Wiper park off screen switch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Wiper park off screen switch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Friday, 20 May, 2016 - 02:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks

I am trying to break in to the park off screen switch on my windscreen wiper motor. It is definitely faulty.

It is made from nylon. Has anyone ever tried to open one of these, or something similar? I am using a stanley blade on the inner edges of the L shaped rectangular part of the switch. Would a dremel with a circular saw attachment be better?

I have looked on the web but there appears to be no company supplying these parts. A replacement wiper motor is around 400 bucks, so I would rather try and repair/replace this switch as the rest of the unit is ok.

switch

I did see a similar switch on ebay for $29 but it was for a jaguar wiper. It did not appear to have the same slots for the small bolts as on the Lucas 16W unit. Apart from this, I have had no luck in locating a replacement switch.

Geoff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Friday, 20 May, 2016 - 04:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff, the bottom rectangle should prise out. Inside the contacts are moulded into the plastic so tricky to do much with apart from a clean.
Is the plastic pin coming all the way out?

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, 27 June, 2016 - 07:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,
I just came across this question. Apologies for not posting earlier. The switches are available from several suppliers. They are listed in the "Maintain and Repair" article on the wiper motors. I'll post a PDF copy of the article later today.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 464
Posted on Monday, 27 June, 2016 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Steve Hunt in the UK has some on ebay at the moment. Also try Replacement Parts in the US.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-29W-WIPER-MOTOR-PARKING-SWITCH-NEW-/321769604888

Also ANG parts UK

http://www.angclassiccarparts.co.uk/home/reliant/reliant-scimitar/electrical/wiper-motor-parking-switch-reliant-scimitar-gte-se5-se5a-se6-se6a

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, 27 June, 2016 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

application/pdf
Maintaining_and_repairing_the_Lucas_16W_wiper_motor-18280.pdf (470.8 k)

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Monday, 27 June, 2016 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff

Thanks for your reply. Current state of play is I had to re-install the wiper motor without the reverse function as I am preparing for a house move. The car carrier picks the Rolls up this Wednesday. I intend to re-visit this problem as soon as we have sorted our new abode.

I did carry out some extensive web searches when I was trying to restore full wiper functionality but could not find a slot in replacement. I have, this evening, checked the links you have sent but find the switches are not the same. However, I will be looking to purchase one to see if I can modify it to fit. The pictures below both show the problem. Although the pics are from different suppliers I believe they are the same switch. Unfortunately they do not have the slotted ribs that are used to screw the switch to the wiper motor and allow adjustment.

switch

Incidentally, I did carefully break into the original switch but found, as Paul predicted, it was beyond repair.

Best Regards

Geoff

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 466
Posted on Monday, 27 June, 2016 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, when you do the job email Steve Hunt with a photo of what you need. He repairs Lucas wiper motors almost exclusively and I've always found him willing to help. If he doesn't have what you need he might know who does. Failing that I may have a spare or two lying around.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Monday, 27 June, 2016 - 03:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff

Just as soon as I have completed my house move I will do that. Thanks for your help.

Geoff

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: