Up Coming Concours, and I need help Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Up Coming Concours, and I need help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, 28 June, 2016 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
Please see the images below.
These items were disconnected prior to 1999 when the last owners mechanic first started looking after the car.
He said as they are early pollution items, and they in no way cause an issue to the car, he had just let them be.
Last year my car achieved an encouragement award of which I was very proud of, considering the car is still in almost the same condition it left the factory in 71.
However these items trouble me, and as of today no one I have asked can assist with them here in Australia as to what they do or how I can get a fitting and pipe to suit the manifold fitting.
I need these to be correct for the next concours so I can be happy I have rectified all things I and the judges knew were not 100%
Here are the images of things missing or plugged up.

Note the rubber hose & bolt bottom right in the above image

This little can securely bolted to the passenger side inner guard has roughly 3/8inch slip on hose fittings.

And the biggest pain of all this unconnected but blocked fitting.

Im not interested if the car does not achieve another award, I just want to be able to open the bonnet and be proud to show other mechanics without fear of them spotting these

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 535
Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2016 - 03:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick the first picture should show a length of hose going to the small filter canister that is in picture two, this hose takes filtered air to the fuel weakener the third one isn't the same as what I have on my 74 UK car mine has a flat looking plate that has a couple of wires going to it hope this helps.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2016 - 07:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HI Richard,
Thanks for your reply.
I forgot to add this last piece of the puzzle.

Here is a larger image showing a looped hose near the empty fitting at the rear.
Some images I have seen on the net done show any connection between the empty pipe fitting on the manifold and this looped fitting that Ross also mentioned on his car that he removed.
Anthony sent me the following in an email which was great of him to do, thanks Anthony for your input as well.
In the first picture, the hose with the blocking bolt is the hot idle compensation hose, which should be connected to the hot idle compensation block located between the carburettor and the engine oil dipstick. The device meters filtered air after the carburettors to weaken the mixture when the engine is very hot, which affects the hot idling of the car. See workshop manual chapter k page k28 and most importantly chapter U page U24.

Second picture is the weakener device cut off valve, see chapter U page u28.

Third picture shows the weakener filter, see page k42, k44 k45

Gents,
As Anthony mentioned a workshop manual, is there a link to it or the pages he is referring to?

A mud map or plumbers guide would be great for the routing of these hoses.
I don't mind if they remain blocked or inoperative, I just need it to all look right.
I guess I could just remove the looped pipe block, and the small canister and find a pipe fitting for the back of the manifold?
Thanks again gents for your input.
PS:
I also made the mistake of grabbing the green pipe after a long run.
Well you probably know that result

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2016 - 09:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Have you had a look in Chapter U of TSD2476 which details the emission control systems inflicted on the various Shadow versions from around 1974 onwards depending on the destination of the vehicle? You should find your fittings installed on engines destined for markets other than Australia.

If my memory is reliable, York Motors imported 1973 specification models until 1975 to get around the problem of emission-control modifications and testing for Australian Design Rules which were different to other countries. The UK high compression engine fitted to DRH14434 in late 1972 did not have any emission control devices fitted and the performance of the engine met the classic RRMC standard of "adequate". I do not remember any of the fittings in your photos being present on this engine.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2016 - 09:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply.
My car SRH12255 was a late 71 build and delivered in London Feb 72.
The build sheet notes it is a high compression engine.
Not sure if this helps.

David Gore

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2016 - 09:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick,

I thought your engine was pre-emission vintage but could not be certain. It certainly would have been the same specification as DRH14434 except for the exhaust system which was smaller in diameter than that fitted to the Corniche and this accounts for the better performance of the Corniche compared to the standard Shadow.

I do not have any of my Corniche detail photos as these were pre-digital prints which I had not scanned into digital format and the relevant prints did not stay with me after I ceased looking after this vehicle so I cannot be certain exactly what was fitted to the engine.

A high-resolution bookmarked version of TSD2476 is available for free downloading from the Technical Library:

http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/tsd2476hires.htm

The memory remains but the detail is forgotten with the passage of time............

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2016 - 09:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mate,
Im in the same boat
I will scour the net

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Thursday, 30 June, 2016 - 05:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Refinishing the black cover over the choke bit would also help and maybe draw the eye away from the missing fitting plus a brass dome blanking plug could confuse an expert enough to tip the balance.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, 30 June, 2016 - 06:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, the looped hose is the hot idle compensator. It was introduced to stabilize idle under hot conditions. It looks like it had been made at home. I think the factory apprentices did these! One hose to go into intake trunking. I seem to remember a tee pipe coming off this. The other fed into the side of manifold tee piece where both carbs are bolted to. You should find it has been blanked off, otherwise you will be running very weak! The fuel system part of Shadow manual has very good illustration of this compensator. It was fitted to long stroke cars only. The machined body of this compensator should have "in" stamped on one of the pipe attachments, meaning air in from trunking. It's job was to feed extra air downstream of the butterflies to avoid stall under hot conditions, much the same as a idle control valve on modern fuel injected engines. The other valve with one pipe missing is part of emission system that was designed to put a partial vacuum on top of the float chambers to reduce the effect of air pressure pushing fuel through the jet tube as opposed to being drawn off by air going into engine. This is in fact similar to a thermostat in operation but in this case when hot it only allows vacuum air through. The missing pipe should be connected to float chamber top(s) and the other should and appears to be connected to small plate held onto carb by 2 x screws near to carb volume screws. Again you might find the pipe has been blanked off internally as if not when temperature was right and waxstat opened air would be sucked into that carb.I will try and find car similar chassis to yours and post some pics. My Corniche fixedhead is '73 CRH15049 and that is different again. A good general tip is to always peruse the parts catalogue as a lot of the time pictures tell a thousand words. Even when these cars were current(and I have been working on Shadows since they came out) the workshop manuals were never as explicit as they needed to be, so please take heart. It was not easy then, it certainly is not now. Every car we received new had something different from the previous one, so the manuals were at best miles behind, and never really caught up. I had done 2 weeks intensive Shadow training course at Hythe Rd and I used to struggle! Sorry to dribble on, hope it has helped a bit.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, 01 July, 2016 - 07:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
Thanks so much for your input here.
Due to the long hours I work, I never have time to look during the week, but tomorrow (Saturday) I will be taking a good look as to what can be done here even if it is just for aesthetics.
As mentioned these seem to have been disconnected over 16 years ago, and to be honest the car runs and idles like a dream, even when hot.
However 98 octane fuel must be run for this silent idle to be achieved. The car does smell a little rich, but nothing really to be alarmed about in my experience with carby cars.
I have been chasing for this fitting & pipe from all wreckers I can find but nothing. I have thought of a nice blanking plug as Robert suggests, but nothing I have placed there looks right, and I am sure the judges would notice.
I will keep chasing this pipe & fitting and will report back with my finding and what I end up doing with the other blanked off bits.
Thanks for all your help and input gents.

Alan Dibley
New User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, 02 July, 2016 - 01:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a '71 Bentley T which seems to match yours quite closely SBH10630. There is no pollution-control stuff.
The connection in the 3rd and 4th pictures has a metal tube to a T-piece added to the top of the left-hand float chamber petrol banjo. I think yours is missing. The other side of the T goes via a rubber tube to a black cylindrical canister on the inside of the left-hand wink. I think this is a carbon fume-filter(???). Another connection goes to a similar-but-different arrangement on the other carb.
The front end of the looped pipe goes to the "rubber pipe and bolt" in your first picture. The rear end goes to a fitting on a solid (non-concertina) slightly curved rubber tube between the metal intake plenum and the big concertina hose. This is not on your car.
Hope that helps.

Alan D.

ross kowalski
Experienced User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon, hear hear on the idle compensator looking like if was made by the apprentices.

I thought it was something that was added by some hack mechanic to replace a real RR part or some addon for the federal market. It really doesn't match the bespoken goodness of things like the cast air filter housing or the forged steel front A arms.

What does it actually do?

It seems to run fine without it but not knowing I threw it into a bucket just in case.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 06:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, it bleeds more air into intake down stream of the butterflies in order to avoid the engine stalling under hot idle conditions. This would be on hot day in slow traffic. I was not jesting when I said they looked "home made" Some one in Crewe told me it was practice for apprentices to help make up mod kits and sometimes special tools, especially when these were needed urgently. Unless you experience the conditions it was put on for, you would never notice, just set idle slightly on "high side", does same thing!

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 284
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 08:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
It seems I may have sourced a pipe for the empty fitting, and I will be re connecting all hoses today.
This afternoon I will be washing and detailing the engine bay, and the under bonnet area around the insulating pads, so that will be an interesting thing.
I do really need to either source better pads, or find some way to clean and then re colour them.
Indeed there does seem to be the hard plastic snorkel end missing that attaches firstly to the manifold that has the required fitting, before the trunking, however other cars of the same vintage does not have it, and some do.
Lucky me, my car must have been right on the cusp of having no pollution control and having it. Yay

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 08:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I suspect that inside will be a screw to calibrate the amount of vacuum bled.

My fuel weakener has on the left carb such a device coming from the air bleed filter fitted to left inner wing. It's square instead of round. Black . Inside is grub screw. This is for calibrating the amount of vacuum for pulling up the floats in the bowls. It can't wear so mine is as Crewe set it. Apart from cleaning this bit has had zero maintainance.

Slightly off topic next bit.
My car 1974 Srh 17768. Has LPG. My carbs has a small intentional vacuum leak between the carbs. On idle the carbs are working as one carb. A little bit of throttle and the vacuum leak isn't enough to keep vacuum leak and the car picks up crisply. The centre of the kidney gasket is missing, so simple. Full throttle from rest and narry a hint of a cough or a sneeze.

Narry -----old English for nothing.
Coughs and sneezes spread nasty unwanted movement of bits.
Once 5 miles and warm the engine is a real smoothie. I ladle it on by driving smoothly. Passengers are always miffed. I am driving in medium traffic and the can't feel the car accelerating or turning and are the wheels touching the road and the engine is running. The muted click every minute is the clock.
Then give the car some head and it gathers speed and engine goes to muted growl. Then 2 gear and in to precise steering mode using the throttle to help the car turn in to corners. Most passengers are surprised at how nimble the car can be.

I took a 85 year old guy out, first time in a Royce and he got in 5 ft 6 tall and stepped out 5ft 10" He dressed up for the occasion. He loved it. I think it was his bucket list.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 286
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 09:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a great story Robert.
I love taking people for rides in the car.
Even club members who have been unwell enough to drive to events.
I do love showing off the full originality of my car, and I tend to be a lead foot as well, and for some they are shocked at how the big girl can pick up her skirt and bolt.

That's why these disconnected items troubled me when I opened the bonnet.
But this will be all remedied today.
Saying that.
My car idles superbly either stone cold or red hot.
So I hope these items don't effect this.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 287
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 05:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents
All connected.
And above all everything runs well.
Just had to knock the idle down a bit.

Under bonnet area is now fully detailed and looks awesome.
I even saved my under bonnet pads, which now looks 90% as good as new.
Very happy camper, and a good result this weekend.

We had a wonderful breakfast yesterday with other RROC people as we are trying to find a new permanent breakfast location for our regular monthly RROC NSW breakfast.
Hopefully we can lock in a place soon.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 06:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All detailed.
Just waiting on the pipe and almost ready for Concours.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 544
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 07:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good on you MATE.

Richard.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 710
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 07:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
All you need now is the postal fairies to come good and before you know it - even the hydraulic oil reservoir will have its plate installed too.
Let me know when the plate arrives - I posted it last week.
Thanks
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 07:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard,
Very much appreciated.

Omar, you are a gentleman. Thanks for sending this to me,
It will look great when in place.
I will post an image when it's done.
I will also let you know when it arrives mate.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 547
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi on looking at Patricks transformed engine bay I had a thought that maybe if there was a way to produce Hydraulic reservoir covers out of a more resilient material maybe some kind of alloy or stainless ( Just thinking out loud must have been the mushroom soup )

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, 03 July, 2016 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard.
I'm sure Kelly could forge one out of pure stainless for us.
It would look awesome for ever!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 302
Posted on Saturday, 09 July, 2016 - 09:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents
Some more work today on prepping the car for the up coming concours.
Fully detailed and flat blacked all boot area including the sound insulation.
Removed spare pressure washed and repainted rim an carrier also tyre blacked the spare.
I even hand polished the wheel nuts.

Before

After

Nick Adlam
Experienced User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 08:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good work Pat, she's coming along really nicely.

I've decided to enter mine for the "Show and Shine" instead of Concours, seeing as this is my first year of RR ownership and I'm still very much a "new fish". Will be just as busy soon.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 08:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your kind words Nick.
I'm looking forward to seeing images of the "Great Babe" being readied for her first show & shine.
She is a pretty girl already I can't wait to see what you do.

I say Concours because this will for sure be our clubs annual Concours, but for the second year in a row I will be entering my car in the Touring Class of our clubs Concours.
It's for well used and regularly driven cars.
I don't think my car would do any good in the full on Concours, as some of the entrants are twice as old or more, and are like factory original, absolutely stunning.
I wish we had an age and authenticity category, for the Shadows, but they are not old enough yet.
I think Robert would do well in this category.
Either way, win lose or draw, I'm happy as I have a terrific Shadow that I love driving.

ross kowalski
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, 13 July, 2016 - 01:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow, the backs of your hub caps are cleaner than the fronts of mine.

Please shoot some video of the event for youtube.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, 13 July, 2016 - 08:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Ross.
Each hub cap took all of 4 minutes with a brass flat round brush on my drill.
I'm not that smart mate.
I have no idea how to put anything onto YouTube

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, 13 July, 2016 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick - did you do the engine bay?
Regards,
Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2016 - 07:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

Yes I ended up doing it after speaking to a Chev friend of mine in Victoria.
I used a combination of kerosene paraffin & water.
I used a 10 litre weed spray hand pump type pressure bottle to hose it on, and I purchased an adjustable pressure wand for my pressure washer.
I bagged the dizzy and regulator.
I hosed the combination on left it for 30 minutes then washed it with low pressure water.
Its not 100% perfect, but looks amazing compared to what it was.
Considering it hadn't been washed before that the previous owner or Gareth Will knew of, I am really over the moon.
A couple of quotes I got Brian were between $400 & $1000. So I decided to give it a go.
The wheels & hub caps were just done by hand without water.
I did have to hand file a few of the brass nuts to remove some socket marks before polishing.
BTW.
Why did Rolls Royce use brass wheel (lug) nuts on their cars?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2016 - 08:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
I even low pressure washed the under bonnet pads and wow!
They came up like new. I was going to replace them, but they look amazing now.
The engine now has a real nice sheen to it from the kero & paraffin.
The original finish to the radiator, and header tank look new again, bonnet springs, air cleaner housing are now shiny as, and the inlet manifold now has its original grey paint finish looking as new.
The missing stove pipe is on its way to me, missing rubber hoses all replaced and re plumbed, and Omar has kindly sent me a new warning plate for the top of the hydraulic reservoir and this will be the under bonnet area all done.

Nick Adlam
Experienced User

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2016 - 06:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pat, wow, very nice unmolested engine bay- not bad for 45 years of heat, weather and driving. I wouldn't be too fussed on painting the reservoir- it also looks original.

You asked about brass wheel nuts?. It's so wealthy aristocratic owners didn't have to raise a sweat to loosen them!- god forbid!. Brass won't seize on the studs.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2016 - 08:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your kind words Nick.
It is looking better everyday with just elbow grease.
I agree about the reservoir, and the warning plate will finish it right off.
The missing stove pipe arrived today, so this will be re connected and then all done.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 723
Posted on Friday, 15 July, 2016 - 04:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
Just to let you know - the post between our two countries is nothing to be proud of. I sent a small packet to another member on this forum in 2013 and it took literally weeks to arrive. Many of them!!
I am getting impatient for that plate to get to you in order to complete the look under the bonnet of your car.
Please let me know when it arrives.

Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, 15 July, 2016 - 07:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Omar,
You will be the first to know mate.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 320
Posted on Saturday, 16 July, 2016 - 09:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stove pipe arrived yesterday.
Looks great

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, 29 July, 2016 - 01:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update.

I forgot to mention I also had a perished heater servo motor rubber/boot.

I now have this for fitting.

Also,
Thanks big time to Omar, I now have a lovely hydraulic reservoir lid warning plate.
Thanks mate, it will look fantastic fitted.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 732
Posted on Friday, 29 July, 2016 - 03:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

i dont know who is happier mate - me or you?
I bet your car will look amazing.
Good luck
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, 29 July, 2016 - 03:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm pretty happy alright.
Thanks for your kind words.

I may not have a chance this weekend to fit the plate, but I will certainly give it a go.

The stove pipe is on, and the rubber boot will be fitted.

Thanks so much Omar for the plate.
The drink for payment will be awesome.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 735
Posted on Friday, 29 July, 2016 - 03:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
You will notice I left the rivet heads on the plate. This is so that you can match them when you go to your local hardware store.

looking forward to that drink in 2017 in London.

All the best
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, 29 July, 2016 - 07:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Omar.
I appreciate that thought mate.

Yes that drink will be awesome.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 736
Posted on Friday, 29 July, 2016 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
The donor of your Hydraulic reservoir plate was a late model Shadow II SRH0040306 that was used in the UK and then sent to Japan for some reason. After a tired life in Japan, the car was bought for spares and chopped up to fit into a container bound for Dubai. I bought the chopped up car and used a lot of parts from it.I then sold whatever I couldn't use for the same price as I paid for it in the first place. I have lots of parts from this car and it has certainly been great value for money.
I also have a spare steering rack from this RHD car that I would gladly swap for a LHD rack if anyone has one of those sitting around.
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 377
Posted on Saturday, 30 July, 2016 - 03:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That front end would look amazing in my back yard as a BBQ Omar.
I could make it look even better than this.

David Gore

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Saturday, 30 July, 2016 - 09:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wonders never cease - cleaning the inevitable bar-b-que splatter every time it is used would be a real PITA.

Have you ever wondered why traditional bar-b-ques are inevitably black with no optional colour choices?

Upmarket stainless steel bar-b-ques have the advantage of being easier to clean as the splatter does not adhere as strongly as it does to ordinary steel. Stainless steel bar-b-que plates are inferior to steel or cast iron as they have lower thermal conductivity and are prone to cold spots if the underside heat sources are not closely spaced. This is why stainless steel saucepans have either an aluminium or copper base to spread the heat otherwise the contents will be prone to burning when in use - the saving grace is the burnt contents come off readily with the right cleaning techniques [soak with warm water with added dish washing detergent overnight, if the deposit is particularly tenacious make a paste of Bi-carb soda and water, cover the deposit and leave it for 24 hours without letting the paste dry out before attempting to remove the build-up; if all else fails, use a stainless steel pot scourer].

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 737
Posted on Saturday, 30 July, 2016 - 07:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

wow Patrick,
that BBQ is amazing. Why didnt you use a RR or Bentley to make it with? my goodness they are so cheap to buy and every one of them i have bought i have not lost a penny when i sold off the remnants.
Having said that - great BBQ mate.

Stunning!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, 31 July, 2016 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,
I've always been a Holden guy, but I have to say no that is not mine, it was off the net, but I have always admired that image when planning a car guys BBQ, so it was what came to mind when I saw your front end.
Sorry if that was confusing.

Now
I would just love to do a Shadow BBQ, but unfortunately those parts here are not to common, and if so, would be hugely expensive.

Would be cheaper from overseas for sure, but shipping would be rediculous.

Saying that
How good would it be, I'd even have the lights working.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 387
Posted on Thursday, 04 August, 2016 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Further update re cleaning and inspecting car for the Concours.
Remove rear seat to clean underneath.
Almost looks completely undisturbed.
The sound proofing is as new, and is still fully adhered to the floor.
Sorry the pics are dark, and it makes the interior look dirty, but it isn't

Looks like a spillage on the passenger (left) side of the seat in years gone by, but all in all not bad.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, 04 August, 2016 - 02:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
My "gold fine lines" as the build sheet states were somewhere in time worn off and replaced with quite a nice job pinstripe decal.
So were the beauty rings attached to the hubcaps adorned with a lovely gold decal.
Well
Richard Treacy loaned my this tool, and I will be re striping my car myself.
Well I will give it a go anyway.
I want it to be accurate for the Concours, so the decals have to go.

Here is my before image.
Lets hope the after looks just as good.

I can even see some missing pin stripes (factory original) being replaced on the 25 Chev as well.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Thursday, 04 August, 2016 - 02:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

Could you put up some pics when you use Richard's re-striper tool. This is a topic that occasionally comes up and I will be interested to see the results and also, how the tool is used.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 389
Posted on Thursday, 04 August, 2016 - 02:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

I thought I had better check this out, considering I had never seen nor heard of this tool.
Very informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-wRs4MtrEY

how hard can it be??????

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Thursday, 04 August, 2016 - 03:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

Interesting video. I liked the way they used the magnetic strip as a guide for the tool, however it occurred to me the doors are aluminium. But of course, on the Rolls there is the chrome strip that runs the length of the car which makes a perfect guide. The beauty rings could be done by rotating them with the striper tool in a fixed position.

Seems to me this is very doable. You should be able to get professional looking lines.

Thanks for the info and good luck.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, 04 August, 2016 - 07:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff

I was also thinking about the chrome strip, however the door handles may pose a problem.

I will check this out over the weekend.

Great minds think alike.
Jacking each corner and spinning the wheel looks like it would be the best option.

What a wonderful tool this is.

Let's hope I have the steady hand to see it through.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Friday, 05 August, 2016 - 02:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

It is so important that you get this job right I would consider removing the door handles. I guess you could use a magnetic strip, but even then the diameter of Richard's tool (if you'll excuse the expression) may be too great to get the coach lines close enough to the chrome strip. There is also the added problem of the non-magnetic aluminium doors.

Interestingly, my car has two coach lines as opposed to one on your car:

paint

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 391
Posted on Friday, 05 August, 2016 - 07:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

I will give this a close inspection tomorrow as I am giving the car a full clean after the All British Day trip to Newcastle last weekend.

I have seen the twin lines as per your car Geoff, it is interesting to see how many different versions there are on different cars.

I do like the twin lines, and also like that they are fairly fine compared to mine.

Does your hub cap beauty rings have twin lines as well?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Friday, 05 August, 2016 - 09:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

Yes, the hub cap beauty rings have two lines as well. All lines are about 1/8" in width.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 393
Posted on Friday, 05 August, 2016 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very nice Geoff.

I like the twin lines.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 394
Posted on Saturday, 06 August, 2016 - 08:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think we are done guys.
The new servo rubber & mounting plate. Which was such a precise rubber to fit by the way. It actually literally clipped around the electronics, then the plate slipped over it.
There is no way you can put the rubber on with the plate in one motion.
Also please note the newly fitted stove pipe

Lastly, thanks so much to Omar, for supplying the last item for my under bonnet project.
Thanks Omar, the warning plate looks fantastic

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 742
Posted on Saturday, 06 August, 2016 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
I am happy to see it go to such a good home.
Hope you get recognition for all the effort you have put into the car.
Good luck from us all on the forum mate.

Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 395
Posted on Saturday, 06 August, 2016 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Omar,
I very much appreciate your words and thoughts mate.

It's already a winner in my eyes now I've done everything to ensure its complete.

Very happy to open the bonnet now, where before I was embarrassed.
So that's a win in my eyes.

Thank you to everyone else here who has provided help and advice with my car, It is so very much appreciated.

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, 06 August, 2016 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Indeed, good luck at the concours. A job well done.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 396
Posted on Sunday, 07 August, 2016 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jeff
Much appreciated mate.

I will keep everyone posted when it happens.

I'm going to check out the striping tool tomorrow

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

Your car is beautifully polished and I was wondering what method you use. About 3 years ago I bought a Cyclo polisher, but have yet to use it. I chose it as it is idiot proof. Apparently, a standard car polisher, with the single polishing disc, can very easily remove car paint right down to the primer if the edge of it catches the paintwork. The Cyclo polisher has a dual head which prevents this from happening. Do you use an electric polisher on your car, or do you do it by hand? Do you have any tips on getting that high gloss finish?

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 398
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 02:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff.
Most people will hate the sound of this, but all I have ever polished this car, and my 25 Chev is Mr Sheen furniture polish.

I use microfibres cloths, spray a light mist over each panel, and just buff by hand until it's dry and shiny.

I like it as it is no effort at all, and I do it probably once every 2 weeks, and it takes less than 10 minutes for the Shadow, a little more for the detailed odd shapes of the Chev.

It is also great for all the bright work on the car and the bumper bars gleam pretty well.

I guess I'm just lazy at heart, and like that it's easy, and does not remove paint either.

My dad used to shine his cars with this since the 60's.
I've never used any car polish as such at all on any of my cars.

It's that smooth any rag will just slide right off the bonnet or boot.

My car isn't perfect mate, and the paint is mostly original, but it shines pretty well, just don't step "too" close

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 02:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

Thanks for the reply. I will bear your method in mind for normal polishing. It's just that my car paintwork is has a slightly "milky" appearance. I'm sure cutting the paint will make a huge difference. I will try a small area by hand to see if it makes a difference.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 401
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 03:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff.

I don't think this will help the milky appearance of your car.

Your car is Peacock Blue?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 416
Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2016 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
I have to thank each and every one of you for your help, assistance and advice since I arrived on this forum.
Here is something I would like to share with you all.
SRH12255 was awarded this yesterday.

Thanks guys.
This award means more to me than a place in the zconcours.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 417
Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2016 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are a couple of images from yesterday

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 595
Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2016 - 06:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Congratulations and celebrations !!! great stuff makes it all worth while.

Richard.

