SRH16373 Silver Shadow- Rear brake di... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » SRH16373 Silver Shadow- Rear brake disk scrap thickness? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Adlam
Experienced User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, 02 July, 2016 - 06:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Evening Gents

My rear disks seem to be showing some pulsation when braking- can feel it through the pedal when pulling up, especially at highway speeds. The fronts were machined about 8 months ago.

Anyone know the minimum thickness of the disks?. I know they're 0.500" new, but can't find anything more.

Nick Adlam
Experienced User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, 02 July, 2016 - 06:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ohh, that should be "Disc"!- this is what happens when you've been in the IT industry for over 15 years!.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Saturday, 02 July, 2016 - 06:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nick, not at my desk atm so can't give the measurement now.

In general it's tricky to know what thicknes the disc will end up until you've nearly finished. The manual is pretty conservative though.

On vehicle disc skimming is very successful and saves a lot of time and labour.

For others, and at the risk of being boring, if the car sits around or you are doing less than 5000 miles a year it is a must to remove your rear brake pads at least every 24 months and ensure they are completely free to slide in and out with just your fingers. Visual checking or just squeezing the pin side of the pads is not enough.

Seized or semi seized pads are the main cause of ruined rear discs.

Nick Adlam
Experienced User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, 02 July, 2016 - 07:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul

Thanks for that. Will definitely use on-car machining. I'm just hoping there's enough "meat" on the discs to save the big replacement expense.

Do the calipers and park brakes have to come off for on-car machining?, or are there ways to leave everything in situ?.

cheers

Alan Dibley
Experienced User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, 02 July, 2016 - 08:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Do the calipers and park brakes have to come off for on-car machining?, or are there ways to leave everything in situ?."

It depends on the machine. I have used one which did not need anything removed but the road wheel.

I can't find any reference to minimum thickness in the manual. I must be looking in the wrong place(?).

Alan D.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 01:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It has been years since I found the following somewhere in the technical documentation:

Disc Brake Rotors New Rotor Thickness: 1.25 inches. Minimum thickness after skimming: 1.18 inches.

As Paul has already noted, this is a very, very conservative "minimum thickness" figure, even when taking the weight of the car into account.

Brian

Alan Dibley
Experienced User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 05:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quote:- Disc Brake Rotors New Rotor Thickness: 1.25 inches. Minimum thickness after skimming: 1.18 inches.

That is for ventilated disks on the front of later mchines.

Shadow rears are all 0.5 inches, (I think).

Alan D.

Nick Adlam
Experienced User

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 05:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian

I was actually needing the minimum for the rear discs- they are solid and thinner than the fronts on my SS-1. The factory original thickness was 0.500". I think someone on the other RR forum mentioned 0.480" as a sensible minimum. What that sound about right?.

Nick Adlam
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, 04 July, 2016 - 05:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gents

Just checked it all today- 0.400" minimum thickness stamped on the disk. According to my trusty micrometre, I have 0.080" of meat left on the bone. Phew!.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, 04 July, 2016 - 05:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice work Nick.
Are you sure you didn't measure the outer most lip of the disc?

Just kidding, I did just that as an apprentice.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: