Another LEAK! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Another LEAK! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, 04 May, 2016 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One of the steel brake lines that goes directly under the center of my 78 Shadow is leaking. I am assuming I need to take it off and have a new line made? How difficult is it to remove? My local NAPA store has brake lines with fittings in various sizes. I am also assuming they will not have the correct fitting? Is this correct? Is there a consensus the Dot 4 brake fluid with the caster oil mixture is acceptable when the new line is installed?

As guidance appreciated! As you can tell, I am new at this on a RR!

Richard

1975 Shadow RHD
1978 Shadow II LHD

Jonas TRACHSEL
Frequent User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, 04 May, 2016 - 04:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard
When getting a new brake line made you MUST specify Cunifer tube. Never use copper tube, too weak for the high pressure system of your SS.
Use the "search" function and you will find quite some more info on Cunifer in this message board.
Jonas

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Wednesday, 04 May, 2016 - 06:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also search "Kunifer" and "90/10" Copper-Nickel alloy as these terms have also been used when posting information about Shadow brake lines.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2016 - 02:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kunifer, Cunifer, KuNiFer, EZ-Bend, and the myriad other names it gets called is easy to source from anyplace that sells brake line.

This stuff is an absolute joy to work with compared to mild steel. It bends and flares so much more easily and it is corrosion resistant.

When I last bought a 25-foot coil in 2012 it cost the princely sum of US $28.37 and it appears to be slightly less expensive these days.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2016 - 02:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

If you suspect that you will be potentially having to replace other segments of line as time goes on it's well worth the money to invest in a decent flaring tool and teach yourself how to make your own lines. It doesn't take much practice to get the technique down.

Here's but one example on eBay and I loved this style because, if the occasion presents itself, it makes it much easier to flare lines that have had a segment cut out in situ rather than having to pull them off the car.

If you're doing the most typical flaring where you have a bubble flare with a brake line nut behind it just order a Bubble Flare Nut (3/8in-24) for 3/16in Brake Line.

If you need to splice two lines with male bubble flared ends together there are in-line adapters that will accept each, making it into a continuous line. I had the fun of needing to do this in the engine bay.

Brian

David Gore

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2016 - 03:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This tool and a tradesman's rotary tube cutter are essential if you intend doing any work on the brake lines. There are compact cutters available which are indispensable when cutting tube "in-situ".

Cannot speak highly enough of the benefits from using both of these tools.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2016 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Is what you refer to as a "tradesman's rotary tube cutter" different than the tube cutter (which in this case is painted red) that's included in the kit I linked to? That's the style that I used.

Brian

David Gore

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Friday, 06 May, 2016 - 07:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Yes - especially the compact sized cutters for use in tight places when the tube/pipe is not easily removable. I have 2 UK Record brand compact cutters which are now 20+ years old and no longer available as far as I am aware. The smallest "mini mini" cutter was invaluable when working underneath DRH1434 as only a small amount of clearance was needed to fully rotate the cutter.

The reference to "trade quality" relates to the quality of the materials used in the cutter especially the cutting disc, the roller and axles. The cheap "hobby" cutters sold by the big hardware discounters are a waste of money in my experience as they wear quickly and do not cut square and cleanly.

A classic case of "you get what you pay for".

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, 09 May, 2016 - 01:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks to all for extremely valuable information. Lucky this time, my local NAPA store had the pipe in almost the exact same length. I will try to install in a few days! I know it is just a matter of time when the other lines will start leaking!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: