SS1 Fuel Pump Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » SS1 Fuel Pump « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Aravanis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.5.28.160
Posted on Friday, 14 January, 2005 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bought my SS1 last May. I have driven around 3000 kilometers both in the scorching Greek heat in the summer as well as the winter now.
Somebody in the past has replaced the "double" fuel pump configuration with a "single" unit.
Car runs perfectly. Should I go through the expense of replacing it with a "double" unit?
I have not detected any fuel starvation related problems. When I turn on the ignition, I hear the pump work fast for a few seconds then once under pressure it tapers off.
On a second note, the front brake system light will go on when the car is left standing overnight. Once the engine is started it will extinguish within 2-3 seconds. If I press the brake pedal immediately it will go on again and will extinguish in 2-3 seconds again. If I let the car idle for awhile, everything is fine. But with engine off I only have 3-4 "pedals" before it goes on again.
Does this sound like low accumulator pressure?
Pumps are new. I have heard that the accumulator valves rarely go "bad". Can I recharge the sphere(s)-if needed- as they are on the car?
Regards,
John

Robert Wort
Prolific User
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, 14 January, 2005 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John, Not sure about the fuel pump but I think that two are better than one just for backup. With the brake light warning and from what you are saying, this appears to be normal as the accumulator needs to be pumped up by the engine from cold. It is normal for it to lose pressure when the engine is off and when you pump the pedal without the engine running it will lose its reserve. With these systems, it is advisable to let your engine prime the hydraulics for about twenty to thirty seconds from cold before driving away as it also affects the suspension. If you are unsure, take the car to a dealer or someone who knows their stuff to get it checked out. Better safe than sorry as these systems are hideously expensive to fix if it fails. Happy motoring John.

John Dare
Prolific User
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, 14 January, 2005 - 05:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with you Robert, re your observation that "two are better than one", however if John A. is mindful of the expense (as many of us are at some time or another)of reversion to "original" dual type, then his "single" pump will probably suffice if its delivery capacity is within the correct range and is of "solid state" design. I would be suprised if his pump did not meet both of these characteristics given his comment that the car is operating normally etc.

Robert Wort
Prolific User
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, 14 January, 2005 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You are correct John. However, in the course of time it would be preferable to instal the original (as the wallet permits). I have always thought though, that it would be a good idea to have some sort of warning light (Oh Yes ! Another one) to alert the driver should one fuel pump fail. Even regular maintainance cannot always pick it up and I found on my old Cloud from a past life that the secondary pump failed shortly afer the first one. It was a good lesson for me to regularly check them for operation.

John Dare
Prolific User
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, 15 January, 2005 - 03:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Robert. You have reminded me of the dash mounted isolator switch ("Lucas"?) which Ive seen fitted to Mk6/R type thereby enabling a convenient separate test of each "end" of the original type pump. This switch was marked A & B etc., and was, as I recall, reviewed in "Praeclarum" a few years ago. Your reference to lead was taken in good stead (at least by me) for imagine if we all took ourselves seriously.

John Aravanis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.5.29.67
Posted on Saturday, 15 January, 2005 - 05:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Point made...I will promptly order a double electronic unit and put the single unit in the BIG box of spares that I keep in my trunk.
The only thing that I don't remember is if the double unit has a common power point for both sides, and if I will need a T adaptor to get the fuel from both sides to the single fuel line.
If I remember correctly, there is a second set of wires next to my single pump which is taped off. Problem is that the car lift in my shop will b a r e l y lift the Shadow and when it does, the thing shakes like a Tokyo building during a 6 on the Richter scale (with us under it of course).
Thank you people for all the help, this forum has been most valuable for me during the first 9 months with my Shadow. This is Greece, and the very few people that own these cars- albeit their 15,000 euro value- are considered....you know what.
But the joy of owning, driving and maintaining this magificent vehicle is something i could not imagine.
Maybe one day we can arrange a get together in Greece. The Enthusiasts Club from the UK(to which I am a member) had a meeting last summer and I found out about it from their monthly publication.....in October.
Happy New Year

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 227
Posted on Saturday, 15 January, 2005 - 06:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John. Could get a picture on the pump put up tomorrow if that would help?

Regarding the warning light coming on when the brake pedal is applied, it sounds to me as if the nitrogen pressure has lost its charge in the sphere or a holed diaphram.
After the motor has been run up you should be able to have a reserve of 30 pumps before the lights come on with the ingnition on but with the engine stopped.