Idiot Lights Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Idiot Lights « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ralph C Brooks
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.219.245.245
Posted on Wednesday, 22 December, 2004 - 02:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have lost any faith I ever had on the reliability and meaning of the 10 idiot lights on my 1980 SWII. The ice warning comes on at 5C. OK,I have a thermometer which is very accurate. The stop light warning flashes briefly whenever I tap the brake pedal, no big deal as it also tells me that the cruise control is off. The temperature warning light never comes on even whe the engine is steaming; only happened once and I caught it on my temperature guage.
But the brake pressure lights have a mind of their own: When I start the engine, both lights are on. #1 goes off immediately, #2 takes about 30 seconds to extinguish. I drive 15 miles at 65 mph and park. After applying the brakes during parking, #1 comes on, but goes ou aftera few second at idle. Sometimes, during a trip, #2 comes on and stays lit. Stopping the car and switching off the engine, on restarting, both lights are off. Also during a trip, #1 will glow at half brightness. And I thoughtthat a switch was ON or OFF.
The brakes work well even for panic stops (happens occassionally).
Other info: accumultors rebuilt four years ago, front pads replaced a year ago, front hoses replaced 6 months ago, no fluid leaks.
The above symtoms have been arong for 4 years; I have decided that as long as I have good brakes and both lights are off under weigh, I have quit worrying.

(Message approved by david_gore)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

whunter
Grand Master
Username: whunter

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, 23 December, 2004 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rebuild the low pressure switches.
Build a pressure test gauge unit.
Check system pressures, sounds like there may be an issue.
whunter
ASE Master Mechanic
asemastermechanic@juno.com

AUTOKUNST
754 Orchard Lake Road
Pontiac, MI. 48341
Phone# 248-334-3120
Fax#248-334-0435