

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2016 - 07:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I want to replace the small driver side mirror with a matching set of aftermarket mirrors .

My vision really requires that I have a right side passenger mirror

Any suggestions ?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 778
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

yes.
Get a proper RR mirror from a RHD car to go on your passenger door. There are lots of them around and they are not too expensive.
I did that to 3 of my cars. You only need to buy it once so buy the right one and it will be well worth the money.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 02:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert

I have to admit I didn't quite understand your question until I checked out some photos of pre 1974 Silver Shadows and was surprised to see that they came equipped with only one small, round mirror on the drivers side. Now I get it.

Omar's suggestion is the best way to go however I am reading into your query that you would like the larger mirrors fitted to the later cars (glass area 6" x 3"). If so, these are quite expensive. However, I believe the 79-87 Jaguar XJ6 used very similar mirrors:

http://shop.everydayxj.com/Outer_Door_Mirror_Right_BD47349_BD48870_p/2h14-outer-mirror-right.htm

I have no idea if these would be good low cost substitutes. I have only read about this so can give no guarantees. A little research will confirm or deny whether they are viable for your purposes.

As an aside, I can highly recommend those small convex mirrors that attach to the drivers mirror, available at auto stores. I've fitted one to the drivers door mirror on my day car, as the B pillar was cutting down my over the shoulder view. The small convex mirror is great. If you can see a car in it, it's in your blind spot. It really helps with overall awareness.

Geoff

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 358
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 06:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert...
While Omar's suggestion is expedient, it has an inherent problem that the mirror is intended for a driver sitting on what is your passenger side (closer to that mirror) and the glass mirror part cannot be sufficiently adjusted, especially with the auto-adjust gizmo that mounts to the interior of the door, to properly aim it at your right side blind spot, which is the purpose of the exercise.
You will need to "tweak" it with some sort of shim placed appropriately between the flexible joint connecting the base and the stalk/mirror head. Once so adjusted, you may find that the field of view afforded is quite suitable for your purpose.

Robert Gardner
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 07:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Everyone

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 479
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 09:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great advice from everyone Robert.

Be sure to post some before and after images.

Martin Taylor
Experienced User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have jag mirrors on mine, they are mounted to cover the holes of the factory (smaller round) mirrors, they ideally would be two inches further forward but are much better than the factory versions, mine came with both (ex York motors demo car) but as mentioned above the left side mirror was meant for a LHD car so pointed at nothing useful. The jag mirrors do fit but the RR mirrors have the same mounting points (I believe) but the pivot for the mirror is further forward than the jag ones.
If you have nothing fitted you can put it anywhere you like.
The glass can be shimmed out with double sided foam tape (they fit the side panels on fire engines with the stuff).

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Martin

Do you know the year and model of your Jag mirrors? Are they from a 79-87 XJ6? I have checked some ebay prices for RR Shadow mirrors and it looks like the going rate is $500 for each, against $25 for the Jag ones.

This information would be a very useful inclusion in Brians resource file and Larry's substitute parts list.

Geoff

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 359
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 02:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martin...
...and a photo of the Jag mirror. Thanks.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 779
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 02:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a small note to say that the Jag mirrors are not the same as the Rolls-Royce mirrors. Study the bases and you will see the difference.
Another note. You only get one shot at fitting the mirror so make sure you put the hole in the right place. What looks correct externally does not give you adequate rear view. A small compromise may be in order.

Martin Taylor
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 07:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agreed Omar, mine are in the existing holes, next time I get any panel work done they will be moved
The jag mirrors also have the screw heads exposed unlike the RR version

Martin Taylor
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 07:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They are from a 1985 xj6, don't get xjs ones are the door angle was much steeper, if you get the mirror you also need the rubber gasket (cheap) . As mentioned better to fill the holes and move them further forward if replacing the factory option, if you put a spirit level on the top of the mirror and mount it inline with the door trim it will be at the right angle for range adjustment for most people.

Martin Taylor
Experienced User

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2016 - 07:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is the factory version and position

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Sunday, 04 September, 2016 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's surprising what drops out of these discussions. I've just realized the mirrors on my 1974 SY1 (SRX18501) are also from the Jaguar XJ6. I have checked through the "our cars" thread and it appears the single circular mirror was used up until 1976. A previous owner must have fitted the XJ6 mirrors, as the 1974 models should have the single round mirror. I've been diddled!!!

It appears that in order to upgrade an earlier model to the RR mirrors the mounting holes for the original drivers round mirror would have to be filled in and a new hole made for the RR mirror. Quite a major mod as the door would have to be re-sprayed.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, 06 September, 2016 - 07:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't feel short changed Geoff,
Your car looks better for the conversion, and it is safer for you as well.
One issue with the small round mirrors is that you cant se down the side of your car.
The blurb in the sales brochure says
"mirrors that don't protrude past the side of your car for tight traffic conditions"

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Tuesday, 06 September, 2016 - 08:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

""mirrors that don't protrude past the side of your car for tight traffic conditions"

Someone obviously envisaged a R-R/B might possibly be used for nefarious purposes such as the under-street getaway by the Mini's in the original movie version of "The Italian Job" - they certainly had no foresight regarding the traffic conditions we endure today.

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, 06 September, 2016 - 09:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://classicpartsltd.com/classic-car-products/classic-car-mirrors/door-mirrors.html

check out this site for ideas. I bought a similar mirror new at a auto jumble few years back, it fits perfectly onto the chrome windows u shaped "runner" in which the windows glides. No drilling, it simply clamps into place and can be removed in seconds if ya wish.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, 06 September, 2016 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

I'm sure they didn't.

After visiting France & to a lesser extent the UK, I can really see the value in fold away mirrors.

In the street we stayed in in France (Rue Eugéne Varlin, 6, 4 - , 75010 Paris, France), I saw 2 mirrors residing on the ground, that were attached to the cars they were laying alongside.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Tuesday, 06 September, 2016 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

My comment was intended as a facetious comment; I wasn't referring to fold-away mirrors which are a most useful option to avoid damage from passers-by and columns in car parks; I was referring to the old-style round mirrors fitted to cars prior to the mid-1970's either on the front doors or front mudguards.

These were often mounted in positions near the front door quarter-lights or on top of the mudguards which meant they did not protrude beyond the bodywork but their small diameter meant the driver's field of view was much smaller than the later rectangular [hence larger] external mirrors. My first car had an after-market round external mirror fitted to the driver's door which was good for spotting overtaking vehicles as the rear window venetian blind [almost universally fitted as an option by owners in this era to keep sun off the rear seat passengers after large rear windows became a styling feature] impeded the view from the internal rear vision mirror.

Note the external mirrors on DRH14434 and the adjacent vehicle. The LHS mirror was fitted by father-in-law after he acquired the car:

The following photo shows front mudguard mirrors fitted to a Corniche:

Aaah memories of time gone by...........

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, 06 September, 2016 - 02:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

AHHHHHH.

Got you now David.

I fitted 2 x HQ Holden mirrors to my Fathers HD Holden Premier.

Yes,
The memories mate, they were good weren't they!

Robert Gardner
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2016 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Purchased a set of original RR Mirrors on ebay
UB 33280
UB 33281
Came with complete (I am assuming here)installation hardware, but no instructions ,of course

Can anyone lead me to a source where I can readily find this information ?

Tried Repair Manual and TEE ONE Topics.

Better yet,Has anyone on here attempted this job using these mirrors?

Even Better yet, Has anybody in South Florida, USA ??

Thanks, Bob G.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2016 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Photos of mirrors will, of course, be desirable. Meanwhile, clarify if they are wing mirrors or those that attach to the door, or door window channels, as in David Gore's photos above. Different procedures obviously. Your initial post implies that you want door mounted mirrors, but then why wouild you need both sides unless:
1) you currently have no mirrors, not even on the driver side, or
2) you are now talking about a pair of wing mounted mirrors.

Robert Gardner
Experienced User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2016 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian, Please see my original post

Mirrors are exactly as Martin Taylor's photo on checkerboard back drop.

Have one small round mirror on driver door
Want to mount a matching set of rectangular door mounted mirrors
Thanks, Bob

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 433
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2016 - 02:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob...Right. I misread. You wanted, and now have, a matching pair to replace the single round. The scariest part is when you first place the drill to the door panel to make the hole opening. Years ago I wanted to put wing mirrors on a $150,000 1929 Springfield Phantom which had a HORRIBLE blind spot on the off side and was accordingly nerve wracking when changing lanes on that side. As I was holding the drill to the fender, neighbor came over and said "I don't believe you are doing that!" Someone will tell you about the need to put masking tape down to keep the bit from slipping, a trick I learned AFTER the Phantom installation...which went OK by the way...

John Beech
Frequent User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2016 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Before drilling, a small dimple in the metal prevents the tip from walking. The best way to place one in thin metal (especially when you want to one-hand it, e.g. not use a punch and hammer), and in my experience, is through the use of an automatic center punch.

Simply align the tip on the mark, press with the heel of your hand until it snaps with a loud mechanical clacking sound and presto, a perfect dimple ensues. I have a Starrett #818 like this one.

Starrett automatic center punch ~USD$30
- Starrett automatic center punch ~USD$30

. . . however, cheapo Chinese versions are available for very little (as cheaply as USD$5-10). FWIW, I have a couple of cheap ones too, and they work OK. Simply Google 'automatic center punch' to find a wide selection. Thus, you don't have to be a tool snob because I'm not convinced it really matters.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2016 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

If you want to secure the mirrors with fine thread bolts, I can highly recommend rivnuts or nutserts.

You drill a 6mm hole, paint it, drop in a rivnut, use a special tool to squish it into place and you have an m6 (10-32) threaded hole in sheet metal. If you put them in correctly they are FAR better than a coarse sheet metal screw into sheet metal.

Good luck.

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, 04 December, 2016 - 09:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross makes an excellent point and this brief video shows how easy it is to install a Rivnut, which has the great advantage of not requiring disassembly of your door for fitting the threaded hard point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_uu_ba6qAM

Moreover, because Rivnuts are available in many sizes (ranging from 6-32, 8-32, 10-24 and 10-32, as well as 1/4-20, 5/16-18, and 3/8-16) I suspect you'll cherish the tool for other jobs in years to come. Anyway, it's my opinion a fine thread like 10-32 would be about right for a side-mirror assembly. And note, these are also available in metric threads. Last thing. You can find Rivnut tools on Amazon for ~USD$40-80, and even a little bit less but I advise you refrain from exercising your urge to be thrifty. Instead, you'll be better off making your tool purchase from a well regarded supplier like Aircraft Spruce because the old saw about value long after you've forgotten the price applies - you've been warned. Anyway, here's a link.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/to/rivnuttools.html

Robert Gardner
Experienced User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2016 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rivnuts definitely seems like the way to go.

How do I remove the original Left Driver Side Mirror ?

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2016 - 01:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

Great video, the L6000 is the nutsert setter I use. It's the RR of nutsert setters. The video does have one little issue, you don't twist the knob in the back to remove the pilot from the insert, you pull the knob and it automatically unscrews!

Robert,

Here is a shot of me installing roof rack brackets for the RR.

Also, there are a ton of different nutserts available, some have a waterproof closed bottom and sealer around the top. I have never used those, but I suspect they would be plenty strong.

I have had nutserts fail, but at stresses involved which would have torn screws completely out of the parent metal.

In your application you might want to remove the paint from under the head of the rivnut. The reason I say this is RR often have a relatively thick layer of compressible leveler, primer and paint. These might compress, then rattle out later and allow some movement.

John's video shows the serious kind of rivnut with a notch that engages a dingus on the back side of some nutserts. There is another kind (the kind I use) that just uses a serration formed into the sides of the rivnut which cut into the sides of the hole to keep the nutsert from turning.

Also, if you live near an airport they WILL have the tool, inserts, a matching drill and techs who know how to use them. I know a guy at my airport who would do it for free as would I if you were in the neighborhood. I'm pretty sure they will want to drill the holes, I know I would.

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2016 - 07:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great point about compressible paint/primer, Ross but note, that's not 'my' video but instead is merely a brief one I came across on YouTube. And I concur, the L6000 is the tool for the job as are the notched rivnuts.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 741
Posted on Tuesday, 06 December, 2016 - 07:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

We use many nutserts when installing various items on truck cabs.

We use CRC "soft seal" on the nutserts and in the hole before we do the nutsert.
This will ensure water tightness & inhibits corrosion.

Never put them in without something the ensure sealing & corrosion is taken care of.

Robert Gardner
Experienced User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2016 - 04:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll ask again, How do I take the existing mirror out ?

Thanks

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2016 - 04:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, can you send a pic of your mirror.

Also, Door mirrors usually have a strengthener plate on the inside of the door.

Robert Gardner
Experienced User

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2016 - 07:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, It's the standard round mirror on any early Shadow,
Do I have to remove a lot of stuff to get to whatever mounting hardware there may be ?

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2016 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, a picture is worth a thousand words. Use your phone, send it to yourself via email as a medium (!130k) and it will be sized correctly for this forum 640x480.

John who is a bit surprised the mirror on Tootsie's driver's side (SRX6816) is actually mounted in the window chrome just above the painted door panel.

Robert Gardner
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 04:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 755
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 09:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents.
My car had its original factory fitted wing mirrors (shown on build sheet) removed and replaced with remote operated wing mirrors in the 80's by the previous owner.
This was done by the Rolls Royce dealer in Sydney.
Also like Geoff I was amused to find out that Jag mirrors were used some years ago when a Shadow specialist was looking at my car.
Yes it was the screws that gave them away.
However the job was done well and the cable remotes work well, however my wife's knee can bump the passenger (left) adjustment

As you can see the mirrors are mounted as far forward as possible.
As I am short, the passenger side mirror is a fraction obscured by the 1/4 window upright. But if I had the seat slightly more rearward, it would be fine.
This does not effect my view from the drivers seat at all.
See passenger side mirror in image 2

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 447
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick...
Constantly amazed by the glossy sheen of your paint. What was that product again? Do you use it after washing and in lieu of wax? I assume it to be an Australian sourced product and want to check EBay for possible sellers.

Robert Gardner
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 02:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Going once, Going twice,

For the third and final time :

How do I remove my original mirror if anyone knows ?

Thanks

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 940
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 02:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Robert,
remove the door cap and the leather pad and make sure the window is at the top position. you will find the securing nuts behind the mirror. undo those and she should come out.
Thanks
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 756
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 02:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian.
Thanks for your kind words.

The car always gets comments on its paint, but of course, don't get to close to see the warts and stone chips. It's a great 10ft car LOL

In fact I have not washed the car for over 2 years

I keep it under a black cover inside my garage, this is just to keep the dust off as I have a dusty property.

Every Friday night, I take the cover off and give the car a quick wipe over with this.

I just use a micro fibre cloth.
It's a very fine spray, and takes about 10 minutes to do the car.

Just don't do it in the sun or hot panels, as it then can be a bit tough to remove.

It is a very quick and simple thing to do, and no elbow grease requited.

My dad used this on his cars since this stuff was invented sometime in the late 50's - 60's?
He also only used water and half a cup of kerosene to wash his car.
It was always shiney. He said the kero helped remove tar and road grime quite easily as well.

I've never used kero to wash, but I use Mr Sheen on everything.
The first thing I used it on was my push bike as a kid.

We also use it on most everything at home as well.

It's a huge money saver.
Some use expensive spray and shine car products that are up to $50 a spray bottle
Have you seen how much stainless steel appliance cleaner is?
We used to pay $12 for a 100ml spray bottle.
And when we did the SS fridge, it looked great but was a bit greasy, as that is how it worked.
If you bumped into the fridge, it left a damn smudge, so then you would have to do it again.
I thought we might get rid of the brand new SS fridge as it was a bitch to maintain.
Now, all good.
Of course the old white enamel fridge was like a mirror.

Now we just use this on everything.
Our stainless steel fridge is now awesome.
This stuff between $4 - $6 a can which is 250 grams.

I also use it on all timberwork in the Shadow & the top roll.

I've never tried it on glass, but it says it's ok for it.

A vintage ad.

Robert Gardner
Experienced User

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 02:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, Thank You so much.

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 09 September, 2017 - 04:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I needed to replace the mirror.

I took off door card and wood, but I do not know where to go.

Thank you very much for advice.

Martin Taylor
Frequent User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, 10 September, 2017 - 09:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As Paul mentioned above there is a steel plate inside the door directly below the mirror, put some gloves on or you will scratch hell out of your hands. Reach up and with a small socket remove the nuts, if you put a light in the door use a mirror or phone camera to view up inside the door (an iPhone laid in the bottom of the door switched to front cam will show you everything). When replacing the mirror I suggest either recycling the factory steel plate inside the door or making a new one, I tapped m6 threads into mine and fitted Jag mirrors with stainless bolts from above. I personally would not use rivnuts into aluminium in this situation as the door could be destroyed if something hits the mirror or some idiot leans on it etc, the steel plate is much stronger and spreads the load over a much larger area..

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 542
Posted on Monday, 11 September, 2017 - 07:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Remember if you get wing mirrors you can fold them sideways and get better areodynamics like the following.

https://youtu.be/3Ov5brH94H4?t=221

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Monday, 11 September, 2017 - 06:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good pick up on the mirrors Ross.
Great video by the way.

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, 12 September, 2017 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you :-)

I will try to look there.

I did not know it was so made that she could not get in normally.

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 07:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I still do not know how to remove the existing mirror.

I have this type.

It has a huge matrix at the end. So I will get the big key in the door, but they can not turn. There is no way to get there either way

If I had the steel plate you're writing about, so I would get a small screwdriver there. But I dont have steel plate. The mirror is right on the door

Do not you have a tip?

Thank you very much.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 08:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What is the "huge Matrix"? Not familiar with that term used in this context.

To me that looks like a wing mirror fitting.

I would expect it to have a thread on the stem and a nut of some type to hold it on.

Is the top spring loaded or similar?

Can you turn the mirror head so the stem or arm rotates? I have a suspicion it may have been fitted by holding the nut inside and just screwing the arm to the nearly correct nearly tight position and cranking the outside tight by hand.

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 09:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I mean huge nuts inside in the door.

It's the way you write, I can rotate the mirror and there's some spring.

So i fix it nuts inside the door, and rotate arm?

Thank you.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I guess that is what I would try. The arm and base must be unscrewed together whilst holding the huge nut.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: