Floor switches Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Floor switches « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

martin perry
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.36.102.124
Posted on Wednesday, 08 June, 2016 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,
I am in the process or resurrecting a 1984 Corniche 2 convertible and don't have and owners manual.
Probably a stupid question!
It has two floor switches - the higher one of the two is the main beam. There is a second one about 6" below this. It doesn't seem to do anything!!!
Screen wash and beam flash are both on stalk
Anyone know what its for??
Many thanks

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Wednesday, 08 June, 2016 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Martin,

DRH14434 was factory-fitted with continental air horns operated by a foot switch on the front bulkhead where a clutch pedal would be located. They operated independently of the conventional electric horns.

I suspect your switch was for the same purpose and possibly the air horns were removed later on for some reason.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 669
Posted on Wednesday, 08 June, 2016 - 02:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Martin,
I had the same switch on my 79 Wraith II. I loved having the foot horn - but guaranteed every time a new driver would get in the car - he or she would have their foot planted on the switch and the horn would blare for the duration of their entry into the car. Nobody ever thinks that their foot is activating a horn so there is never an instinct to remove their foot. The very very very loud noise does not stop until they exit the car. Only then do they realise that they had something to do with it.
Now imagine you work or live near somewhere where disturbing the peace could cost you your job, or involvement with the authorities etc. - the first thing you will do is to disconnect the bugger.
For your information, on my car, these trumpet horns are located behind the front number plate and the relay is clsoe to the suspension tower on the RH side of the car if you are sat inside the car.

martin perry
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.36.102.124
Posted on Thursday, 09 June, 2016 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chaps,
Thankyou so much!!
Horn push is in the normal place, so I don't have to spend hours tracing wires to the non existent airhorn!!
Martin

(Message approved by david_gore)

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, 09 June, 2016 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
I have not seen a floor mounted horn button on these cars.
Could you please post an image?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 673
Posted on Thursday, 09 June, 2016 - 05:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Martin,
Please don't think that cars which had floor mounted horns didnt have the standard steering wheel one too. These cars had both horns working, and if anyone peeved you sufficiently you could hit both horns at the same time. Another prank that you can play with this set-up is to press the two horns alternatively and produce a siren effect.

Dear Patrick,
I sold my Yellow Wraith II last month - so I am unable to get you a photo straight away. The next time I see the new owner I will take a photo for you.

Thanks
Omar

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Thursday, 09 June, 2016 - 07:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

DRH14434 left in 2004 together with most of the photographs of the vehicle and I do not have any images showing the foot switch. I do not know where the vehicle is now.

Hopefully one of our members will have a vehicle with Crewe-fitted air horns and can supply a suitable photograph.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, 09 June, 2016 - 08:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HI Omar
That is hilarious!
I can just picture you doing the "siren" effect while driving your car.
Made me LOL
Thanks David and Omar for future images.
I'm on a mission to find and also hear one of these.
We have a club event coming up this Sunday.
Maybe someone will have a set.
We are off to the recently opened and magnificent looking
Gosford Classic Car Museum.
Check it out boys.
I'm hoping we have good weather and lots show up in their Rolls Royces for the day.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: