Mascot replacements Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Mascot replacements « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Frequent User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First thing I did when I got the RR was make a silicone mould of the mascot.

You can cast lead directly into the silicone so I made a lead mascot which was on the car. Turns out linotype metal works better as it is more fluid in casting and a lot harder and whiter.

The linotype is a little brittle and I snapped off the mascot while doing something in the yard. I made a casting out of fiberglass resin. It is amber in color and sort of translucent. I think I'll leave it on for a while.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It could be fun to do a clear resin version then sandblast (or whatever blast) it to create a satin surface like the new crystal mascots.

Any of these translucent mascots really pop when lit from the base after the sun goes down.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 744
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 03:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Last time i went to Prague there were lots of people willing to make one out of crystal for me for reasonable money. Silly me I left home without my Rolls Mascot in my case - They didnt have a sample to use for a mould.
Next time I go I will take it with me and get them to make one with a hole inside the shaft for an LED to illuminate it.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 03:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

If the price is really reasonable have them make one with, and one without hole in shaft but make sure the base of the shaft on the one sans hole is polished.

Crystal does a pretty amazing job of transmitting light from endpoint to endpoint and it really shows up much better with a satin surface at night.

Think about how many pieces of art glass of the "massive paperweight" variety simply glow when lit from beneath with nothing more intense than your average nightlight bulb.

Brian, who'd love to have a crystal flying lady in life size for display off car

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 745
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 04:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If i get one made Brian, I will also make one for you as a Thank You for all the help you have given me over the years.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 04:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would make a mascot that is different for the lady. Glass is good. Chess pieces? Check out bric a brac shops. There is a way as explained by Paul Yorke of making a bayonet fitting for the mascot.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 04:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe it could have space for some kind of night lighting as Wolseley cars used to behind their name badge on grille.. Very fetching in dark, but not sure if there would be too much distraction, maybe a rheostat?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 05:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

What a terribly kind offer! Just a note that by life size I don't mean, "the size of the model for said mascot in life"! I also hasten to add that this gesture, while deeply appreciated, is definitely above and beyond. I help where I can when I can because I can and hope that others do the same with regard to life in general. Truly, what goes around comes around.

It is interesting to see how the level of detail on the mascots varied over the years, and not always in any relation to their sizes.

It seems that the level of detail during the SY era varied widely as far as the details of the face, feet, fabric folds and wings go.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 05:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One could very easily set up "under Lady lighting" in the space available in the grille beneath her, whether one wished to create a hard wired arrangement or install some sort of battery powered LED setup.

A lightened version of the car color to tint the light for a crystal lady could be very interesting, too. You could not do "full color" for shades such as the 1975 Corniche FHC ordered by the Shah of Iran for his sister, I believe:

1975 Corniche - Shah of Iran

Interior

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 05:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought that as well. It would work well with glass and could be part of a day time running lights system which goes off at night.

Trouble is the fuzz have got very officious over car lighting due to young esters fitting blue lights to their cars. One used to be able to drive around with a tail light out, now one gets a tug almost straightaway. The standard thinking is that a bulb can blow at anytime and the fuzz just tell you to get it fixed.

But of course this is not a problem for us RR owners because we have spares in the tool kit which on my car is all present and correct.

I suspect that if the mascot lighting is bright enough in daylight to be seen then the fuzz will give you a tug.

Police cars have ECILOP on the front.
I used to put the word POLICE on the doors so that when a door was opened it left the word LICE on one door.

Back to mascots.
Lost wax process.
This is on the web and can be a DIY process.

Basically

Carve the desired shape from candle wax.
Make it 10% bigger.
To allow the molten metal to shrink.
Dip the wax carving in clay slip many times until a thick crust is built up.
Place in sand for support.
Melt metal
Pour metal into mould
The hot metal burns the wax out of the way.
Thus leaving a replica of the carving in metal but slightly smaller.

Maybe use glass instead of metal.

I have a smashing paper weight made from coloured glass that looks fish like.
It's known as a glass dump in the trade. After production of the glass they dump what's left in the kiln and make ornaments from the dump which they sell at market stalls as beer money.

My late father in law was a glass worker and he made some nice stuff. I was surprised at how much he got for his dumps. He crafted a swan which sold for £50 (1972 prices).

ross kowalski
Frequent User

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

That method is called fused silica shell casting and it is how the real mascot is made.

You make a rubber mould, pull a wax where there is a percent of shrinkage. Then you make a fused silica shell and when you cast metal into that you get some shrinkage as well.

I used a high temp RTV to be able to cast metal directly into the rubber for less shrinkage.

For crystal you would make a mould from the original in a low Durometer low temp RTV (the low Durometer RTV would allow easy wax model removal and high detail) pull a wax from that, then make a mould around the wax in investment (high temp plaster like mould material) which would then be steamed to remove the wax, then crystal lumped up at the top of the mould and heated allowing the crystal to slump into the mould which is why this is called slump casting. The whole mould would then be cooled slowly to anneal the crystal.

The benefit of investment casting is that the heated mould expands by some percent which can exactly offset the material shrinkage allowing real sized casts. This is quite common when making gold dental crowns.

I would think the easiest method would be to make an rtv of the original spirit of ecstasy which would be exactly the desired size, pour in castable acrylic, then sandblast.

It would be safer in a crash and so cheap if you knocked it off you wouldn't feel to bad about things.

I have a mould sitting on my coffee table, Hmmm. If I can find some castable acrylic. Hmmm.

ross kowalski
Frequent User

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, 11 August, 2016 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I demoulded the SOE mascot this morning. I let it sit 24 hours because I know the high temp RTV my mould is made out of is very stiff. It is not really meant for casting plastic into.

Also, taking it out in an hour would probaby be easier because the plastic would be soft and more easily worked from the mould.

Here's the mould and mould shell.

Here's the casting. I didn't vacuum the plastic before casting. I know it is hard to believe, but casting clear SOE's is pretty low on the things to do list.

The finished SOE with an LED flashlight shining through it. It looks pretty good with the LED though the picture doesn't really carry.

Off to build a beach in the backyard.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 754
Posted on Friday, 12 August, 2016 - 05:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Ross,
I am gobsmcked.
You made it look so easy.
And the end result is exactly what i am looking to mimic.
You have got me fired up now. That next visit to Prague will certainly result in a crystal SOE being commissioned (well 2 really, one for Brian too).
Thanks for sharing these images.
Omar

ross kowalski
Frequent User

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, 12 August, 2016 - 06:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think I have some clear polyester around somewhere that might still be viable. I'll try that tonight if I get a chance. I believe what I used for the last one was some sort of epoxy because it was a 5/5 mix.

If I do one of those, I'll post a pic of that too.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Friday, 12 August, 2016 - 06:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am impressed with your work Ross.

excellent.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 143
Posted on Saturday, 01 October, 2016 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's a couple more castings with some programmable LED action going on here.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 522
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Totally stunning Ross.
Make it 3 now please
The video is fantastic, really great work.
You,'re a talented man mate, well done.

You do know that you will be inundated with orders now don't you.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 01:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Thanks.

The cast mascots hobby comes and goes, but while I was working with some LED"s if thought I might as well write a little code to make them flash.

That LED strip is being driven off an arduino microcontroller which is not really weather resistant. It does run off of 14v without being damaged so it should run in a car.

Also since blue only comes up 1/7 the time your are only 1/7 likely to bet pulled over for running blue lights.

I'll try making up a kit for SRH8824 and if it works maybe I can send one your way. Fair warning, it might be a while.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 525
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 07:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross
You are a very talented man, you have so much going on with not only your Shadow, but all the other things you have described to me in your garage.
Where do you find the time?

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Any apparent productivity I have comes from my wife who is a saint, my job which allows me some time to play, sympathetic friends with tools, and of course low quality standards.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 526
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2016 - 01:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can't see any low quality from here Ross.
To me, care = quality

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2016 - 04:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

I don't see "low quality" here, either. Remember, "The perfect is the enemy of the good," and, contrary to the mystique that's built up around these cars, they were not perfect when they left Crewe. Perhaps superior to many, but not perfect, and a check of warranty records, where available, very often bears that out.

Brian

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 608
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 06:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I want a Johnny English from Reborn mascot complete with the laser beam eyes for dispatching vandals, cows and kangaroos for the Camargue.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 09:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I want a SOE that flaps her wings whenever a virgin crosses the road in front of me!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 01:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

Don't stop at flapping her wings, why not a seductive invitation to the passing vision of splendor to get better acquainted.

In my youth, the males of Newcastle NSW had a special technique for getting better acquainted with attractive young ladies. The technique is described by Bob Hudson's "Newcastle Song" - make sure you listen to the full song.......

https://youtu.be/YXhs6vNLdvo

The Saturday afternoon drive down Hunter Street [the main shopping street in the city] in the 1960's was a ritual; the girls would turn up dressed to kill and walk along the footpath, the males would be packed into a mate's car with the lucky one's leaning out of the windows to better strike up a conversation with the girls and occasionally successfully entice the girls into the car which then departed to places where they could get better acquainted.

What did get interesting was when one of the males in the car saw their girlfriend who was supposed to be at home walking down the street with one or two friends openly chatting with each carload of males as they passed by!

As far as I was aware, this practice was unique to Newcastle because the length of Hunter Street [3.4km/2.1 miles] allowed large numbers of cars time and space to pull over to make contact with the girls.

Great memory from a time gone by and which is no longer part of the Newcastle way of life.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 541
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 09:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We were just in Newcastle a few weeks ago David at the All British day put on by the Jag club.
We drove the length of hunter street searching for somewhere to eat until we found "The Grain Store" great place.
A couple of pics from Newcastle.

Grand Master

Post Number: 610
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2016 - 05:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian are those really photos of a 1975 Corniche the Shah of Iran ordered for his sister? Is that really cloth interior?

Perhaps this car was ordered by the Purple People Eater. Its totally horrid and an example of how taste can destroy the look of an otherwise very attractive car.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2016 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

I have no reason to believe that's not the case. This car was up for auction on eBay a couple of years ago. One of the things included in the photographs in that listing (which you can see here) are the order sheets which specify the paint color and interior as Draylon (in the royal color).

As I love purple I loved this car. I think the deep eggplant purple paint is very flattering to the lines of the Corniche FHC. Chacun à son goût.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 849
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 04:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

and that her imperial highness was allergic to leather!!!
that car is absolutely exquisite.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 04:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

I thought I recalled something about HIH being allergic to leather (more likely something used to make leather that persists) but I didn't feel like digging last night to find it.

I, too, think that car is exquisite. Were the Draylon interior to eventually age badly one could always reupholster in leather if one so chose. I can imagine this looking quite nice with dove gray leather (preferably with black [or ideally, deep eggplant purple] piping).

I have often wondered if that car is now part of the RROC-US fold or not.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 851
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 04:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In all honesty Brian - I would keep this car totally totally totally as it left the factory. It is simply perfect in every way and a piece of history. I also like the fact that her Imperial Highness had both the same taste as i do and the same name too....

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 05:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

I'm not proposing changing it, but both fabric and leather eventually succumb to the travails of aging. I wonder if one could get the actual fabric used to craft the interior these days. I also wonder if the dye lot used to make it might have been a one-off. I love it, so I'd definitely do my damnedest to keep this one original for precisely the reasons you state. It's not a "regular" Corniche.

The Shah of Iran was not known for his lack of willingness to spend money, that's for sure! I wouldn't be surprised if the Draylon was made to order as far as the color goes.

Brian

Grand Master

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 06:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar and Brian - I just can't get my head around the horridness of the purple and the cloth interior.

I will drop 30 cans of VB heavy, smoke a huge joynt and have a good sniff of acrylic thinners and crank up the stereo this Saturday and view these hideous photos again to see if a Keith Richards type of alternative perception will allow me to see the Purple People Eater RR as being a car for Royalty more than an LA/Hollywood pimp mobile.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

@David Gore, Thank's for the light entertainment David, I hadn't heard that song before.

David Gore

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 01:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Larry,

The Hunter Street crawl was part of my teenage years - I couldn't participate as I was a financially deficient student who could not afford a car and it wasn't the done thing to pedal a pushbike down Hunter Street and asking the girls if you could "dink" [Australian word for sitting on the crossbar/handle bars of a pushbike] them when they could ride in comfort and dubious safety in a car!

The Youtube clip is a shortened version of the full song to allow it to be sold as a 45rpm single. The full version goes for nearly 10 minutes with more detail which completes the story and makes the song more meaningful......

https://youtu.be/0yXinPYK-Jk

There also was a response record by the "target" girl which was also a hit especially the last words:

https://youtu.be/L28oHjNm7M0

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 852
Posted on Friday, 07 October, 2016 - 01:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vladimir,
To be honest I find this car absolutely stunning regardless of its imperial heritage. However in combination, I would give up my Continental R and my Continental in exchange for this beauty - oh and i would throw in the Turbo RL too for fine measure just to make the deal happen.
Sadly it is not to be. The car is in a different continent to me and its value will probably be astronomical.
How can you not like this car? Look at it man!! simply stunning

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 551
Posted on Friday, 07 October, 2016 - 06:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm coming around to your way of thinking on this Omar.
I do like the outside colour.

David Gore

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Friday, 07 October, 2016 - 07:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As with all R-R cars over the years, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The defining factor is most if not all original purchasers are sufficiently wealthy and independent enough to be unconcerned by what other people might think or say about their vehicles.

Those of us who subsequently acquire these vehicles will either keep them original or change them as appropriate to our own preferences.

Chacun à son goût...............

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 552
Posted on Friday, 07 October, 2016 - 08:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes they do have their own taste David.

I have to admit, that 2 door Shadow paintwork looks awesome!

Alan Ford
Frequent User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, 10 November, 2016 - 01:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Ross, have you made any progress on the Flying B mascot?

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, 11 November, 2016 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan, I have been seriously busy recently. I made a new mold for the SOE out of the perfect moulding rubber and didn't even get to test casting it. Normally curiosity makes one pour in resin the second the original is demolded!

I'll make one up this week. What diameter do you want for a base and what height do you want?

This next week looks promising for getting some RR stuff done.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, 11 November, 2016 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, I hope you don't think I was being pushy, I am keen but I understand when people are busy. Thanks for responding. :-)
As for diameter and height I have no answer, I didn't realize they are made differently apart from the early ones. I am thinking the Flying B from the Mulsanne would suit but I don't know anything about them? Pretty sure the base would be the one with 2 bolts (my car is still with the technician)as for height I am thinking taller not smaller. Gee mate this is a terrible answer for you but being so new to Bentley I have a heck of a lot to learn. I was hoping to be able to wire an LED into the base so it might need a small hole underneath? generally speaking I will go with whatever you recommend.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, 11 November, 2016 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Deferring to my knowledge of Bentley trim specs cannot possibly be a good idea. I have never touched a real one so I have no idea on size, beyond how they appear to compare to a SOE relative to grill size. If someone who has one could photograph it against a scale I could probably extrapolate the dimensions.

The LED gag really is pretty cool in person. It looks almost like a special effect. If you really wanted to do it right you could illuminate it with an IR LED at crazy high brightness. It would be visually invisible, but a lot of cameras pick it up, so in photo's it would look like the sun exploding up there.

And people will photograph it.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, 11 November, 2016 - 01:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, top idea right there with IR LED, I like it :-) I understand the limited knowledge of
Flying B's and yes it would be best if someone here could supply some dimension for you to work from. I am yet to join any club and attend some runs so I haven't even seen the bonnet mascots up close. Best we wait until someone can give you the right dimensions rather than going in cold.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 901
Posted on Saturday, 12 November, 2016 - 02:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

None of my Bentleys have a mascot on the grill (apart from the MK VI). Sorry I am unable to help.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, 12 November, 2016 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

58mm?

google books

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, 12 November, 2016 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, I would have thought the height would have been somewhat similar to the SOE. 58mm sounds low but I could be wrong, I am trying to picture it in my mind.
When you are able to make a couple will they have the same mounting bolt/s as the originals would have?

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, 13 November, 2016 - 03:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Here's how little I know about flying B's.

I just figured out last night that they have two mounting holes and bolt down on cars of this vintage. I see there is a base that matches the hood trim as well.

I think I would just make up a model, and drill holes into the base rather than cast in studs. If a stud failed it would destroy the mascot, i the bolt hole failed one could do a bunch of things to re-secure it.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, 13 November, 2016 - 07:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, yes I wondered about mounting it, I thought if bolts are cast into it they would make a weak point. I love the idea but making it work seems a tad complicated.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, 23 December, 2016 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bently mascot photo request.

If anyone could possibly supply close up photos of the front and side of a bently mascot including a size reference like a ruler I would be very greatful.

I have been looking off and on for a decent set of photos with a known size reference.

I also need the length and width of the bottom mounting plate as well.

I am making up a model to mould and have never actually scene one of these things.

Thanks in advance.

Carl Heydon
Prolific User
Username: car

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 07:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross
I have emailed pics of a T Series one for you but it is the single post mounting.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Wednesday, 28 December, 2016 - 01:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

is it possible to cast in with the resin a metal foot with tapped 1/4 unf holes to accept the mounting studs nuts and washers.

Put wings on the flying B

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, 28 December, 2016 - 04:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm coming in late to the conversation but I may be able to help with the Bentley emblem because a friend has a 1946 Special which has the B with wings. Please advise if you still need photos.

Regarding the purple people eater, I'm with Omar on that car, I love the deep purple exterior, which I initially thought was blue. As for the interior, I like that rather less so (but because of the history would probably live with it). I don't recall who suggested dove if it were reupholstered in leather, but I concur (though black would look nice, too).

Anyway, I kind of liked how the SOE looked in amber (in your initial photo with the sun back-lighting) but the idea of an IR LED is great fun. From SuperPesante to this . . . Ross, I rather like how you think, pal.

Regarding purple, a good friend is restoring a 1973 Challenger and opted for Plum Crazy. While there's nothing subtle about the car (especially the color), I think it turned out rather fetching. I trust the fact it's not RR content won't spoil the thread because we're all motorheads at heart (and my pal Jim carries the gene to the nth degree - and with a passion for perfection you wouldn't believe until you saw his work up close).

For example, this car was a perfectly good driver when he purchased it off eBay a year, or so, ago from a fellow in Michigan. So I was dismayed when he began to disassemble it . . . he even went so far as to cut out and replace the firewall before beginning to block the body panels! And then just this week he found an imperfection in the hood and trunk lids (months later) so I lent a hand with removing the hood because he wanted to do a respray. I was gobsmacked but he proceeded and when I stopped by this morning to see the results, they are in a word - perfect - and I don't throw that word around lightly, so I mean absolutely perfect (if it were me I would have been fine with how the were before he resprayed them). Oh, and by the way, he's not a professional body man by trade, he's a passionate amateur.

Eyeballing the surface for imperfections
- Eyeballing the surface for imperfections

Spraying the inside of the fenders
- Spraying the inside of the fenders

Nothing subtle about this purple when the sun hits it
- Nothing subtle about this color because when the sun hits it pops!

Jim Byrnes and his purple 1973 Challenger ready for reassembly
- Jim Byrnes and his Plumb Crazy 1973 Challenger ready for reassembly

. . . the engine will go in this week, or next. The interior will follow soon thereafter, and I suspect by end of January the car is registered and on the road looking better than when Dodge sold it brand new. And with a wicked 340ci V-8 engine, it will run as sweet as it looks.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 680
Posted on Wednesday, 28 December, 2016 - 05:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John Beech, Not only does his work show his craftsmanship in his work, also he has the hands of a crafter, Nice one.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 821
Posted on Wednesday, 28 December, 2016 - 09:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
Just LOVE the colour.

Can't wait to see the end result.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 04:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, this plum color really fits that sharp car.
However, what I think does not fit this potent car are the tiny front drum brakes! My father owned a Dodge Dart GTS coupe with the same 340cid engine, and I can assure you, that is a mighty potent engine for such a light car (under 3000 lbs). I owned at that time a V12 Ferrari 330 GT and was unable to follow my father with it accelerating uphill. The Dodge had front disc brakes under the 14" wheels, urgently needed for such a fast car. My father frequently did 200+kmh on our then still unlimited Autobahns.
Excuse getting off subject....
Jonas

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 03:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

Thanks for the pics looks like a real sweet ride.

Patrick,
I'm with you on the color. I'm sure Dodge didn't offer that from the factory, but I also sure they should have.

Also,

I was carrying a tarp near the RR and had a little mascot trouble.

Oh well I've got more. I think I'll put in a metal one for now.

Alan,

I have a B mold model nearly done. No time frame, but it sounds likr you are going to have a car soon so I better finish this thing up quick!

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 04:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, thanks very much. One day soon it's all going to come together and then I will be out and about :-)
Sorry to see the mishap with your SoE, that's a good lesson learned (for me not for you) lol
Am very keen to see my Flying B :-) It will finish the car off nicely.
Question Ross, did your one have an LED in the base somewhere to light it up? I think it would look stunning at night. :-)

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

That one did not have an LED, it was a mold test in polyester that I just liked the look on.

Dont know how I'm going to hide the LED on the B Maybe optic fiber?

Before Christmas I was playing with a control computer for the LED that has mobile phone access. So you have a web page where people can change your B color from anywhere in the world.

The irony of a RR SOE connected to "the Cloud" it a little much to not do this it least once.

Do you know the distance between the B mounting holes and the bolt diameter?

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, sorry I am not much use to you on the bolt holes and sizes etc. I don't have the car at home or else I could measure it up.

Not sure when but the next time I find Phil in his workshop I will try and get the measurements then (it's hit and miss trying to catch him). I just watched the youtube clip on fitting a Flying B to a Turbo R and although its shows it clearly not a single measurement is shown.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 03:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update on the Challenger . . .

1. It's actually a 1971 instead of 1973, oops!
2. The brakes are being updated to 11" vented discs because my pal's not stupid about maintaining originality.
3. Yes, Plumb Crazy 'is' the factory original color (Code = FC7)

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 07:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, I have been giving more thought to the SOE and Flying B having lights in them. Being the front of the car we would only be allowed white or amber, anything else would be breaking the law if the car was moving.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 830
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 09:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Holy crap Ross.

Sorry to see the broken lady.

I always panic when my daughter & partner take my motorised lawn keeping items out of my garage between the 2 cars.

However all good intentions and care promised--------------------

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

If it was this video.

It really shows how it goes in but as you said, no dimensions. At least the holes are slotted a little bit.

I woudn't worry about the color. The police would have to be having a really bad day to pull you over in a Bentley with an off color illuminated mascot.

Thinking about it, it could be white, or made to flicker yellow like a candle (or loose lucas wiring), or turn red when honking the horn.

Patrick,

I don't feel too bad about it as I have a pile of SOE's from OEM to kirksite to polyester to clear polyester to castable epoxy (yes it is bendable) so I will put something there. I recently machined a base out of bronze with a 1/4 20 thread which while pretty coarse as threads go, just happens to be the thread size used in trophy decorations so...

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 02:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Ross, Yes mate that is the video, shows it all nicely bar any dimensions :-)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 833
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 04:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross.
At Volvo group, the marketing department would shoot us if we had 2 logos side by side as in the Bentley grille.

Mate,
Now that trophy would look great as a mascot on your car.
You would be like a dictator driving around with that

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 242
Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 - 01:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

That's a factory color?! Great! You have to love Mopar.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 - 04:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Here's the model before going into the mold. Carl sent some really useful photos with a scale in every shot.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 - 06:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, gee that's fantastic. That will look so good on the car when finished :-) Thanks to Carl for sending the details needed. We really do have some very talented people on this forum.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would think this would be all kinds of strange with either of these printed a little larger and lit with an led.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 02:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

Sometimes I think you have to much time on your hands.

But that's ok, we love seeing everything here anyway

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 02:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I don't watch TV which frees up a little time.

I was just thinking, if I painted my real SOE with primer, I could drop it off with a friend with a high res 3d scanner then print the SOE.

Depending on the process I could get SOE's in all manner of material. Or better yet manipulate the file.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 02:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like a plan mate.

I TRY not to watch to much TV, but that never works out for the best.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 04:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Ross,
I like the no TV house!!
Mine is the same. The kids had to climb trees and play in the garden and build lego etc.
They are older now and are very creative. They are also accomplished sports people.
We still don't have TV and therefore get lots done.

The day will come when people realise the damage that TV brings to social beehaviour.

Having said all of that we have 2 large screen monitors that we sometimes use to have family cinema evenings.

Also - my kids (like other kids of their age) play computer games. I call these killing games because the intention behind all these games is death and destruction. I have had to let this one go as this is a social pressure beyond my control. Social and peer pressure is very powerful.

Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 06:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
I commend you on a good balance in this very high tech, web driven world. Good on you.

I turned the internet off when my kids reached 8 years old.
I was sick of them glued to a bloody screen.
They both became state champion swimmers, and my son is a very accomplished bass player, and is currently juggling his job, and 3 bands.
He has another daughter coming in May.

My daughter devoted her time to the Navy Cadets, and is currently an officer training kids in all things Navy.
(I too am an Officer attached to the Australian Army Cadet unit)

My wife can watch a fair bit of junk TV, while I read. But that is only 1 or 2 nights a week.
She is usually doing school work (she works in a school) most nights, sometimes till quite late.

We have a movie & pizza night every Friday, and lately we have been watching some classics that have been re released on Blue ray.
She had never seen Ben Hur before, or the big epic Cleopatra. These are just 2.
The classic movies are just magnificent spectacles and we even need to have intermission.

So even though we do watch a bit of TV, its a very small part and we are never home on weekends, so that is good.

We just need to keep our kids active with us, and teach the grand daughter, and the soon to be born one, that being lazy is bad.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yOfCQjqHBQ

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WOW
Ross, that is awesome.

Are you taking orders yet for a clear SOE.
I already have the blue LED ready to go for mine.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, you have outdone yourself ;) Absolutely stunning work.
Not having pulled the Bentley Turbo R/L cowling off yet is there wiring close to tap into?
We need to talk :-) I will email you.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the B needs to be clear with a frosted finish to light correctly.

We'll see.

Patrick and Omar,

I have an app for my phone for USA today that has a section called "Life". It contains news about TV shows and star gossip.

I always thought life had more grill seared MahiMahi, sweat, and bad ideas.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Thanks. I'll get this done as soon as I can.

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, that is amazing workmanship! I'm blown away.The flying B really "pops" when illuminated. If or when you start to take orders, please let me know. I know Alan's Bentley will be the talk of the town.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 09:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John Beech you are a good lad with body shells and paint.

If ones mascot gets pinched then these resin mascots are good enough replacement.

Is it possible to make a penis and testicles.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 09:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dear.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 09:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hahahhahaa Robert.

Larry Kavanagh
Experienced User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is Robert volunteering his undercarriage for a mould template? Would probably be most uncomfortable as the resin hardens!

David Gore

Post Number: 2461
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

double "Oh Dear" from me......

This discussion could get very interesting in a very short time if we are not careful .

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Oh dear" not a start of DARE I say the Swammelstein RR forum!

Nothing to do with the Silver Shadow Series » Mascot replacements unless we should all lower the tone here.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

yes indeed, this discussion is turning into a load of bollocks.

If one has a Bentley then flying wings should be attached ----- Crewe service bulletin.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, 13 March, 2017 - 09:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are a few reference pictures of a 1986 Turbo R Mascot fitting - grill cowling. The whole process took literally only a few minutes as the cowling was only attached by 3 Allen Bolts and two locating bushes. The bushes took longer to turn down on the lathe than the whole process.

Distance between pins 1" 5/32 or approx 32mm Centre to Centre.

The rubber locating grometts were perished, plastic replacements were made on a lathe.

replacement grommets shown in situ.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 807
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 08:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What's all this?

Making up a cable bundle with bulkhead fitting.

Setting voltage regulator for 8v

Programming input device

David Gore

Post Number: 2907
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 09:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A remote control entry device for a Tardis [with apologies to Dr Who!

Heath Robinson at work????

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, 03 June, 2018 - 03:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

>>>>>>......It could be fun to do a clear resin version then sandblast (or whatever blast) it to create a satin surface like the new crystal mascots.
Any of these translucent mascots really pop when lit from the base after the sun goes down.
Brian....>>>>>

Brian Reminds me of Lalique glass wear and some early 30's mascots....would look great lit from below

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 854
Posted on Saturday, 28 July, 2018 - 03:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In case you need one, a vladimir putin SOE like mascot printed in yellow pla plastic.

Now to paint it silver.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2599
Posted on Saturday, 28 July, 2018 - 07:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'd go for something more suiting than silver myself. Matte black to match his soul would be nice.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Saturday, 28 July, 2018 - 08:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is awesome Ross.

Love your work mate.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 855
Posted on Saturday, 28 July, 2018 - 08:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I might redo it as it is no quite the right proportions as the SOE.

I think I'll put him on a plinth.

Brian,

Good call.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 856
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2018 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

I finally final soldered together the bentley mascot light-o-matic.

https://youtu.be/GcrdJOeJfbk

That video was just a test with random colors for the first three of the ten total positions. I chose 10 because with that size dial, you would have enough room to write what each position is next to the arrow.

Basically you click it on, then rotate the dial to change the led lighting effect.

Currently the effects are....

0 - off
1 - pure white as dim as I can make them
2 - pure white about 20% brightness
3 - pure white about 50% brightness
4 - blue 50% brightness
5 - blue 50% brightness
6 - blue 50% brightness
7 - blue 50% brightness
8 - white strobe light
9 - blue 50% brightness
10 - rainbow fade through color wheel

Let me know what you want.

Some ideas
- flashing amber for emergencies
- LUCAS mode yellow, dim and flickering
- a couple car complementing colors
- flag colors
- rave mode with random colors with strobes

Also, the mascot with the moulded in LED strip is in the mould right now. If nothing comes up, tomorrow, I should be able to demould and test it.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 857
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2018 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I also gave up on the phone dial interface. It worked and was funny, but would be a severe PITA to find a home for in a Bentley, unless you were a colossal hack.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: