Accumularor Valve Removal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Accumularor Valve Removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Gardner
Experienced User
Username: bobg

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 06:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Recently had some work done on the Shadow breaking system, One of the items performed was rebuilding the Accumulator valve bodies .

My question is this; Do the Accumulator spheres need to be removed to do this procedure ?
As they charged me $572.00 per unit and another $819.00 to install the Accumulators as well
Thanks, Bob
72 Shadow LRA13020

John Grieve
Experienced User
Username: john116

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 06:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow! Did you get new accumulators, or just re-installation of the old ones? If not, someone's about to add a west wing to their house.

Robert Gardner
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 07:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's how I feel, like I got taken
But that did not answer my question

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 08:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob, the accumulators and valves come off as a unit and then separated off the car.

A valve or accumulator would be about £150 each over here in the UK.

As long as none of the pipes were seized etc. 6 hours should be plenty of time to do some diagnostics, then remove and refit.

Robert Gardner
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 08:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul, That helps a lot 6 hrs at 120.00
Labor Charge would be somewhat accurate then.

Everything else on the invoice extremely questionable though:

Hoses $80.00 ea.???
Brake Pads $456.00 ????????
Rotors $310.00 ea ?
Brake Pad Pin Clips $36.00 ea ??

Have I been totally raped here or just roughly massaged ?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 08:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I suggest you have been "milked" by someone too lazy to find part equivalents from a good independent parts supplier.

Have a look at Brian Vogel's parts equivalent file where you will find a host of alternative parts suppliers.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B61gLtsXt4oqZmQ2NmY5MDgtYWUxYy00ZGFlLWFhYTUtZTY2NDc0OGNlNzE1/view?pref=2&pli=1

Also Larry Halpert's substitute parts list:

http://mutley.hypermart.net/RollsSubstituteParts.html

Larry Kavanagh
New User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 08:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have a look at Flying Spares website for prices of the various parts, do a currency conversion and add postage cost.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Tuesday, 30 August, 2016 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

Depending on whether the hoses were the high pressure ones or not the price could be reasonable in the case of the former. But, knowing what I know of Crewe Original prices for that part I doubt that's what you're talking about.

If these parts are from virtually any Crewe Original supplier in the United States the prices, while shocking, don't surprise me one bit. I've got price quotes with $10 for individual bleed screws, $70 for seal kits containing a couple of O-rings, etc.

There is a very good reason, besides lack of knowledgeable technicians, that these cars suffer the degree of deferred maintenance that they do: obscene prices for dirt common parts.

I got into the research mission of finding out what as many of these dirt common parts actually are, and documenting same, originally on principle, but much later as my life circumstances changed need entered the picture. I could no sooner maintain one of these cars, and would not even if I could, at Crewe Original prices for things like O-rings than I could fly to the moon by flapping my arms.

I know that there are RR/Bentley professionals here who insist on Crewe Original parts, and that is entirely their prerogative. However, I am quite sure that many clients would not mind, as I never have, being presented with the choice between OEM or aftermarket for various parts and taking the option that they prefer. There is nothing about these cars that makes an aftermarket part that's a direct functional replacement inappropriate or incorrect other than the judging field, where many of us will never find ourselves. Often times even that is not a limitation, as I've never seen judges disassemble an ACV or brake pump to check the seals or pop the lid off of the reservoir and remove the baffles to check the filters, etc. Contrary to the assertions made by a subset of purists, years of running a car without any issue using aftermarket parts I and others have identified, by a lot more people than just myself, is more than enough proof of concept.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: