Embarrassingly noisy front suspension Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Embarrassingly noisy front suspension « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, 05 November, 2015 - 05:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently replaced the rear lower bearing pins and the stabilizer bar rubber bushes on the front suspension of my '79 Shadow.

It handles much tighter BUT ... after a few miles, with all systems warmed up, the suspension makes a loud creaking noise that seems to come from the rubber bushes.
You can click on the following YouTube link to hear it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTEDpIpFbLA&feature=youtu.be

After it has cooled down an the rubber bushes become harder again the noise entirely disapears.
I have sprayed the bushes with silicone grease to no avail.

How can I get rid of this noise ?

Benoit

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 664
Posted on Thursday, 05 November, 2015 - 06:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try brake fluid. Use a medical syringe so the fluid is well controlled. Else it will strip the paint off adjacent parts. Any excess soapy water.

Or use soapy water instead of brake fluid not washing up liquid because of salt in washing up liquid.

Does it go in the rain ?

Also.

Rubber bushes should always be tightened when the suspension is at the correct ride height. To do this put axle stands under front hubs. Loosen the pin nuts give the car a bounce and re tighten. 4 post lift saves a lot of time.

Also.

A creaking noise can be pin pointed by placing your finger on the bush housing to save doing the wrong bits. The creak could be something else.

Have you greased the nipples if not you might as well. I find greasing the nipples very satisfying.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, 05 November, 2015 - 06:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Benoit did you put rubber grease on the bushes before you fitted them or did you spray them afterwards you might try refitting them greasing them prior to fitting.

Richard.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Thursday, 05 November, 2015 - 08:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll second Richard's suggestion about putting rubber grease/silicone grease on the contact surfaces of the bushes before installing them and tightening them down.

I had this issue with my Jaguar and the mechanic had to take 'em off, grease 'em up, and put 'em back on. You could not make this noise occur unless the car was being driven as it required the kind of forces applied during driving to make it occur. No amount of "bouncing" the car when it was stationary, whether cold or just in from a run, would induce that sound.

It's quite amazing how much noise these can make and how it travels through the car's structure.

Brian

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, 05 November, 2015 - 09:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The point about feeling the noise through vibration is excellent. Get a friend to "bounce" car whilst you check. Try to do this with weight on suspension. If you have access to some planks of different length nailed together to make steps to gain more ground clearance (make sure they are wider than tyre width, so the car does NOT roll off the sides). The obvious place to start is where you have worked/replaced parts. the rubber grease comment is good as well. Try loosening the bearing pin retaining washer/bush, one at a time to see if that affects noise. Shadows are pretty good generally, does seem to point to bearing pin though.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 667
Posted on Friday, 06 November, 2015 - 06:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A high kerb is handy.