Adding intermittent wiper feature. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Adding intermittent wiper feature. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Dibley
New User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 02 July, 2016 - 03:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was annoyed at the lack of an intermittent wiper circuit on my '71 T (was it fitted to later cars?). If you are handy with a bit of electrics you can DIY.

Instructions:-
1. Buy a two-channel remote control unit operated by a key fob with two buttons, A and B (of course) available from E-bay or elsewhere for a few pounds or dollars. This is ready made and provides a wireless control from the cabin to the engine bay. Set the operation to "toggle" - read the little booklet.

2. Buy a delay circuit kit from similar sources - I used a Velleman kit called "INTERVAL TIMER" on the packet. www.vellemanprojects.eu

3. There are two spade connectors on the washer motor. Use a meter to distinguish between a +12volt supply and the other connector (which is grounded to start the wash-wipe sequence).

4. Connect a wire to the 12volt spade to feed the remote control-board.

5. Use channel A of the remote control to switch 12volts to the supply connection of the delay board.

6. Use the relay on the delay to switch the other wire on the washer-motor thus:-
a) connect the N/O contact of the relay to earth (I used a convenient screw nearby to provide this connection and the 0volt connections on the boards),
b) connect the N/C contact to the other washer-motor connector (not the 12v one), and
c) connect the common contact to the spade which you have removed from the motor.

7. Remove the wiper arms to avoid wiping a dry screen while you adjust the delay pulse to a short (half-second) pulse and several seconds interval.
Thus when the delay circuit energises it acts as if the wash-wipe switch has been pressed but does not run the washer motor. The wipers do a few wipes then auto-park - job done. After the delay time it repeats.

If you are adventurous use the second (B) channel to alter the delay by inserting an extra resistor in series with the delay pot to give you two delays.

I know someone will want more detailed instructions, but if you are not confident you can do it with this gen it might be better to get help from a friend who knows which end of a soldering iron burns holes in the bench.

Alan D.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 409
Posted on Saturday, 02 July, 2016 - 05:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brilliant!!

Alan Dibley
New User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, 02 July, 2016 - 07:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, Bob, for the enthusiastic post.
I should have added that I made a smart(ish) box from plastic card and made the short loom look neat. The box lives in a recess near the spring-top, not secured. All the connections are made with spade terminals, so if needed to return to original it can be unplugged and removed.
The key fob is squared up on a disk sander (to make it look less like a key fob) and stuck to the top of the dashboard between the switch box and the speedo.
The battery in the key fob is only active when one of the buttons is pressed, so it has an indeterminately long life.
This method was prototyped on my 2CV to add headlight flash and a single wipe as the two functions. The only 2CV with radio-control(?).

Alan D.

Martin Taylor
Experienced User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, 02 July, 2016 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The factory Circuit parks on screen, I got the bits and added them to mine, new motor, timer and switch, I did cut into the timing box and hook up an adjustable resistor so I could chose short or long timing.
The cheap remote units are great, I have one hooked up to give cruise controls via the steering wheel

ross kowalski
Experienced User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan, you have a 2CV and a RR? You need to post a picture of those in your driveway.

Also, If you haven't played with arduino micro controllers, they might be a good way to make an adjustable delay circuit. They run on the 14v car voltage just fine and are completely programmable in terms of input and output and can easily run 10a relay coils directly. (5v output)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: