High Beam Indicator Lamp Change Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » High Beam Indicator Lamp Change « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 650
Posted on Sunday, 27 March, 2016 - 09:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, has anyone done this successfully? The lamp on the '77 Wraith II seems to be out.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Sunday, 27 March, 2016 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wood off.
Either take high beam light out or take out the 4 in 1 gauges. Leave wires connected.

Pull out bulb and holder.

Disconnect the battery before you start.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 910
Posted on Monday, 28 March, 2016 - 06:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Convert to blue LED. Last forever.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 651
Posted on Monday, 28 March, 2016 - 08:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Got it repaired. The bulb holder had slipped out of the lens sleeve and was hanging behind the 4-n-1 cluster. I removed the 4-n-1 and got everything back in place and it works fine. The bulb was fine.
I would consider converting all the bulbs: I noticed the bulbs with the little blue cover on them. I know I would get more light with the LED.
Thanks for the advice!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 914
Posted on Monday, 28 March, 2016 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good oh.

My view is that if the dash light of whatever is working then leave as is. But when awarkward to replace bulbs blow then I fit an led.

I use the old bulb brass bit and solder a led and resistor to the brass bit so it still fits the original holder and then just pop it in the hole. Because the Led are coloured no need for coloured sleeves. My auxiliary gauge bulbs blew and I replaced with green LEDs and the instruments are very green. Quite nice. The dashboard dimmer still works but the difference is less.

LEDs are about 3v which means a resistor is needed. It can be fitted either side neg or pos. Fit resistor inside the brass cap, so the original wiring is in touched.

Resistance value.
If LEDs are wired in series the volts goes up 4 or 5 in series will work direct from 12v. However if a resistor is added in series it will protect the LEDs from over volts. 2000 ohms. - + 30 %

For a single LEDs use 10,000 ohms. - + 30 %

Also resistor helps protect from wrong polarity damage to the led. So you really can't go wrong.

I get resistors from scrap electronics. And LEDs from Christmas tree lights. The bigger element inside the Led is negative.

I could just buy the bits for pennies. But I get a kick out of making stuff that cost me nothing. Moths in the wallet don't you know.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Monday, 28 March, 2016 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy

I have replaced all the bulbs in my gauges and also the miniature bulbs that illuminate the switches. They are all plug in replacements, 12v. They have transformed the dash. I bought them from ledlight.com.

Since they only have white LEDs in the miniature size I used enamel paint to color them. The enamel comes in small bottles from the Michael's hobby store. Very effective and gives a bright blue light.

I would be very wary about changing the warning light bulbs. I have left them unchanged on my car. Some of the warning systems rely on the correct resistance in the bulb for correct operation e.g. the coolant level amp. You could use Bobs method of soldering a resister in series however my preference is to not modify the car. I think also that future owners will not thank you for complicating what should be a simple bulb change.

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Monday, 28 March, 2016 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob

I misread your entry. When you said you soldered the led to the "old bulb brass bit" I thought you meant the bulb holder, not the screw thread of the old bulb. Your method clearly leaves the bulb holder intact.

I understand you enjoy being creative in making your own led bulbs, but for me it's so much easier to buy the 12v plug in replacements.

Each to his own and long may it continue.

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 920
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2016 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for rereading my posting. Chopping wiring around is a no no because it's very difficult to put right invisible unless a ne loom is fitted which rather some else than me sort of thing.

I am aware that sometimes a circuit relys on the bulb ohms to work the circuit correctly.

A solution is to dummy load the LED bulb with a resistor in parallel. Which makes things complicated a step to far. So incadesence bulbs are best refitted in this case. I think maybe the warning lights for brakes and coolant level are like this.

I am always mucking about with stuff. I might one day find something that never been found before. Plus TV is for the bored.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: