All british car show Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » All british car show « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

shane alward
Experienced User
Username: the_gambler

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 06 August, 2015 - 06:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

sorry for the sore necks people. hopefully one of the moderators can rotate the photos

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Thursday, 06 August, 2015 - 08:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Shane is sharing a few pics from the all British car show held in Newcastle last month and had problems with the orientation of the images and apologises as follows:-

Sorry for the sore necks people. hopefully one of the moderators can rotate the photos.....

Have rotated and reloaded Shane's images below before deleting original posts. David

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 894
Posted on Friday, 07 August, 2015 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That threw me for a second. I was impressed at the restoration of these Shadows, not a trace of rust on them. Then I realized the British show in Newcastle was in fact the Australian Newcastle, and not the UK Newcastle. No wonder these cars are in such great condition. I doubt most Australians have ever seen the corrosive effect of the salt that has to be dumped on the roads, both in the UK and North America, each winter. Salt is an absolute car killer. Our Ozzie friends are so fortunate in not having to contend with this annual onslaught.

Geoff.

David Gore

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Friday, 07 August, 2015 - 08:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Our climate is not as kind as you think - salt spray deposits from the afternoon sea breezes within 1 kilometre or so from the sea are a perennial problem.

The hygroscopic nature of the salt deposits absorbing moisture from the air makes these deposits highly corrosive if not washed off as soon as they form followed by thorough rinsing to wash out any residues from inside the body panels.

Exactly the same problem as road salt in the UK but confined to the immediate vicinity of the ocean.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 951
Posted on Saturday, 08 August, 2015 - 03:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Our climate is not as kind as you think"

Ah so that is why the shadow is fitted with chrome wheel arch covers.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 377
Posted on Saturday, 08 August, 2015 - 05:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fortunately in Bournemouth the use of salt is rare. I don't use the Shadow on the once in a blue moon time they put salt down. I keep away from the sea front in bad weather. In Cornwall I have seen cars rotted out in 10 years from new.

I once put salt on the inside of a windshield to remove ice because the van had no doors and ice had formed inside. With in days the top of the metal dashboard had gone rusty.

The gold Shadow does look nice. I have always thought that the flared arches on later models didn't quite look right. But the gold one looks right.
The chrome wheel arch trims are very Mercedes. I am not sure I like them. If its covering up rust then it would be much cheaper to just repair the rust.

The second car is also nice but the fog lamps are incorrect. I would take them off or turn the brackets upside down and fit under bumper. Thus freeing up the view of the front air vents. My car SRH 17768 has no front air vents and non flared arches.

Vents and flares sounds like Jacket and trousers. Vent being the flap at the bottom back of the jacket. West London slang.

Three very nice looking shadows.

I think the gold one is on YouTube somewhere showing the respray work.

Rust wise on my car. The bit under the battery box. A inch wide strip where the right hand rear floor meets the rear seat platform. I let 18swg steel in and a thick coating of body shultz. Under the battery carrier I stone chipped and then colour coat on top. One would have a job to find the repairs. A sound solid car. I swear by spraying oil onto old underseal. It keeps the underseal soft and self repairing.

David Gore

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Saturday, 08 August, 2015 - 08:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, DRH14434 had fog lights and a badge bar fitted as factory options and these are fitted in a similar location to both display cars:

Corniche

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 382
Posted on Saturday, 08 August, 2015 - 09:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought that the spot lamps should be Lucas square eights with Stainless bodies.

In any case the fog lamps have always had me in dither because they clutter the front of the car.

My car has cut outs in the valance between bumper and front upright panel so obviously original as all the Shadows were.

My car doesn't have front air vents so the spots don't obscure any details. However if I remove the spots it does look nicer.

I don't like badge bars or badges. Shadow 1s were never badged as a Shadow except for under the bonnet. No V8 badge.

The factory would fit more or less anything to a car if the customer desired.

When I got my Jeep the first thing I did was to remove side rock bars bull bar fog lamps and light guards. The declutter made the Jeep look so much better rather than an explosion in a 4x4 shop.

I prefer the wheel trims on 14434. Mine are the standard one piece 15" ones.
But if the car is being shown then the judges will expect to see spots fitted and correct wheel trims.

Notice that the MPW dhc wheel arches are narrow. Maroon suits the car well

David Gore

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Saturday, 08 August, 2015 - 08:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

The badge bar originally carried AA [UK], AAA [Australia] and NRMA [National Roads and Motorists Association] membership badges. When father-in-law died and the car usage became more frequent, the badges were removed by the family to be kept for posterity as they were collectible items and attractive targets for thieves.

If you look hard at the number plate fascia, you can see the mounting holes for the original UK plates and the NSW Bicentennial plates fitted when the car first arrived in Australia; I replaced these plates with the personalised "thin line" plates shown in the photograph just before the photo was taken.

The car colour is Coffee Bean Brown and car was polished with Meguiars Yellow Wax polish which gives the "wet look" mirror finish.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 383
Posted on Sunday, 09 August, 2015 - 06:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First RR I have seen in coffee bean brown I thought it was maroon, Imperial red.

I am not anti badge and its totally up to the keeper of the car.

My front no plate bracket has a chrome back plate which the number plate proper fits into. The rear is the same. The no plates are glued in. No screws visible.

When you get a chance remove the spot lamps and look at the front of the car for a week or so. You may find you like the clean look.

I did ponder fitting spot lamps in the front panel below the bumper by frenching them in like custom guys do. An advantage being that one can get some very much better spot lamps nowadays.

The Corniche has a lower crown line than the shadow. Corniches are going up in value and I predict DHC will soon top the £75k mark.

I do like this car in coffee bean brown. In the 70s there was a vogue for brown cars. Rover P6 in Tabacco looked good. Coffee bean brown is redder than Rovers version.

David Gore

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Sunday, 09 August, 2015 - 08:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

Unfortunately the car has not been under my care since 2004 as it was sold as a consequence of a marriage breakdown and property settlement. I do not know where it is now.

It had a hard life in the UK before it was purchased by my father-in-law and I was half-way through restoring the problems from the poor work done on it by the past owners.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, 09 August, 2015 - 09:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I remember you saying this before but I didnt want to assume. I thought it impolite.

A great shame the car was taken away before it was finished. Unfinished business sort of thing.

Fortunately for me I am feeling much better and I am blitzing my car and digging deep into a very comprehensive service. I am taking advantage of the opportunity to get stuck in.

Rolls - Royces are such Robust cars that even hard life ones will survive with expert attention.

Of course if one uses the car to transport coal on the back seat the car will still keep going but it will damage the interior.

Some of the postings I read are scary. Like the ones about liners and broken main brg bridges. But they are thankfully rare. And with clean oil and clean antifreeze these engines just carry on going. The 3 speed gearbox only really needs fluid and filter change say every 50k miles. The hydraulics only need clean fluid and new brake pads every 2 years and when the pads get a bit thin. ( 3mm of fricton material minimum).

We pamper our cars with over frequent fluid changes. My Mobil 1 engine oil has done approx 2500 miles. Plus this is on lpg. So official engineering knowledge says that if RR recommend 6000 for oil changes on mineral oil then we can go more miles on Mobil 1 and if the engine is running on Lpg then further miles can be added. At a guess Mobil 1 in my circumstances will probably be OK to 12000 miles. Plus the filter is very large. But at 6000 miles I will change the oil.

We fret we worry we pamper. It's fun. It's a hobby. A hobby without problems to overcome is a boring hobby.

The first owners I doubt even lifted the bonnet for a quick engine polish up like we do.

Graeme Söderlund
Prolific User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2015 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No, Bob & Patrick, the chrome wheel arch trims are NOT covering up rust. They were fitted to "lift" the appearance of the car and in my opinion, they do this admirably. As we so often read, it is all a matter of personal taste - and SRH17499 is a different car to that which was originally delivered. You probably wouldn't like the headlamp protectors, but on our roads, they serve a very useful purpose.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, 12 August, 2015 - 04:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As you say personal taste.

I won't argue too much about personal taste because most peoples personal taste changes.

Safety and legal stuff has to be fitted.

I don't like seat belts. Because they don't add to the aesthetics of the interior. But I won't drive a car unless it has seat belts because out of all the safety stuff in cars the humble seat belt is the most effective safety bit. I insist that passenger wear seat belts as well. Over 16 year olds are legally responsible for the seat belt use, not the driver in the UK.

Local conditions also play a part in accessories. Such as fog lamps in places that are prone to regular mists or fogs.