Steering rack re-seal / overhaul Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Steering rack re-seal / overhaul « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brad Clinch
New User
Username: brad_clinch

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 20 December, 2004 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

The time has come to re-seal (or overhaul) the steering rack in my Shadow II.
It has had a slight fluid seepage for some time, and more recently has intermittently lost sufficient for it to require topping every few days… until last week when it dumped the fluid whilst parked, and the fluid used to top it up to get the car home ended up in a drip tray overnight!
Since buying the car two and a half years ago, I have only used Dextron III in the steering pump reservoir.
This 1979 model has 62,000 miles on it.
And there has been no notable free-play in the steering, so hope that re-sealing is all that will be required.
The LHS rack convoluted seal / concertina boot has had a split in it for some time, but I have not yet examined the centre tube.

I’ve so far obtained prices for kits ranging from £149 (Introcar #STEERACKKT X1) to AUD$1,500 (from a Brisbane supplier).
After having skimmed through the workshop manual, find that the R&R of the steering rack sounds straight forward. But I haven’t gone too far into the dismantling and re-assembly yet.
And as I drive the car regularly (well I did until last week), I wish to attend to the problem promptly.

Question 1/
Has anyone ever matched any of the seals from alternative (non-genuine) suppliers such as bearing and seal suppliers?

Question 2/
Are there any steps in the procedures requiring special attention, or specific tooling?
(I have quite a large collection of tools but no RR specific, other than a greasing adaptor and sump plug Allen keys)

Question 3/
Can anyone advise further?

Thank you.
Regards,
Brad C

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, 20 December, 2004 - 01:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brad,

This topic has been covered in great detail [and is continuing] on this forum.

Suggest you make yourself comfortable for a couple of hours and use the SEARCH function with the key words "steering rack".

Brad Clinch
Experienced User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 20 December, 2004 - 03:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David.
I have had a look (but for a limited time) yet had only found the steering box conversion debate.
Will use the search.
Thank you.
Regards,
Brad Clinch

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, 23 December, 2004 - 03:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brad,

Go to:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/1869.html?1103547309

RT.

Brad Clinch
Experienced User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, 24 December, 2004 - 07:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Richard,

After David's advice, I used the 'search' function rather than searching myself; found and viewed the topic you directed me to... yet only relatively briefly.
Since then though, I notice that there have been numerous additions.
I am printing it out for further reading.
Thanks again.

Regards,
BradC

P.S. Merry Christmas!