Speedo blinker now working. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Speedo blinker now working. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, 24 April, 2016 - 09:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you to all who gave me advice and pointers on exracting my speedo and the dismantling of same.
I can see how the hidden screw in the bottom right of the dash timber would have been a huge problem and probably would have ended up in a breakage.
The job was a bit time consuming but very easy, thanks to you guys. Below are a few images as to what I found.
Facia easily removed. Note missing fuel gauge screws.

After disassembling speedo, found melted and baked hard grommets. The offending one had melted towards 6oclock, thus 99% covering the light path to the green filtered repeater on the speedo dial.

I constructed a new grommet from some very thin rubber and held in place with a Dad's favourite thing, a zip tie.

I was surprised to find out the whole dash is plywood.
The broken wire is the high beam indicator.
It just basically fell off.
A quick solder and all is well.

The finished result made me

Thanks everyone
Thank you for taking the time to respond and help me do a job I actually enjoyed doing.

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, 24 April, 2016 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done, Patrick!

Jean-christophe Jost
Experienced User
Username: jc_jost

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2016 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good news ! Thanks for the pictures.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2016 - 01:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

Nice job well done.

It's strange the rubber "grommet" has melted as these warning lights are only on for short duration.

The blue filters that surround the speedo illuminating bulbs on my car had melted. I removed them. Since I had already fitted LEDs it was just a case of painting the LEDs with blue enamel paint of the correct shade. Result is a nice bright speedo gauge at night.

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2016 - 01:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

BTW - Was the rubber pad that sits on top of the steering column cover just resting there or was there a clip on your car.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 988
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2016 - 03:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Super job, nice to see the speedo digets all lined up, this one has not been clocked as so many others I see.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2016 - 07:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys for the replies.
I actually enjoyed the job and it's quite an easy dash to work on.
Of interest the entire back of the speedo, wires globes speedo cable the lot is accessed with heaps of room once the fuse panel is dropped. 30 seconds to change globes if needed in future.
Yes Geoff, I was surprised at the melting as well, plus they were baked solid, and when I touched them , they just turned to black particles. As you rightly say, it's not like the speedo lights themselves, they don't operate much.
No, my pad just sits there, quite odd when you think about it.
The rest of the speedo was all perfect.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 585
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2016 - 02:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
the melting is never to do with the heat that the bulbs give out. I think it is to do with cabin temperature cycles when the car is parked in direct sunlight. The heat builds up inside the glass house you call your car and if the conditions are right the speedo acts as a magnifying glass as the sun shines directly at it causing localised heat spots.
Just a theory.

Omar

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2016 - 06:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar.
I can see just that happening.
After 43 y arms of Australian sun on and off, your theory could be spot on.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: