Rebuilding the rear suspension Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Rebuilding the rear suspension « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2016 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As we all know, after 40 years, the suspension becomes a little tired. Over rough road surfaces I can feel the slight vibrations going through the car. I admit I am being the perfectionist here.

I have started planning a rebuild of the suspension on my car, starting with the rear. An initial costing from parts listed on Flying Spares gives a total of just under 2000 GBP ($3000).

I am looking for ideas on how to get the cost down, whilst keeping the quality up.

A lot of the parts are rubber bushings. Are there any companies out there that can make these bushes?

Can the Delaney Cushions be refurbished?

Are there any substitutes for the short and long subframe compliant cushions.

I'm just researching things at the moment, but would be interested in any views on this project.

I guess ultimately I could price up the whole lot, including the front suspension, and take out a mortgage. Before that I would be interested in any advice.

Geoff

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Prolific User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 08:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

omg Geoff, is this what one must budget for spares for the rear? I did the front suspension including subframe mounts and that ran to 3K EUR, but I thought that the rear would be refreshingly cheaper...

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Friday, 10 June, 2016 - 02:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jean-Pierre

When you rebuilt your front suspension was there a marked difference?

I remember reading in Practical Classics that rebuilding the suspension completely transforms a car. This of course depends on the state of the suspension before it was rebuilt.

My car is now 42 years old and although it drives well I am wondering if I would notice a big difference if I rebuilt the front and rear suspension. I guess the problem is since I haven't got a brand new Silver Shadow to compare my car with, I cannot know what it was like to drive when it was new. It may be the case that I go to the trouble and expense of the rebuild only to find there is very little difference.

Geoff

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Prolific User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, 10 June, 2016 - 02:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,
The decision to rebuild the entirety of the front suspension was triggered by one loose ball joint. I decided to replace everything including the subframe mounts (at that moment they were unavailable, but they are now). I did not do the springs as mine were only half an inch short of the factory new ones. I'll do them after the summer, springs are cheap.
As foe the difference in ''ride'', I am sorry to disappoint you that I am unable to give you a really qualified answer because I performed that work when I was relatively new to the car, and as such, I have no real baseline to compare it to.
But I can tell you that the 30-year old rubber bushings were all 3/4 towards their end-of-life.Car had 85k miles at that moment.
Also, be advised that as long as the ball, inside the ball joint, is not corroded or pitted, you get away with a refurbishment kit, which will save you a lot of money for the same result! I went for new balljoints at that moment but I think different now.
I did not touch the rear (yet), but it drives marvelously!
Also, I added some negative camber to the front, which eliminates all the oversteer. Car feels sporty in corners.
My advice to you: your car is even older at 42 years of age, go ahead and treat it to a rejuvenation. You'll have peace in that department for the next 42 years, hehe.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Friday, 10 June, 2016 - 07:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jean-Pierre

Many thanks for your reply. I think I will go with your recommendation and overhaul the suspension, over the next year or two. As you say, at 42 years of age the parts must be a bit tired by now. It will be interesting to see if there is any marked improvement to ride quality.

Geoff

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Friday, 10 June, 2016 - 07:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I would only go as far as replacing the shock absorbers with the top-of-range units [I think they were Bilstein but may be mistaken] mentioned elsewhere in this forum plus fitting the Turbo R front and rear anti-roll bars [Richard Treacy has covered this in detail on this forum]. Fitting the "colonial" stiffer springs will give the advantage of less settling of the suspension over time minimising changes in ride height.

My main complaint about the standard Shadow suspension was the excessive [in my opinion] body roll when cornering - looked dreadful and uncomfortable in the car. I have driven a Shadow fitted with the Harvey Bailey upgraded suspension and this was a significant improvement on the standard suspension with little change in ride quality.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: