SY Series Gear Selector Lever Safety ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » SY Series Gear Selector Lever Safety Issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 02:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents, This came up in the topic "Carpet Cleaning" so I began a new thread here: on the '77 Wraith I hit the selector lever several times while driving with my fingers; I even knocked it into park once at very low speed. The lever is too close to the steering wheel. I want to change it for safety but I am not sure how. Could it be removed and bent away from the wheel?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 07:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes I agree that it is a bad dangerous design fault, altering it wouldn't be easy maybe if the lever was shortened a tad so it would be less likely to be touched accidently might work (just a thought )

Richard.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 08:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ouch. That sounds fun.

I've had a couple of cars in with bent levers and too small gaps. There should be a good 2 or 3 inches between the rim and the lever.

No idea how people managed it.

I had used ones around so swapped them over but if you can see where it's been bent it may be worth trying to tweak it in situ.

Maybe tape the whole length to protect the chrome and use two large ring spanners to carefully hold the Base and gently bend the tube forward a little. (Will only work if you have the pencil type shifter and not the shark fin type. )

Be gentle though.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 642
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can only hear "snap" when I think about this

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
I'll post a thread on the General tab as the same problem exists on SY and SZ cars ok
Mike

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 879
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 06:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Most strange. The lever isn't weak and bending it by accident is unlikely. Why would any body want it closer to the wheel. It's not as if one would be constantly using it. Most times I select drive and the lever not moved until I get where I am going.

My lever is a waisted chrome round thing with black plastic. I like the shape and have been thinking of copying the shape for a guitar whammy bar.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 646
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In looking at my Cars: the '70 Shadow's lever is at least three inches forward of the wheel rim.
the one on the '77 WraithII is about 1/2 inch. In attempting to bend the lever away it actually rotated. Aha! The bend is intended to be perpendicular to the column, not parallel. I was able to move the lever away from the wheel without bending it. Apparently over time it had twisted in its mount so that it was too close to the wheel. Situation corrected.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 881
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 06:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah ha. The lever can rotate. That explains how the lever got bent or not bent.

My lever is shaped like a slender woman

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 09:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whether designed, or serendipity, an added benefit is that the ability to rotate allows the driver to adjust the distance according to preference. Splendid.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: