SOS Mayday Au Secours Hilfe. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » SOS Mayday Au Secours Hilfe. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 940
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So we had a break in the clouds/rain long enough to put out some washing and even lift the front RH carpet & underlay in The Old Girl.
I wasn't expecting good news as the last time I had her on the road the floor felt spongy and the brake pedal wouldn't come back up unless physically pulled up

It wasn't long before I posited that the rat trap had abandoned ship as I could see tarmac where there should have been 2 layers of steel - one of them the floor!

I don't anticipate many problems in replacing the floor panel. I might even spring to buying a full one from Flying Spares - although I have tens of kilos of nice, clean metal lurking behind my new workshop. However even FS don't appear to stock a new RT cover and I'm loath to buy one, sight unseen, from a breaker as I doubt it would be in much better condition than the one that went walkabout.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the RT cover? I have more than enough tools to make another one. Especially as I doubt the clearances are not too tight and new screw holes can soon be drilled and self tappers used to fix it in position.

Ta very glad, old chumlets.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 08:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Flinstone look is never good on a RR or B. :-(

I would say get a floor pan just for ease and the cars resale value. It will look much better than anything home made.

If you just need a bit of one . . it may be possible to get a used section.

Secondhand rat trap cover . . . I probably have one. Although I bet yours is around somewhere. They are pretty distinctive.

Everybody needs to keep an eye on their floor pans :-(

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 545
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 07:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jan my RT cover is off at the moment and I will post them later.

Richard.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 941
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 09:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul: 'Around somewhere'. Since I didn't take it off it must have fallen off at some unspecified time. Of course it shouldn't have, but ... and even more so since I replaced all the self tappers with slightly fatter versions the last time I had it off.
Originality holds little interest to me. a) Who's going to see it through layers of carpet, underlay and soundproofing materials? b) I don't intend to sell it at any time and would keep it just to sit in and listen to the engine running - with my hearing aid turned up to 11.

Richard: Thanks.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 546
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan as you know the RT cover is made of alloy probably best to make a replacement of similar but not essential if originality doesn't matter the measurements are 680mm long x 245mm to the bend 115mm at high front and 65mm at rear add 20mmfor flange and the front up stand piece is 165mm add 20mm top and bottom for flange x 240mm wide. or simply buy one from Paul Yorke or your nearest Rolls Royce salvage yard, hope this helps.

Richard.

PS didn't know how to do the fractions in Imperial.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 942
Posted on Monday, 04 July, 2016 - 04:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My "nearest Rolls Royce salvage yard". Yeah. Right.
The last time I checked on a used Rolls part it was the trunking running from the wing mounted air filter to the 'choke' horn. £100 + postage for each half, excluding the metal bits. I bought a silicone alternative (that looks much neater) for about £30 from Demon Tweaks.

Anyway: Thanks for the detailed dimensions. I have plenty of clean 'scrap' I can use to make one. I might even have enough stainless!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: