Re-silvering an interior rear vision ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Re-silvering an interior rear vision mirror « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gabriël Viljoen
Experienced User
Username: gabriel

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 29 June, 2004 - 09:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good day

I am thinking of having my centre rear view mirror resilvered as well. Could anyone tell me how to remove the glass from the housing of a 1971 Silver Shadow I. You can also contact me on gabriel@exceed.co.za.

Regards

Gabriel

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, 30 June, 2004 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well while you are on the subject of mirrors, does anybody know where I can get gold coating done on mirrors. Nothing to do with cars they are art deco mirrors and look awful in silver. So far I have drawn a blank although the mirror makers know what I am talking about. The scientific route sounds hopeful??

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, 01 July, 2004 - 09:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

Suggest you contact the Mt Stromlo astronomers wherever they are now located as they will know where you can get this done. Coating/resilvering telescope mirrors is standard practice.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, 05 July, 2004 - 07:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good thinking number one I think they are operating out of a burnt log at the moment but I'll find them. Hope things are improving

Roland Geitenbeek (203.25.148.63)
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2002 - 04:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know a person or firm capable of refinishing an interior convex rear vision mirror? The type of finish is on clear glass but not the normal silver mirror finish, rather, it has a duller greyish tone

David Gore (63.60.242.14)
Posted on Tuesday, 26 March, 2002 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have had household mirrors refinished through a local glass supply shop here in Sydney Australia - the only requirement being for the mirror to be removed from its frame. This obviously to ensure you take responsibility for possible breakage during this stage!
I can see no reason why rear vision mirrors should be any different other than the inherent problem of getting the glass out - the convex type is not a problem as the convex relates to the shape of the glass and not the reflective coating on the back. The coating is usually vaporised Aluminium and not Mercury/Silver as used in days long gone - the grey colour is most likely oxidation caused by air getting under the backing to the coating or from the side of the glass. I suggest you should specify that the back and edges of the mirror should be sealed as an essential part of the recoating to minimise discolouration and/or breakdown of the coating around the edge of the mirror.
If you can not find a recoater, contact your nearest Astronomer/Astronomical Society as they will know where to get recoating done as this is a normal part of owning a telescope.

Jim Bettison (203.166.57.11)
Posted on Monday, 01 April, 2002 - 09:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roland,
Where are you located?
A member of the South Australian division of the Rolls Royce Owners Club of Australia (RROC(A)) happens to be both a Shadow owner and a glass technician, and he does resilvering. He did an excellent job of resilvering for me on the glass of a convex Lucas mirror on my 1930 20/25. If you feel able to let me have your address (I don't think he's connected to the 'net) I'll pass it on - use jbettison@internode.on.net for an e-mail.
Jim Bettison.