David Gore

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2016 - 06:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Congratulations and won in the category that I consider represents the true ethos of classic car ownership.

Best to drive and enjoy rather than live in fear of damage to a "garage queen" whenever you take the car out .

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2016 - 07:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Congrats, Patrick. Well done!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 419
Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2016 - 07:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, David & Jeff.
Thanks guys, it's been fun as well.
A really great experience.

Thanks again gents.

ross kowalski
Frequent User

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2016 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice and well deserved.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2016 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Ross, much appreciated.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, 17 August, 2016 - 08:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Awesome Pat, I always knew your fine machine would do well.

cheers
Nick

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Wednesday, 17 August, 2016 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice one Patrick. Well deserved.

I too have come round to David's philosophy regards garage queens. Much better to drive and enjoy.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, 18 August, 2016 - 07:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nick & Geoff,
Thanks so much for your kind words.

My son was joking with me and said.
"well they did have to give an award for the biggest original/old looking S**T BOX on the day, that didn't match the level of the other cars on display.

Last time he is driving the Shadow for a while LOL

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 594
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
I'm happy to say the last part has arrived for the up coming Concours.
1 x SY Scuttle filter.
Richard from Spur Parts, Mascot supplied this for me.

David Gore

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Good luck with the Concours judging - just hope you are not penalised for your Shannon's Sydney Classic class win .

Make sure the underside of your car is cleaned the day before - this may be the deciding factor when cars have similar scores after the initial judging.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 595
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

I'm only entering it in the Touring Class for well used but looked after cars.

My original seats wouldn't pass a full on judging.

David Gore

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 02:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I realised you would be in the Touring Class and this is why I made the comment as this element can enable or prevent a vehicle winning the judging due to variations inherent in "original and used" cars.

These variations mean cars in various conditions often end up with the same overall score meaning other factors come into play to determine the winner.

If I was a judge, I expect a car in your category to have upholstery showing evidence of wear consistent with regular use. I admit bias prevails here as I prefer "road warriors" than "garage queens" - "Charms strike the sight but merit wins the soul" [Alexander Pope - The Rape of the Lock 1712]

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 600
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 03:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like your way of thinking David.
I love looking at all grade of cars love trailer queens love wrecks I can poke around in as well.
They all have interest to me.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 02:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents.
I am happy to report that after the judging for the Touring Class at our annual Concours & display day Sunday just passed at Vaucluse House.
SRH12255 took the award.

I am happy to say the judges gave me some excellent feedback and advice for improvement and making SRH12255 better.
I am looking forward to following there advice for next year.

Also,
Again, thank you to everyone here for your help, advice & support.
Omar,
They did notice my lovely new hydraulic reservoir plate that was absent last year, so thank you to you for that.

David Gore

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 05:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Congratulations Pat.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 05:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Awesome Pat, I never doubted you'll take a prize.

Her paintwork gleams in every photo. Sure, I love my Regency Bronze but often pining for a blue, especially Peacock or Seychelles- my fave colours.

Alan Ford
Frequent User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 06:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent result Patrick, it's all in the detail and originality of course :-)

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 06:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's great Patrick, Congratulations !!!

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 625
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 07:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
Thanks for coming up and having a chat on the day mate.
I appreciated you giving me a break from my pre judging cleaning
It was great to finally meet you.

Richard, Alan, & Nick thanks so much for your kind words.
Also your encouragement along the way.

Your Regency Bronze Nick is stunning.
Don't let her go mate.

David Gore

Post Number: 2283
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 08:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Which David are you referring to?

I didn't attend the concours [unless I have a clone] as a consequence of domestic pressure to expedite my current building renovations.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 626
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 08:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry David.
A fellow named David, walked right up,to me and said hi I'm David from the forum.
As we have not physically met (but chatted on the phone) I thought it was you.
It in fact was David Hughes.
I apologise to both of you for the mix up.
But the 3 of us need to get together for a chat at David Hughes is as keen as you and I for information and enjoying conversation about all things Rolls Royce.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat

Just wanted to get my congratulations in before the thread moves on. Nice one.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 883
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 05:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
I am so happy for you mate.
congrats!!
well deserved.......

Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 629
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 08:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Geoff & Omar.
Much appreciated.

I wont post any more re this thread and would like to say a big thank you to all who helped and advised.

Alan,
Start something new with your awesome Torana in the Idle Chatter section.

Have started a new thread for this purpose.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: