Fuel Filter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Fuel Filter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Scard
New User
Username: alanscard

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 29 August, 2015 - 05:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ref. 1972 Shadow 1 SRH 13952.
Does anyone know of a filter manufactures p/n for the main fuel filter. Looking at the workshop manual the picture shows a Purolator MFF 377. I cannot find this number in my 1996/97 Purolator catalogue. The Rolls p/n is CD 4299 but at over £30 Sterling seems expensive. As Beaulieu Autojumble is coming up in a few weeks time, if I can find some alternative p/n's I may be able to pick up a bargain

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 470
Posted on Saturday, 29 August, 2015 - 06:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

If you are using UK petrol or similiar quality petrol then this filter is not required. There is a filter in the tank which is cleaned by removing the drain plug. The fuel pump has a filters and both carbs have filters.

I took my filter out and it was clean so I put it back. I have had this car for 26 years.

SU fuel pumps require a free flowing feed. If the feed is obstructed it will cause the pumps solenoid to be energised to long which can eventually burn out something.

The solenoid draws the petrol from the tank and the spring pushes the fuel to the carbs. The solenoid does not push the fuel.

This means that this filter must be clean and free flowing. If a replacement cannot be found then leave the filter element out. Be careful fitting something that is not correct because of flow.

Because petrol is now flowing into a void it slows down this causes dirt to drop out and stay at the bottom of the now empty filter can.

Note if you decide to remove the whole filter and re plumb direct. Then keep the parts removed because Shadows are increasing in value and originality is going to be an important factor in the value.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 503
Posted on Saturday, 29 August, 2015 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Both my Cars (1970 and 1977) use the Crossland 444 element. I was searching for a source at lower cost, and learned the Purolator housing for this filter was widely used on oil furnaces in the UK. Some of the plumbing supply businesses in the UK still offer them; one recent web page offered them at L6.80.
I hope this helps you.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Saturday, 29 August, 2015 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

If you know of a source that actually has these in stock please do post it.

I long ago learned that UK HVAC companies that deal with oil heat list them in their online catalogs, but every time I've ever tried to order them they have been "not in stock" and with absolutely no projected availability date.

Since there are two additional fuel filters just upstream of the carbs I don't worry too terribly much about the main fuel filter, but it would be nice to have a confirmed source. They were even "made of unobtainium" from Crewe Original sources the last time I tried to find any.

Brian

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 334
Posted on Saturday, 29 August, 2015 - 08:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

£30 for the proper filter which you only need to change every 20 years or so doesn't seem that expensive to me. Help to keep the genuine one on the market.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Saturday, 29 August, 2015 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

The one that was available as a fuel oil filter is/was a genuine Crosland 444.

Sorry, but I don't think the Crewe Original markup is in any way worth paying.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 941
Posted on Sunday, 30 August, 2015 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It looks to me the Flying Spares filter has been specially manufactured. I have no idea if this is true, but if so, the small number of sales mean they are offering it as a service to owners, at around 30 ukp. The filter comes with two rubber seals. Always good to replace these also.

I did have a look round for a Crossland 444 before buying mine from FS. Like Brian, I found the 444 to be made of unobtainium.

I do agree with Bob though. 30 ukp is very reasonable for a part that will last 20 years.

I was pleased with the FS offering - the seals and filter were a perfect fit.

Here is a pic of the two filters, minus the seals. The FS one is on the right of the picture:

filter

Geoff

Alan Scard
New User
Username: alanscard

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 30 August, 2015 - 03:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks for all the responses. In looking at my 1996/97 AlliedSignal Coopers Filters catalogue the Purolator MFF377A = Coopers AZF826. The Crossland 444 = Coopers AZF826.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, 30 August, 2015 - 07:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

These filters have been difficult for some years. I fitted the complete filter assembly from a Spirit ( pre 20000 series ) some years ago to my Shadow. This is a straight swap and uses a common , easy to obtain filter, approx. £5 each.
Mark

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, 30 August, 2015 - 09:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Spirit is so early (ACH01253) it uses the Shadow filter.
Those poor lads at Flying Spares struggle to get their heads round it sometimes. But all gets sorted in the end.
Regards, Nigel.
Mark, do you think we can all get together sometime?

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, 31 August, 2015 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel, Sounds a good idea., Dick writes in on this site occasionally.Any other UK members wish to join us ?
Mark

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, 01 September, 2015 - 06:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That sounds like a good idea I would put my name forward as an interested UK member just need someone with organising skills to put it together.

Richard.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Tuesday, 01 September, 2015 - 07:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Members who joined us from the RRBEW Forum will be aware several successful UK get-togethers were organised through that forum for those who could reach the venue.

It is rewarding to see this tradition continuing using our forum as the means of communication. Perhaps some of our members visiting the UK at the time might also be able to attend if sufficient notice is given.