SWII Alternator Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » SWII Alternator « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ralph C Brooks
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.31.89.199
Posted on Thursday, 13 January, 2005 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bit the bullet and bought a Delco alternator and installation kit from Albers. Now my mechanic tells me he has to drain the AC fluid and remove the hoses to remove the old Lucas CAV alternator. This could cost as much as the replacement! Is this true or is there way to remove the CAV without screwing up the AC? Cheers, Ralph, LRL40634

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, 16 January, 2005 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ralph just spotted your posting.
Replaceing the altenator does not need the aircon fluid to be removed at the very worst you may need to move the compressor slightly.
Also the altenators can have some amount of work carried out in place ie replacement brush pack,diodes.
Rotor and bearings will require removal for replacement bench repairs.
Before you start if you are doing the job yourself remember to disconect the battery.

John Dare
Prolific User
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, 16 January, 2005 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Ralph. I have been somewhat hesitant to respond to your enquiry as I sensed there MIGHT be a difference in the orientation of your underbonnet/hood hoses since I assume your car to be left hand drive. A cursory glance should confirm if there is an apparent need to disturb any A/C hoses which appear to frustrate, if not obstruct, alternator removal and replacement. In any event, if you have not changed your refrigerant for some time it may well now be opportune to do so. Good Luck.

whunter
Grand Master
Username: whunter

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, 16 January, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have done this replacement on LHD Silver Wraith II before.
Total time 0.75 hour.
There is no reason to touch the A/C system.
I would take it to someone else, for a second opinion.

John Dare
Prolific User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, 16 January, 2005 - 02:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you W.Hunter for clarifying the position having regard to under hood LHD configuration etc. Even though the air cond. system has been modified on my (RHD) car, with one re-routed hose coming close to and across the rear of the original C.A.V alternator, I too believe that I could remove/replace it without disturbing any hoses etc.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, 16 January, 2005 - 07:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The parrot forgot to mention disconect the battery first.

John Dare
Prolific User

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, 16 January, 2005 - 07:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

But didnt forget (as did some ) to mention that irrespective of Air Con. hose routing/obstruction etc., that the refrigerant may need to be evacuated anyway, since replacement could be overdue. I think it is supposed to be renewed every 2 years or so; if I am correct of course.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, 16 January, 2005 - 08:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rubbish.

whunter
Grand Master
Username: whunter

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, 17 January, 2005 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Patrick, for the rude, insulting and derogatory response.
You have added nothing.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, 17 January, 2005 - 04:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

whunter unless i have missed something we are talking about the possible altenator replacement without regasing the system.
Not renewing the aircon pipes gas etc.
Prehaps you want a running comentry of things that could be done at the same time ie first the belts then the water pump then the hoses and clips then the radiator then the thermostat oh my goodness the list is endless.
No i believe to have constant clever parret ramblings on possible changes Of items not within the original posting not only throws the topic off corse but also can muddle the hopefully helpful brain.
If it is not the case then i will call it a day thankyou.
And read my previous postings DISCONECT BATTERY FIRST.
I HAVE ADDED NOTHING SO BE IT.

John Dare
Prolific User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, 17 January, 2005 - 08:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If I may. As indicated by me previously, I did not respond to the original enquiry as I SENSED that perhaps (ie POSSIBLY!) alternator removal and replacement (especially with a NON-original unit!) MIGHT be obtructed by air con. hoses due to; 1/ possible differences between LHD/RHD under hood routing and 2/ The possibility, however remote,that the hoses MAY have been RE-routed (in an obstructive way) due to previous modification of the system. W.Hunter kindly clarified the first point, however, due to any remaining doubt, went on to wisely suggest that a second opinion be sought in relation to the specific POTENTIAL problem with the PARTICULAR vehicle in question. The point which I was attempting to make was that in ANY event, hose disconnection/system intrusion might be necessary anyway, IF replacement of the refrigerant was overdue, since that does tend to be overlooked, rather like coolant and hydraulic fluids. At no time did I advocate replacement of air cond. hoses, alhough I have seen a few of those which appeared overdue for renewal or upgrade. I take the point regarding battery disconnection, despite the fact that most people endowed with a modicum of automotive knowledge might regard such a procedure to be as elementary as say, "Open hood (or trunk for battery) before proceeding". If I am correct of course.

Mark Peacock
Prolific User
Username: takemehomejames

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, 17 January, 2005 - 05:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, there is no service life of A/C gas.it doen't need to be serviced as coolant, Hydraulic oil etc..

Have you had your fridge gas replaced lately ??

John Dare
Prolific User

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, 17 January, 2005 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did not mean to imply that refrigerants "wear out" as such, any more than one would perhaps submit that engine oils do likewise. I have only followed the lead of many wedding/hire car operators (where optimum operation is a necessity) "re-gassing" about every 2-3 years, thereby never experiencing air cond. failure nor deterioration of performance in any air cond. vehicle owned by me. I have never considered the domestic refrigerator since it is one of those consumer items which I only expect to last a few years, certainly not as long as my R-R or B hopefully will.

Robert Wort
Prolific User
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2005 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, I have been in the Wedding Hire business since the late 1970's and sadly, most ( about 80%) of operators tend to take a 'band-aid' approach to the maintainance of their vehicles. You would be horrified if you have seen some of the butchery that I have witnessed. There are a few operators that do correctly maintain their vehicles but they unfortunately, are few and far between. As to re-gassing the aircon, I would say that 99.99% of Wedding Hire operators only regas the A/c when it has run out and usually only after repeated complaints from their customers or drivers. The operator that I drive for is very concientious but he certainly wouldn't consider regassing his aircon unless it was necessary. Profit margins in this industry (espescially after it was deregulated somewhat) are very small and too much preventative maintainance (such as this) would soon send them to the wall. If an operator has told you this, I would respectfully suggest that you tell him to pull your other leg as it has bells on it.

John Dare
Prolific User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2005 - 07:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Robert. I suppose I must admit to a tendency to err on the side of caution, avoiding with suspicion anything that is claimed to "last" indefinitely or have a long (longer) "life", engine oils, coolants and hyd.fluids being typical examples. I know of other private owners of marque cars who have "refreshed" their air cond. from time to time, but then again I know of some owners who inflate their tires with nitrogen. In essence, it doesnt mean I have to do, or not do, that which others might do (or not do). For many years now, some Shadow owners have authoritively (?) reacted "guns a'blazin" style in response to my simple and hopefully harmless practice of opening the bonnet/hood of my car (after use) to allow faster heat dissipation rather than promote a "heat sink" effect, ably assisted by the substantial amounts of under hood insulation. That might explain why my underbonnet wiring/hosing (most of) has not developed that brittle, "hardened" feeling despite being 35 years of age. However, as I am not inclined to waste money I will refrain from further "re-gassing",sensing that your advice may be useful from a practical, if not realistic perspective as opposed to some other forms of advice. In that regard I refer to the hitherto "unknown" practice of disconnecting my battery prior to beginning work on my cars and further, that I needed (as duly photographed) a socket handle (eg ratchet)replete with extension, to fit a 3/8" or 1/2" drive, hex. key socket for loosening/re-tightening my R-R&B sump plugs. Since my thumb/forefinger tips are now no longer as sore and abraded as they used to be, gear changing in the manual "R" type has become so much more pleasurable!. I therefore remain grateful for all assistance provided to date, anticipating the arrival of further critiques and corrective responses which I feel confident will continue to be offered in the regular and customary manner.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John & Pat,

I have deleted each of your last posts for reasons which you would be well aware of - I thought you both had settled down to respecting each others opinions and accepting you have different perspectives.

I have noted an increasing incidence of "veiled" comments in some posts aimed at circumventing my editing finger -
rest assured it is primed and ready for action - I would appreciate you returning to straight expressions of opinion without including comments intended to provoke a response from other contributors.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2005 - 05:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David you are correct you have my full support.
I will not get sucked in on the many comments aimed at me.