Another mystery vacuum hose Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Another mystery vacuum hose « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul White
Experienced User
Username: pjcwhite

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, 09 August, 2015 - 04:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys, I have another mystery vacuum hose (if that is indeed what it is?).
It disappears into the front rh side of the engine compartment just to the left of the air intake and filter.

This is on SRH39187 (RH drive).

Mystery hose

I have had a good scan around with a decent light source but cannot find any likely connection point.

I started the car for the first time in a couple of months due to the sorting out of the hydraulics / brakes and it ran very rough.
This was just a "pre-bleed" check for hydraulic system leaks after replacing accumulator valves, spheres, pressure switch overhaul and replacement of brake hoses. No cigar yet on that front but almost...

cheers
Paul

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, 09 August, 2015 - 06:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is that the water overflow hose from the steam valve on the header tank?

Paul White
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, 09 August, 2015 - 07:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff, no it's not that. I just checked and that particular hose is brittle too and looks to be an original hose which needs replacing as well.

Thanks
Paul

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, 09 August, 2015 - 07:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The photo is too dark for me to see properly, but from your description, this might be the hose that controls the air intake temperature flap underneath the wing. The thing that we were talking about a few weeks ago.

Does it go through the side of the engine compartment into the wing?

Paul White
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, 09 August, 2015 - 08:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You could be right Bob. It's in that area but heads off more towards the front of the car more than the right hand wing.
It disappears down just to the left of the air intake.

I'll re-read those posts.

Thanks
Paul

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Monday, 10 August, 2015 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

This figure from Chapter U might help:

Figure U39

I'm also completely with Jon Waples as far as his recommendation for replacing vacuum hoses goes. I use nothing but silicone hoses when I do this now. They're much more compliant and silicone doesn't harden, get brittle, and crack like the stuff in use when these cars were built does.

Between those hoses, anti-seize lube, and extended-life antifreeze (non-EHA formula) I can't decide which is the "best thing since sliced bread."

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 386
Posted on Monday, 10 August, 2015 - 06:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That there pipe is for the air intake flap temperature thingy. If you suck it and it flows easy then the pipe is busted under the wing. Easy fix. New pipes.

Silicon hoses are good but do they collapse under vacuum.

I use diesel injector leak off pipe for vacuum stuff it has quite a thick wall and is cotton braided. It looks very Royce and period.

My vacuum pipe for the cruise control has gone as hard as nails. It hard enough to shatter. This is to big for leak off pipe so I shall use cotton braided diesel fuel hose. Its all cheap from my pipe guy.

I have a oxygen nose nostril breathing thingy. It's like screen wash hose except is a double pipe that branches out into two. This is silicon. Very strong stuff. Very high quality plugs and sockets.

Paul White
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, 10 August, 2015 - 08:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bob, Brian and Robert, I now have an idea where it connects and what it does !.
I actually cleaned up and repainted the hot air scoop recently when removing the pressure switch on that side, that's likely when the brittle hose broke.
I have some vacuum hose left over from the fuel weakener fix the other week so will use that.

cheers
Paul

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Monday, 10 August, 2015 - 09:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob UK wrote:Silicon hoses are good but do they collapse under vacuum.

Not if you get ones with sufficient hardness. The stuff I use came from McMaster-Carr and is their "firm" silicone tubing. I haven't had any of this collapse and I've now installed all the diameters I ordered (but haven't redone every single vacuum hose).

Brian

Paul White
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, 15 August, 2015 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys, well, although I am armed with new vacuum hose, I have yet to locate the temperature sensor and vacuum points to which it connects.

I have a couple of pictures of the area where it should be in case anyone can see what I obviously can't.

Thanks
Paul

Paul White
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2015 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys, mystery solved. I located this vacuum pump near the rhs shock in the engine bay. One vacuum hose was connected still which ran along the front wing and into the same area as the vacuum flap hose.
The hole on the top, I suspect, is where the other vacuum hose that I am replacing connects.

In situ.

Pump

After cleaning up and repainting.

Repainted vacuum pump

cheers
Paul

Paul White
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2015 - 08:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ha ! I wasn't even close with that...
Turns out that the object is the air compressor for the optional Fiamm air horns !

The boffins at FS recognised it.