Repairing/Modifying the Lucas Opus Ig... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Repairing/Modifying the Lucas Opus Ignition Module « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Monday, 17 August, 2015 - 02:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had been searching long and hard to find information on the web about doing this and had pretty much come up empty. Recently I found this website:

Hacking (up) the Opus Ignition

which was related to the system on the TR8.

Then I received an e-mail from occasional poster David Lacey pointing me to:

Lucas Opus Ignition 35DE8: Repairing and Modifying the Ignition Pick-Up Module

which is the distributor in the SY2 series cars.

These are the only two references I've been able to locate with regard to rebuilding a Lucas Opus ignition module and both contain a lot of good information. I thought I'd post the links here so they go into the historical record.

Brian
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Lacey
Frequent User
Username: dlacey

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, 17 August, 2015 - 02:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,
Thanks for posting this. I can't find the author for the repair detailed in that second link, but it's clearly an RR application, as you can see the hydraulic pump adjacent to the dizzy in the first pic.
AFAIK this OPUS dizzy 35DE8 was fitted to late ('76) SY1 cars also. The TR8 is a 35DM8 which has an external electronic module on the dizzy case (later OPUS incarnation).
That second link shows a good repair with an upgrade of the main transistor...well worth bookmarking by all 76-on RR owners.