"New Fish" and 1973 Silver Shadow SRH... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » "New Fish" and 1973 Silver Shadow SRH16373 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Adlam
Yet to post message
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 09 April, 2016 - 09:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Greetings everyone.

Allow me to introduce ourselves- Nick A. and 1973 SS1 SRH16373.

I've been a "lurker" on this awesome forum for the best part of 2 years while on my hunt for a Silver Shadow. After gallivanting around Oz and checking out 7 machines, I finally settled on SRH16373.

I was surprised how poor most of the cars were, and quickly realised that price is def not always indicative of condition, or providence.

She is a very good "all-rounder" with nice paint, interior and mechanicals- the pic of the pack. Def not concours, but a lovely machine that I'm now happy to hop in and drive from Brisbane to Melbourne without a whimper.

She is finished in Regency Bronze, with Tan leather and Deep Fawn carpets.

The previous owner and I have lavished plenty of love and $$$ on this fine machine and I'm happy to say she drives well and looks great. No big issues.

In addition to major servicing, I have poured HOURS into fine tuning, tweaking, lubing, cleaning, etc and have filed everything into a big A4 binder. I'm still amazed as to what I've achieved with this, and gotta admit, am quite proud.

Minor niggles- Number 2 pump taps when cold- I've put it down to cam/pushrod lash. All quiet when warm after 3-5 mins. Spheres/valves/hoses/seals are all good and recent- 70+ pumps and nice braking.

Did suffer a somewhat lumpy idle- have replaced the entire ignition electrics. Fitted NGK BP4EY (a bit hotter, with V-groove) plugs and tweaked the hell out of the jet and volume screws- all good now!. Someone else on here suffered the same hassle, with a very similar car. The BP4EY plugs really helped out a lot. The valve stem seals are due, but not major.

Big thanks to ALL you guys on here, but will especially mention Bob UK, Paul Yorke, Richard Treacy, Brian Vogel and David Gore.

Tried to post a pic of us but wouldn't upload. There's a critera?.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 08:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nick,

The forum software requires a series of steps to post images in a post being a legacy from the days when DOS preceded the current Windows user graphical interface:

1. Resize any images to 480 x 640 [portrait view] or 640 x 480 [landscape view] pixels [these are the traditional 4 inch x 6 inch postcard sizes] - this prevents having to scroll across the page to read the post and view the image on the monitor screen. Take a note where you have stored the image in your files as you will need to insert this location during the posting process.

2. Go to the "Documentation" Header in the nenu on the LHS of the home page for the forum and scroll down the the header "Formatting".

3. Click to open this section and scroll down to the "Other Formatting" header and open the "images, attachments and clipart" header [the reason I am doing this is for you to see the relevant information on how to use the forum software for possible future use by you].

4. You can go direct to this header using the following link:

http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/discus.pl?pg=formatting#images

5. After composing your post and inserting the code for posting images [Note: always insert a blank line above and below the line of code to separate the image from the text to make the post easier to view], preview the post to see the output that you you see in the example [you will not see the image at this stage]. Edit if necessary before previewing again.

6. When you are happy with the post, click the "post this message" button underneath the preview and a new page will open requesting you to insert the location of the image file[s]. Do this for each image using the "Browse" button and then click the "Upload" button at the bottom of the page. After a short time, your post including the images will appear.

7. If you make a mistake and cannot open the post to edit it, do not worry. Just copy the text into a new post and edit it as necessary before adding the image inserts and repost below the incorrect post. I will delete the unwanted post when I next check the forum.

8. If you have any other problems or need advice, please message me through the "Moderators" button on top RHS of the forum home page. Just click on my name and then the "Click Here" button at the bottom of my profile page. I will usually respond either from my morning and evening visits to the forum however there may be a longer delay if I am away from my home bases [yes, I have two - one in Sydney and the other in country NSW].

Thanks for the acknowledgement - however we have an eclectic range of appreciated but sometimes unacknowledged contributors who also contribute in their own way to making this forum an invaluable source of information to R-R/B custodians no matter where they live in the world. We rely on feedback on the eventual outcome arising from the input of each and all contributors to encourage ongoing participation of our contributors. We all have information and knowledge that eventually will be invaluable for someone else to help solve a problem or achieve the desired outcome.

Nick Adlam
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 02:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I've found so many of you guys a big help- saved me time, hassle and even $$$ on a few occasions. Apologies to everyone I didn't specifically mention- you've all be great, even for a laugh- we sometimes need one when ordering a fresh batch of gold-plated parts for these lovable monsters!.

Well, here we are. Just finished a 750km day trip. No FTP's!!.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 02:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nick

Good to see you have sorted the photo uploads.

Your experience when looking for a Shadow mirrors mine. I too found that most were very poor. I took some long drives only to find I was looking at wrecks (well not quite, but I had sufficient knowledge to know they would have cost a fortune to get them up to the standard I wanted)

I originally wanted a series II, mainly for the rack and pinion steering and other upgrades. However a 74 SY1 turned up locally in such good condition I had to buy it. Since then I have come to prefer it to the SY2. I like the chrome bumpers and also the much lower maintenance costs (cognitive dissonance or what).

Your car looks great.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
New User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 07:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great looking car Nick, love the colour.
Mate I feel/felt your pain.
I had only ever wanted a SY1 car as I have not been a fan of the series 2 bumper bars.
However the below mentioned SSII took my fancy.
I looked at about 15 cars before I found SRH12255.
My wife and I drove from Sydney to Moama to see a series 2 peacock blue standard saloon due to what looked like a pristine body and as new interior which when we got there wasn't to far off the mark, until-----------
I opened the bonnet and found every single wire, including all exposed sections of HT leads that the insulation had been completely stripped/eaten bare leaving loose and all green oxidised wires by mice, every single WIRE!!
I asked the owner, "don't you think maybe you should have meantioned that?" He actually didn't think it was an issue, as it actually ran quite well. I was amazed it ran at all.
Funny enough, the intake trunk was still fully intact????
Then he said (never mentioned in the 10 phone calls or numerous errors emails) that the brake system had failed over 5 years ago, and the exhaust needed replacing front to back, and both front floors were rotted out from a badly replaced windscreen 20 years ago.
His asking price was $26k. I offered $5 k as the interior was worth that, I told him I need the rest of the POS to get the interior home.
That was 2 years ago, and he still has it.
When I grabbed my torch ( car was stored in a barn) to see the chassis number, I assessed that under the bonnet alone, there would have been in excess of 10 kg of mouse and rat droppings.
Enjoy driving your car Nick, it looks a million bucks. Well done.

Nick Adlam
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 08:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Pat- mate, what a nightmare with that peacock blue- I'd be hard pressed to remain polite after that long trip. I can just imagine your face expression when you opened the bonnet, then having the seller fobbing off minor little things like brake failure and bare wires throughout the whole engine bay!- nice guy. I really found that some sellers love to bamboozle you with the aura of RR- nice try!.

Geoff- By the looks of your photos and posts/threads, it sounds like you have a very nice machine. Well done.

Hey, I'm thinking of starting a thread where we all post up photos of our monsters, and our mugs too if you feel up to it. Would be great to put cars and/or faces to our names. Opinions?.

Patrick Ryan
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 08:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nick,
Great idea mate.
Why don't you start us off with another image of your stunning SSI.
Can I add to the suggestion of one interior shot as well?

In regards to the peacock blue car, I really had to hold my tongue as man I would have exploded.
It all turned out well as we went across the river to Echuca and had a great 2 days. All was not lost.

Jean-christophe Jost
New User
Username: jc_jost

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The car looks great. The smiling man at the wheel means a LOT more than just a car! Congratulations.

David Towers
Experienced User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 01:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As above: smiling man at the wheel DOES mean a lot. I like Shadows a lot (prefer the S2 though - childhood influence) but had to have a turbo.

I had similar experiences looking for an SZ here in the UK. Travelled all over the place (distances somewhat shorter than yours I imagine!) looking at cars that were described as FSH, immaculate etc that turned out to be awful poor old things. It was so bad that I gave up looking for a number of years.

When I started again, I was fortunate that various people in the RR world around the UK often went and looked at cars for me in the first place to save me long days out (I am 'unwell' so long days are a no-no!) and every car was over described, overpriced or tatty.

When I found my first Turbo R it was great, history, obviously been looked after, few small cosmetic jobs needed but otherwise, great, so I bought it and it 'blew up' within 200 miles! I honestly thought I was destined to never have a Bentley! Then I found the video on youtube of it being tracked which sort of explained a lot!

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 07:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OMG David.
What happened after she blew up?

Do you have the youtube link?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: