Shadow 1 wont start Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Shadow 1 wont start « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 352
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2015 - 07:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I have started this problem on a thread of its own as I now have eliminated the starter motor as the cause by crossing the connecting wires with a screwdriver I have also replaced the starting motor relay with a new one no difference. when I turn the ignition key to on the light comes on bright the fuel pump doesn't make any noise there is no power at the live terminal of the coil seems to be a wiring problem or another relay somewhere any assistance would be very welcome.

Richard.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 956
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2015 - 08:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard

Have you checked the fuse 12 connections, before and aft of the actual fuse. It may be a bad connection in the fusebox. The ignition and fuel pump are routed through this fuse.

It is the third fuse up from the bottom of the tray - left bank.

Geoff

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 353
Posted on Saturday, 05 September, 2015 - 08:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Geoff it is indeed an SY1 SRH 19529 first registered in U k Oct 1974 I will check the fuses in the morning as it is 11.20 pm here in Northern Ireland.

Richard.

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, 06 September, 2015 - 05:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, you might consider, taking a temporary wire from the positive side of battery to the coil and try crank engine..she should start if it's just lack of power?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 354
Posted on Sunday, 06 September, 2015 - 06:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Hubert earlier this evening I checked Geoffs advice and indeed that fuse was blown I haven't replaced it yet so I don't know whether its solved yet will know tomorrow.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, 08 September, 2015 - 07:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I replaced the fuse today and yes petrol pump working well turn key to start and nothing just the click of the new relay. I will check if the wire at the starter has power going to it tomorrow as mentioned earlier the starter turned over when the terminals were bridged so maybe a new wire from the relay might do it your thoughts would be appreciated.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 489
Posted on Wednesday, 09 September, 2015 - 05:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Which terminals were breached.

The main battery feed to the similar nut terminal below will work the motor only.

Battery feed to the solenoid terminal Lucas colour code white with red tracer will work the whole motor and crank the engine. Disconnect the ignition coil first. And if running engine pull the gbox cut out relay or remove rear wheels.

When checking out electrical faults if a fuse is connected betwixt battery neg and earth then should one drop a clanger the fuse blows. Piece of wood two nails and 30 amp fuse wire and crocodile clips.

Or for delicate low amp stuff. Put a light bulb 21 watt in series any dropped clangers and the bulb goes bright.
A light bulb across a fuse holder. If the bulb is bright then dead short. If bulb is dim then less than dead short and likely to be legitimate load.
Not suitable for electronic stuff.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 356
Posted on Wednesday, 09 September, 2015 - 06:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all systems go when I had replaced the relay and then the fuse I had forgotten to put the thin wire back on the Solenoid silly old fool that I am.

Richard.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Thursday, 10 September, 2015 - 01:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Welcome to the, But I thought I did that!! club.

Generally it's considered a secret society, but it shouldn't be!

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 494
Posted on Thursday, 10 September, 2015 - 07:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah hah.

I lost a grease nipple from the front suspension so I brought one 46p. Then I found the missing one on the bathroom window sill. I found a missing can of grease in the larder.

Losing bits and bobs is a hazard of taking cars apart. Also forgetting to plug all the wires in is a symptom of Rolls-Roycesititus. Still it could be worse you could have Fordsititus.