Exhaust Manifold Bolt Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Exhaust Manifold Bolt « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 506
Posted on Tuesday, 01 September, 2015 - 01:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know offhand the size and grade of the exhaust manifold bolts? I found the top bolt for A1 was missing from my '77 Wraith II after I removed the intake air heater assembly. I suppose it fell out, as there is no broken remnant. Of course, the spacer is lost as well.

michael vass
Experienced User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, 01 September, 2015 - 01:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi
BOLT.3125UNF X 1.750 LONG
Can't help with the spacer but you could measure one already on.
Hope that helps
Mike

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 507
Posted on Tuesday, 01 September, 2015 - 02:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tremendous help!
Thanks a bunch.
Regards,
Randy

vincent vitale
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.199.49.246
Posted on Wednesday, 08 June, 2016 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What wrench (AF,whitworth,mm,) and size of bolt head is it? whats better to release bolt: start engine let it run put CB BLASTER on it overnite. or just turn it cold. thanks

(Message approved by david_gore)

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, 10 June, 2016 - 07:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vincent,
1/2" AF. Soak in penetrating oil overnight.
Good luck.
Regards, Nigel.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Friday, 10 June, 2016 - 06:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it is reluctant to come out, try and grab the spacer and turn bolt and spacer at the same time.

Nipping up exhaust manifold bolts and sump bolts are an annual service must.

Often the heads are rusted down so you may have to force on a 12mm ring spanner or socket.

Use good quality tools.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 04:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Six sided in most cases will work.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 526
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 08:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Exhaust manifold bolts are something put on earth to create pain and anxiety in the minds of mechanics. They are nasty horrid things like an eyeball full of petrol.

Randy make sure there is a good thread in the cylinder head before putting a new bolt it and don't put a spring washer on it because that's an exercise in futility. If your thread is gone you will need to helicoil it.

Do have fun.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Be careful they are helicoiled from new!

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 527
Posted on Sunday, 12 June, 2016 - 06:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ekkk ! I hope Randy's thread is still there then or it could be a nasty little little horror story !

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 676
Posted on Sunday, 12 June, 2016 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did confirm the thread is still there. I understand it is not unheard of that on occasion one or more of these bolts will loosen and fall out. My 1970 Shadow had one missing on the B-Bank. As Paul says, they should be nipped up occasionally. The manifold does not leak at all. I will get on this little project I have been putting off and let everyone know the outcome.I have been quite busy with electrical wiring in my new garage-barn and seems there is always something to do. I tried to start the MGB Friday afternoon and fuel started pouring out from the area where the SU fuel pump is mounted. I looked and did not see anything obviously wrong, so this requires further investigation. Always something!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Monday, 13 June, 2016 - 05:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Give the float chamber a tap with a spanner. May just be a sticky valve or float.

The joys of old cars ;)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: