'77 Wraith II Detroit Joint Rubber R... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » '77 Wraith II Detroit Joint Rubber Replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 611
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 08:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok, all I have to do is get the large end of the rubber boot over the lip on the Detroit joint pot then install the clamps and put the 150 mL of oil in.
What is the special tool, incantation, or explosive used to install the boot?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 08:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy, if you search you should find instructions on here.

Leave the boot in boiling water for much longer than you think it will need.

A round bar with a gentle point and NO SHARP edges at all. Grease.

Pray. Lots. LOL. No it goes on with a plop if warmed enough.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 438
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 08:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul if you remember Randy used the Pin out method and didn't boil the boot so therefore he is going to have to heat it while attached to the drive shaft Randy get a big bucket of boiling water and follow Pauls advice.

Richard.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 09:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ahhhh sorry I didn't read it properly. Or remember it was Randy with his pin out. Ohh err missus.

Put it together. Slip one side onto the pot.

Keep pressure on the pot and run a flat head screwdriver around the lip from the 'on' side to the other.

Warmth helps. On the home stretch now :-) Excuse the pun!

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 612
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 09:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, friends. I realize it's cool here though sunny and the boot was cold and stiff. When I resume action I will begin by gently warming things.
Also it does not help that this is the exhaust side.
I will get it eventually.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 441
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 09:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy a wee bit of washing up Liquid or red rubber grease might help a bit.

Richard.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 613
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 01:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agreed: I will lube it up next try.
It is really difficult to get a good push going on it. Maybe I can get The Boy to assist when he comes by. I was using a soft blunt board; I certainly don't want to damage the boot at this stage; I could not push and manipulate the screwdriver at the same time.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 06:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try with the shaft held in a vice - pin upwards.

If you have one of the hose removal tools they Are good to slide aaround and lift thę lip on to there.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, 20 January, 2016 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We are confusing two issues: I have the boot on the shaft; and the shaft in the car; it's a little tricky to get the large end of the boot over the Detroit joint pot, partly because it was too cold and it was stiff, partly because it's on the exhaust side with less than ideal access, and partly because I am alone.
I will get it.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Wednesday, 20 January, 2016 - 01:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah OK Randy, yes wait for a hand :-)

Much easier with two.

Can you get a hot air gun near it to warm it up?

Good luck with finishing it off.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 617
Posted on Wednesday, 20 January, 2016 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Got it! After warming with the hair dryer and applying some slickum-up around the edge, I got it on very nicely. Clamps on, 150 ml lube installed and the plug tight. Hooray.
Every suggestion helped; thanks Friends!

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 443
Posted on Wednesday, 20 January, 2016 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy pour yourself a nice gin and tonic relax and brace yourself for the next episode in owning and maintaining one or more of these splendid Motor cars, I think you should maybe have another one Cheers.

Richard.

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, 20 January, 2016 - 06:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy I had the same problem when fitting it from ground on axel stands.It took me ages then eureka, I noticed if I got the boot on one half and at the same time as supporting(boot) turn the drive, you now have the exposed side closer to you. It might take a few times but from memory it's much easier this way

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 618
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2016 - 07:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hubert you are right also.
"A Thing of beauty is a joy forever"

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 620
Posted on Saturday, 23 January, 2016 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Successful test drive this afternoon after the skies cleared; ambient about 7C though and no heat from the ACC I suspect the heater coolant tap is stuck.
Anyway, the shudder on pulling that I reported earlier may be gone; too soon to tell for certain but I could not duplicate it this afternoon. Perhaps it was a direct result of the Detroit joint being dry of lubrication because of the failed rubber boot. I shimmed the joint a little to tighten it up and that may have helped.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 627
Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2016 - 06:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This morning I removed the left axle and reassembled the Detroit joint with the thick thrust washers in their correct position on the inside of the trunnion ball and needles.
That makes the third time and I finally have it right. I am getting good at it too: took me about an hour or so once I got it in the air.
A test drive about 30 miles and She is very smooth with Her new tires and powder-coated wheels. Ooooohh sooooo smooooth.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Sunday, 21 February, 2016 - 02:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

:-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: