Low Pressure Hoses for Shadows and Cl... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Low Pressure Hoses for Shadows and Clouds « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 288
Posted on Saturday, 04 December, 2004 - 03:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is more of a Shadow question but does apply to their prececessors. What hosing can be used for the low pressure return from the accumulators and the low pressure gravity feed lines from reservoir to the pumps? I am told none of the common hoses will stand up to brake fluid including fuel and transmission. There is also the question of the design and type of hose from the accumulator on a Shadow II. Apparently there is a problem with hammering. Advice please.

whunter
Grand Master
Username: whunter

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, 04 December, 2004 - 05:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill
The hammering issue can be reduced by using extra hose in the right front return loop, roughly 2 - 3 feet of hose, in most cases the sound will be totally gone.

The standard CREWE hose works well.

The only other hose that might work as well is viton, but I have no data, and do not plan to use it myself, it costs more than OEM.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Search for "viton tube".
High-Temperature Viton Rubber Tubing
• Temperature Range: -15° to +400° F
• Color: Firm: Opaque black;
Hard: Opaque black, green, or brown • Durometer, Shore A: Firm: 60; Hard: 75
• Tensile Strength: 1600 psi
• Elongation: Firm: 380%; Hard: 193%
• Sterilization: Not rated
• Material Meets: Not rated
• Fittings: Barbed (see pages 111-118 )

Harder than natural rubber, this synthetic rubber tubing resists high temperatures, ozone, and UV exposure. Use for chemicals, natural gas, and oil. Not pressure rated, use for gravity flow applications. Not rated for bend radius. To Order: For Hard tubing please specify black, green, or brown.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, 06 December, 2004 - 04:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

Don't use Viton. I tried that, and you know my illicit source. It hates brake fluids and is unstable. I tried it ages ago for accumulator o-rings and hoses alike with miserable results.

At the risk of starting yet another brawl, standard brake hose has served extremely well for years in my applications as a low pressure return in standard length.

whunter
Grand Master
Username: whunter

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, 06 December, 2004 - 07:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Richard Treacy.
This is data that I did not have.
I will be happy to accept your word that it will NOT work.
Have a great day.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 475
Posted on Monday, 06 December, 2004 - 07:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WH,

Sorry if my comment may have seemed a bit harsh or unspoken. Absolutely no disrespect was intended.

Viton is a fantastic material in extremely demanding environments, especially ultra-high pressures and perfect vacuums. Viton seals are used extensively in nuclear research and by NASA with amazing results. You will find tons and tons of it at CERN, MIT and Pasedena alike. With this in mind, and with insider sources of the stuff, I applied it to our own humble T-Series hydraulics, but with very disappointing results. That was around the time that the Viton pioneers realised that it is indeed a wonder compound, but with limitations.

The statistical sample significance I offer in cars is negligible, but still 4/4 o-rings failed (two tries with each accumulator), and both hoses came close. I just recommend a less courageous approach.

Now, what were those leaky seals made from on that first crashed space shuttle ? They were blamed for its demise. Remember the pictures of the fuel escaping uncontrolled from its giant o-rings between the propellant sections seconds before it disintegrated.

Cheers,

RT.