Deletion of Front Height Control Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Deletion of Front Height Control « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 - 04:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know from the Chassis Numbers Booklet of 1983 that front height control was deleted as of chassis number 7404 in August 1969.

What I thought I'd seen in the technical library at one time was a service bulletin regarding disabling the front height control system on the cars that had it when they were brought in for routine service, but I can't seem to find that now even using a web search engine on site:rrtechnical.info.

Does this bulletin exist on the technical library and, if so, could someone point me to it?

Also, I could swear that I once saw a "principles of operation" document for the height control system that went into the details about the system not coming into play unless the car was laden with enough weight in the back to cause the system to activate, but can't seem to find this, either. I don't know that I've ever seen this sort of thing related to the front system. The workshop manual makes enough allusions that one can figure this out, but if anyone knows of documentation like I've described please point me to it.

Brian

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 - 04:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I also have a vague memory of a service document to disable it, but I didn’t pay much attention at the time as my car is much later and never had it.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 319
Posted on Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 - 06:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The method I have seen is to use blanking plugs. Disconnect feed to front and blank disconnect return line and blank the side that goes to reservoir. Finally at the rear disconnect the line from the fast solenoid that goes to the front and blank the fast solenoid side.

Another way is to put ball bearings in the unions.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 - 06:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

Actually, I'm aware of how one can disable the front or rear height control system using either of the methods you mention. What I'm trying to find is an official Crewe service bulletin instructing dealers to disable the front height control and how to do it. I could swear I've seen this somewhere, but if I did I didn't bother to collect it for my archive.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 - 08:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I suspect it may have been in the original Shadow Workshop manual before TSD2476 or a Service Bulletin but cannot be sure.

Like everyone else, I remember seeing the procedure but as I didn't need it, I never kept a copy.