UK MOT question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » UK MOT question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roger Routledge
Experienced User
Username: ringarolls

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, 05 June, 2016 - 03:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
My Shadow is booked in for it's MOT early next week.
While I was looking for anything obviously wrong underneath I spotted a slight wetness around the driveshaft clip, the smaller one.
Upon inspection there is a pin hole in the rubber boot next to the clip.
My question, is that part of the MOT inspection,I know it is on front wheel drive cars the CV joint.
I will replace the boot but that will take time and it would be nice to get the MOT done without cancelling.
Thanks for replies.
Roger
SRH 26250

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 396
Posted on Sunday, 05 June, 2016 - 09:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it's only a pinhole, clean the area up and spread a bit of dirt over it, and he probably won't even notice it.

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 08:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rodger, haven't done this myself, but wondered if I experienced same,.. would a bicycle patch solve same. Ie sand slightly, apply glue, then patch.

Carl Heydon
Frequent User
Username: car

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 08:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have said it before but was scoffed at, Sugru!

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 398
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 09:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Personally, I would be wary of doing that because it will draw attention to a bodged repair. And the tear will look much bigger than just a pinhole.

I can't say whether a bodged repair would mean a fail though. It's a risk either way.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it is a pinhole, clean up and seal with a smear of Silicon sealant. My Shadow ran and MOT 'd for a couple of years like that, until I had time to repair it properly.. Ensure there is the correct amount of oil in the joint regularly.
Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: