Old vs New air filter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Old vs New air filter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul White
Experienced User
Username: pjcwhite

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, 15 August, 2015 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys, although I can't seem to locate vacuum hose connection points in the engine bay I at least got one job done today (well 2 if you count replacing the radiator overflow hose).

I replaced the air filter on SRH39187 and have attached a picture of the old and new.
I suspect the old one is REALLY old.

Old vs new air filter

cheers
Paul

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 428
Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2015 - 05:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes the old one is a bit grotty.
4 types of airfilter.
Oil bath
Paper
Mesh
Centrifugal usually with oil bath.

Dyson didn't think of it first.

Shadow has paper or wire mesh they are interchangeable. The mesh one is in two pieces mine has wire mesh. Paper is better.

The sense of self satisfaction or smugness when one puts new service parts on a car offsets the cost.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 320
Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2015 - 08:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are also air filters made of sponge foam (Pancake type)

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Monday, 17 August, 2015 - 01:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's a real PITA, and expensive, to obtain the original air filter like the one shown with "paper in metal cage" in the USA.

There are alternatives if one wants to spare effort and expense and that work every bit as well as the original.

Air Filter Options to Replace the Crosland 9088 OEM filter:

- Replacing the original air filter with a K&N renewable, step-by-step:
http://rr-b.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/RRSSII_KandN.html

- If you prefer a paper filter very much like the original style, a Purolator A25841 (or WIX 49893,
Fram CA10616, Mobil/Luber-Liner/STP AF2893, or Motorcraft FA-1983) can be used with pretty
much precisely the same modifications as are shown for the K&N. It is 6”wide by 10” long, just slightly
shorter than the original Crosland 9088 filter. It also has a one closed end and one open like the K&N.

- Another option is to use two MicroGard GA14347, Federated AF905F, or WIX 46179 filters stacked
and taped together. Two of these in a stack are precisely the same length as the Crosland filter and the
same diameter.

Brian