Water Pump - Very Early Shadow - Myst... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Water Pump - Very Early Shadow - Mystery Hole « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, 27 June, 2016 - 01:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Re: 1968 MPW Coupe - CRX2541
Amoung the other "oddities" that have piqued my curiosity while I have been fussing with this overheating problem is the water pump. There is a rather large (1/2" diameter) hole in its top. I understand that there is some sort of "weep" hole supposedly on the bottom that when leaking signals impending problems with the internal seals. Being located on the bottom makes sense, but having a hole, especially of a size where you can look down into the "innards", is a bit strange and seems like a sure entry route for all sorts of stuff, dirt, debris, oil, etc.

Is this normal? I know that it is "insane" to suspect that the pump has, at some ignominous point in the past, been installed upside down, but as we all well know, over the years of prior owners "fixing" something, stranger things have happened. So..what is the purpose of this hole?? Just wondering.

Water pump hole

P.S. Cautionary afterthought. I always hate making a fool of myself, and lest that has just happened again...all too frequently, I should humbly add...am I correct in even thinking that this is the water pump? It is just behind the pulley on the output shaft to which the radiator fan is connected. Even if not the pump, the question still remains...what is the purpose of this hole?

ross kowalski
Experienced User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, 13 July, 2016 - 01:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you look at the following document pages 10 and 11.

http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/12.pdf

It appears that the figure L5 diagram has a locating bolt on the opposite side as the weep hole.

So, if you use an inspection mirror or feel with your finger if you can, and find that there is a locating bolt on the bottom of your water pump install, there is a good chance it is upside down.

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2016 - 02:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The locating bolt hole is farther forward on the water pump housing:

Cheers,
Jeff.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2016 - 04:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross...Thank you for that link. Upon review, it appears the hole is that for the "locating bolt" which is currently missing.

Jeff...Thank you for that photo which shows the "locating bolt".

So...that baits the question...just what does that bolt "locate" and what can come apart if it is not located...held in place, in other words...by the presence of that bolt? The manual illustrations confirm that the hole is for the "locating bolt" but none of the text that I could find discuss it, or its purpose. Does it have a critical function?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 722
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2016 - 05:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It holds the bearing in place. To stop it from spinning in the housing.
Thanks
Omar

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2016 - 05:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice photo, like the DTI.

This is what I like to see, proper measuring stuff, tools and workshop manual.

I have no idea what this hole does. Is it threaded. Or a dowel hole.

What happens if oil is put in the hole.

BTW,
On some water pumps the bolt that locates the water pump bearing goes in to the side of the brgs outer sleeve. Sometimes the hole goes through the sleeve sometimes blind.
If it goes through then the brgs can be oiled or greased. 140 gear oil good. I had an Austin 1100 CGA 136B which by chance had a through hole.

Good little car that rusted away. Nice smooth ride hydra elastic suspension. Rubber bellows connected front to rear with alcohol based fluid. Very reliable. 85 mph. 1100 cc. 35 mpg.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Tuesday, 26 December, 2017 - 08:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cripes oil in that hole will be a disaster!
The hole is a sight hole to check the carbon running surface of the seal for wear and run out.
Any oil with dust etc that has built up will gum up the surface also oil will not do the seal sprung housing any good.

Did a pump overhaul [easy job with correct tools] and forgot to check on run out on the counterface before assembly, on completion a check through the sight hole showed run out.
If used the seal would of have failed giving a short working life of the pump.
Another kit was reinstalled and all ok.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Wednesday, 27 December, 2017 - 07:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The weep hole is good for showing water leaks nice and early but also for keeping moisture away from the bearings.

Any weep would fill the void and then rust the bearings causing them to fail / seize / possibly self distruct.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Wednesday, 27 December, 2017 - 09:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Weep hole bottom, sight check hole from memory is 90 degrees o/s.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: