Boot lid carpet. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Boot lid carpet. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 359
Posted on Saturday, 01 August, 2015 - 06:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My boot lid carpet is falling off. I have been dreading this job so much to go not wrong but not quite right. The carpet is black with black piping. The little black buttons keep falling out. It's so frustrating.

So I found the red masonry wall plugs fit the holes and of course self tapppers fit the Rawlplugs. The plugs are too long do I cut them in half with side cutters. THE RAWLPLUGS ARE TO LONG AND WHEN HAMMERED IN WILL DENT THE OUTER BOOT LID SKIN. I shall stop shouting.

Under the self tappers are countersunk brass cabinet washers the underside raised edge bites into the carpet. Black paint on the screws.

I now have to unscrew every thing and glue up with 3M tough as old boots trim gloo.

I am going to unscrew one side glue it refit screws then repeat for other side.

I still don't fancy the job of gluing though.

Also Ì need 2 hold down eyes fitting. More holes in the boot carpet. My electric scooter rolls around. It could do a mischief to ma battery Boss.

Its a shame about the buttons but they have to go. Also my left hand carpet flap for rear light bulb access lift popper has come out of the flap. And the boot lid seal is coming away about 6" long on a straight bit. 3M glue.

Onward and upward old boy.

Graeme Söderlund
Prolific User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, 03 August, 2015 - 03:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Know this problem well - I spent time on Saturday trying to buy 3M Spray trim adhesive to do the job! Please keep us informed - I am trying to figure out how to keep the carpet in place while the adhesive sets!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Tuesday, 04 August, 2015 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graeme,

For this sort of thing I've found that one can get quite creative by scavenging the large styrofoam protection/support wedges from appliance boxes and creating the shape you need (including some surface curvature) by cutting these up and taping them together.

The resulting form can be held in place, and tightly, against the carpet using either tape to hold it or a bungee cord.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, 04 August, 2015 - 04:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am thinking of a large plastic bag filled with rags and similar. Then shut the boot lid. I haven't glued it yet.

My fear is that the 3M trim tack is not going to work due to existing old glue.

I have glued a bit of scrap carpet with builders silicone glue to a piece of aluminium and it seems to work.

I did think about removing the boot lid and doing the job upside down. But the risk of the boot lid falling of the stands and ending up on the floor worrys me.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 311
Posted on Tuesday, 04 August, 2015 - 06:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Get a load of kiddies ballons. Blow them up and put them all in the boot and shut the lid. Use empty cardboard boxes for void fill.

The balloons will conform perfectly to the contours of the boot lid and they will exert as much pressure as you like.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 366
Posted on Tuesday, 04 August, 2015 - 07:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Balloons --- good idea.

Paul White
Experienced User
Username: pjcwhite

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, 04 August, 2015 - 08:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

...and the day after, open the boot and have a party !

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, 04 August, 2015 - 09:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Balloons appeal to my sense of humour. A bit of fun offsets the pita of this job.

A the moment I have all the buttons replaced with screws and washers. The fixings look OK. The glue is in the post.

These little details make a car much better. Also so far the boot carpet tidy up has taken 4 hours. But getting it right takes patience and time. Its not difficult just annoying.

Brians idea is good I have some left over from building islolation job.

Trouble is is the mess that stuff makes when it's sawn up.

Glue wise there are options such as double sided sticky carpet tape from a proper carpet fitter 3M do good stuff. I am going to test my scrap test piece by seeing how hard it is to peel off.
Trouble with contact adhesives like evostick is that if there is old glue then the new glue doesn't work as well.
Hopefully the builders silicone glue will pass the test. I have used this stuff to glue plastic to metal.

Paul White
Experienced User
Username: pjcwhite

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, 04 August, 2015 - 09:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I replaced the sagging headlining in my XJ6 a long time ago I used an adhesive for "vertical" applications (tiles and the like). Worked well.